Ian Langford

Heartland

Featured Posts

Very sad to hear. The Towpath Guide to the Staffs and Worc.is an excellent piece of work .I have the Guide no1(Staffs and Worc),no3 (Stourbridge)and no4 (Montgomery). Was there a Guide no2 ever published. Dr Langford wrote no 1 and no 3.

Very sad to hear. I attended one of his talks on the Dudley tunnels many years ago and still have the notes he gave out. A truly knowledgable and inspiring man who quite literaly gave you the need to go and find out. His work is still amonst the best there is on the waterways he covered.

I was sorry to learn this too. His writings were very thorough and informative. A pity the Towpath Guides did not continue; the late Neil Pitts told me that he had written a volume covering the Trent & Mersey, but this was never published.

Oddly, I was walking up and down the Stourbridge Canal locks recently, and wondering about Dr Langford and his work.

Joseph

Very sad to hear. The Towpath Guide to the Staffs and Worc.is an excellent piece of work .I have the Guide no1(Staffs and Worc),no3 (Stourbridge)and no4 (Montgomery). Was there a Guide no2 ever published. Dr Langford wrote no 1 and no 3.

No. 2 was the Monmouthshire, Brecknock and Abergavenny Canals: in the same style but not by Ian Langford IIRC.

His work certainly set the standard for describing the archaeology of a canal in great but accessible detail.