Open weekend at Ellesmere Port

Ray T

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

We weren't inundated at Wigan either, but the visitors we had to the L&LC Soc stand in the offices were all interested and asked intelligent questions, not something which happens at every event. I also got to chat with some of the CRT volunteers and staff, which was useful.

Glad the event at Wigan went well. I think it was a mistake to hold so many events on the same day.

Beaker, over publicity, I was asked to provide details for a press release ("well-known waterways historian"), including a title "From archive to publication"; an announcement was made on the website, using the same link as that at the top of this page; subsequently, that page was (seemingly) amended to remove any reference to my talk. On the day, there were no signs up to direct any visitors to the archive, and I only saw two people visit the archives in the three hours that I sat there.

I spent a lot of time preparing for this event; I did not have a lecture prepared with the title titled "From archive to publication"; I do now!

I am a great supporter of the National Waterways Museum, but I found this very disappointing. It is no use asking people to volunteer and then failing to provide for them. I don't see how this can be conducive to goodwill.

Ah well, you can't win them all!

Joseph

For the Wigan event, we had two opening times, either from 11 to 4 of from 10 to 2-30. The second were the actual times, so I suspect there was not sufficient discussion between the centre and the local office over what exactly was being arranged. Richard Parry was also supposed to be there, but I never saw him, which seems a bit unfortunate, though I'm not sure who for.