Have they changed Stoveglow to non-smokeless?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I had no idea it was not supposedly smokeless, but yes there was more smoke, I mentioned this a few times before posting that picture. When buying a "smokeless" fuel, if something is odd about how my stove acts I assume it is me, that i have done something odd to it or that a range of factors are causing a one-off issue, because that is usually the case!

The coal was not wet, the stove had not just been lit.

I hope that bringing to light the change in Stoveglow's composition helps some people, but I am going over and over the same points over and over again here now and getting shot in the arse for it or told I am blatantly wrong about what has happened from some quarters, so I am going to leave this thread to its own devices now.

I hope no one else has any issues with it.

If the fuel has a lot of volatiles in it like wood or normal coal, it's best to burn with plenty of air til they've burnt off, otherwise they can recondense in the flue and cause problems.

Maybe it'd be good to have some proper smokeless like Phurnacite for staying in and slow burning in mild weather, then some budget stuff for cheap 'bulk' heat when it's bitterly cold and you want to run your stove like a Bessemer furnace - well not quite like that... :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

did you only notice once you had read this thread?

It all added up after I saw this thread, I have just lost my only child to cancer so had more on my mind.

Yes, clearly I am just gaslighting everyone and there is actually nothing amiss here.... :rolleyes:

Star by any chance have you had a sore throat since burning the coal, ? Only asking as I have had a sore throat and wondered should I go to the docs or stop burning the coal :-)

ILMN how sad. I can't find the right words to say to you.

All I can offer is a hug.

(((((((i love my narrowboat)))))))

MtB

Mtb thank you , that was a very nice hug xx totally devastated and heartbroken, people say it was for a reason,, but for the life of me I will never understand nor come to terms why my boy left this earth before me :-( xx

Hugs from me too ILMN

Kind regards Bizzard.

Thank you Bizzard xx. Feel lost without my boy ( he really was the best thing in my whole life, from the moment he was born I loved him like nothing else on earth) he was a wonderful dad to his little girl and the most loving son any mum could wish for xx

Thankfully I have never experienced it but people say that when their child dies it is doubly devastating as it runs against the grain of nature. The natural way of things is for the parents to die first.

MtB

My brother's little girl died of meningitis aged 18 months and you can never know the pain until it happens to yourself. My younger brother died age 44 and now know why my mum reacted the way she did when he died. It is horrible and not fair :-( xx

I tried to pm you ILMN but my tablet and message boards don't find it easy to communicate. And like others before me I'm at a loss to give added comfort at this time. But I would just like to convey a heartfelt desire that, though you live forever with the sadness, you still have fond memories that you must cling to and with time they will become stronger. Hugs

Stewart

Starcoaster, just wanted to add to your smokeless debate.... Thankfully we used up the last of the smelly smoky and temperamental fuel yesterday. We now on proper (?) smokeless fuel that is darn sight nicer .... It probably made by the same company but already I'm breathing more easily (or is it breathing easier?). Anyway, ty for bringing the change of product to my attention xx

Edited by pelicanafloat

I tried to pm you ILMN but my tablet and message boards don't find it easy to communicate. And like others before me I'm at a loss to give added comfort at this time. But I would just like to convey a heartfelt desire that, though you live forever with the sadness, you still have fond memories that you must cling to and with time they will become stronger. Hugs

Stewart

Starcoaster, just wanted to add to your smokeless debate.... Thankfully we used up the last of the smelly smoky and temperamental fuel yesterday. We now on proper (?) smokeless fuel that is darn sight nicer .... It probably made by the same company but already I'm breathing more easily (or is it breathing easier?). Anyway, ty for bringing the change of product to my attention xx

Think you Stewart people have been so kind, I talk to him every day while walking my dogs and I say to him " for once Carl mum does have the last word " makes me smile and brightens my dark days :-( xx

Think you Stewart people have been so kind, I talk to him every day while walking my dogs and I say to him " for once Carl mum does have the last word " makes me smile and brightens my dark days :-( xx

That made me smile too!

Just thought I'd say :)

MtB

I wonder if it is Stoveglow that the boat in front of us is burning because it is sending a hell of a lot of smoke our way. Very antisocial. We have had to shut all of the windows.

If the moorings were not so busy (with sewer tubes leaving 20ft gaps between them I hasten to add) we would move but if we want our fish and chips tonight we will have to stay put:(

• 11 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread. Is anyone burning Stoveglow this year, and if so, how is it? The local fuel place to us here in the fens has Stoveglow at a good price and I'm tempted.

I've bought a bag to try, and will report back, but I'm interested to hear what others are finding.

We've also used Pureheat this year, which is good, but makes lots and lots of ash, and some stuff the we bought cheap from Mike Askin (can't remember the name) which was not Stoveglow, but similar, a mixture of different types and quite a lot of dust and crap in a yellow bag. That wasn't ashy but is was a bit sulphurous.

MP.

I only got my stove sorted out less than a fortnight ago after the prior year's debacle, and it took pretty much two days, so I won't be risking it again! Stoveglow is defo non smokeless and seems to be well known as such this year, I am burning Pureheat, which is my favourite and I don't find it produces a lot of ash at all- about a third of the amount of ash I found with Stoveglow, even when it was smokeless!

Edited by Starcoaster

I also have an old Heron Villager stove, and I can confirm the baffle plate is welded and therefore cannot be removed. I have just ran out of last years Stove Glow, but my marina were out of it so I had to buy a more expensive brand. I will check it out when they have some in stock, but finances may dictate that I have to keep on using it. Thanks for the warning!

Wish I'd seen this thread a week ago as I now have 6 bags of Stove Glow on the roof which I bought as the coal boat on the K&A recommended it. To be fair I've been using it for a few days and it seems to burn ok in my Valor Arden. A bit smoky until it is well lit and glowing. Will go back to Super Therm when this is used up.