Accumulator location

weeble

Featured Posts

At the moment my water pump and accumlator are fitted near the bow bulkhead under a fixed seat, but over the next few weeks I want to take out the fixed seating and replace it with a convertable bed-settee. I can build a small corner/TV unit to contain the pump, but the accumulator is a bit more of a problem.

My question is: does the accumulator have to be near the pump to be effective or is it OK to move it to (say) under the sink (14-16 ft away)? Logic says it will pressurise the system no matter where it is fitted, but.......

Cheers.... mike

Hi Mike

It will not matter where you put it it is just to balance the flow and stop the pump switching on every time you turn on the tap.

Richard/Weeble

It does matter where the accumulator is fitted. It must be after the pump, but before the first draw off point. If it is after the first draw off point it will be useless, as the pressure will be being controlled by this draw off point. Fitted before the draw off point it exerts a pressure on the flow from the pump to the draw off, smoothing out the pump pulses. It can be any where on this run of pipe but the nearer the pump the better they seem to work.

can not see what the diferance would be as regards going after the first tap.

I dont think it would matter, now that i think about it!

- Certainly it would not matter at all if the pipes provided no resitance at all, but as they do, its still best to keep the acumulator as close to the pump as is convinant.

- why dont you move the pump unto the sink while you at it?

danel

- why dont you move the pump unto the sink while you at it?

danel

Hi Daniel,

I don't want to move the pump because of the rewiring complications -- the wiring is behind the plywood lining. This job isn't intended as a major refit, just to replace the currently uncomfortable fixed bench seating with more suitable alternative. And I can get away with hiding the pump in the bottom of a corner unit quite easily. I can fit the accumulator under the sink on the pump side of the CW tap quite easily so that should solve the problem.

Cheers.... mike

Hi Daniel,

I don't want to move the pump because of the rewiring complications -- the wiring is behind the plywood lining. This job isn't intended as a major refit, just to replace the currently uncomfortable fixed bench seating with more suitable alternative. And I can get away with hiding the pump in the bottom of a corner unit quite easily.  I can fit the accumulator under the sink on the pump side of the CW tap quite easily so that should solve the problem.

Cheers.... mike

Yeah, sounds great. Thats what i would do.

daniel

Is your accumulator an expansion vessel for the hot water system as well? If not you do not necessarily need it

Gary

Hi Gary,

Not too sure about this, my knowledge on these sysems is scant. The accumulator is presently fitted in the cold water feed immediately after the water pump. The hot water system is a calorifier mounted under the cruiser stern deck.

I asked a question about the purpose of the accumulator, in conjunction with intermitent bursts of pump activity in the middle of the night, on here about a year ago and it led to some discussion on whether or not it was essential to have one. I think at the time it was about a 50/50 split in opinion.

Cheers... mike

I fitted a Jabsco Sensor Max pump 15 months ago, and am pleased with it. They are variable speed/constant pressure so are very quiet at low flow rates. People can wash their hands or get a glass of water in the middle of the night without waking up everyone else.

You don't need an accumulator, but you need to be sure that you don't have any small leaks as they will quietly feed a leak without you noticing. Also they are not cheap.

I was in favour of accumulators with normal pumps until I saw what came out of mine when I removed it.

Phil

Phil I have put my accumulator in the hot water leg form the hot water cylinder. it is only relly there to accomodate expansion. As it is in the hot water side it does not affect the cold water and so we do not have to weorry about the accumulation of nasties! Leading on from a comment above as my accumulator is after the cold water take off it has no effect on smoothing out the cold water supply but I have no probs with this. Generally on a system where it is close to the pump if you take off any more than a small amount of water the pump will kick in anyway

Gary

The main benefit is that it will stop that rapid cycling of the pump, it smooths out the pressure waves which occur with displacement pumps. Things tend to work better, Paloma heater, mixer taps and the pump does not respond to tiny leaks. It should be fitted in the cold water supply after the pump but the position is not critical.

I have a home made accumulator, along with an uprated pressure switch and relay operation for the pump. Remember if you have problems with the Sureflo pressure switch (pump won't start or won't stop) don't throw the pump away.

Thanks to everyone for the useful comments.

The TV is powered from 12V, so no potential 240V problems. I'll only have to move it a couple feet from its present position. The RF interference may increase slightly (I suffer a small amount already) but with normal pump usage in the evening I can live with that.

Although it may not be essential I think the accumulator has some benificial effects on the system. The last time I brought up the subject here on the forum I found it had lost some of its pressure, and when I re-pressurised it correctly (thanks to advice from John I think) it definitely reduced the amount of nocturnal pump operation.

Cheers... mike

Phil I have put my accumulator in the hot water leg form the hot water cylinder. it is only relly there to accomodate expansion. As it is in the hot water side it does not affect the cold water and so we do not have to weorry about the accumulation of nasties! Leading on from a comment above as my accumulator is after the cold water take off it has no effect on smoothing out the cold water supply but I have no probs with this. Generally on a system where it is close to the pump if you take off any more than a small amount of water the pump will kick in anyway

Gary

Gary

You are using the accumulator as an expansion vessel, is this instead of, or as well as, a pressure relief valve on the cylinder.

Gary

You are using the accumulator as an expansion vessel, is this instead of, or as well as, a pressure relief valve on the cylinder.

you can eliminate the nocturnal pump cycling by fitting an isolating switch on the water pump which you switch off at night.you can still fill the odd kettle from the built up pressure in the system and everyone gets a good nights sleep as well!

best thing ever fitted to my boat in my opinion.

alan

you can eliminate the nocturnal pump cycling by fitting an isolating switch on the water pump which you switch off at night.you can still fill the odd kettle from the built up pressure in the system and everyone gets a good nights sleep as well!

best thing ever fitted to my boat in my opinion.

alan

yeah, that what we do.

- we have the switch under the kitchen sink (just insode the cupbaord)

- the at night, i fill a kettal for me (whos sleeps in the galley)

- and then that leaves enough water in acumulator for my grandad to get glass or two out of bathroom tap as well.

daniel

Although it may not be essential I think the accumulator has some benificial effects on the system. The last time I brought up the subject here on the forum I found it had lost some of its pressure, and when I re-pressurised it correctly (thanks to advice from John I think) it definitely reduced the amount of nocturnal pump operation.

Cheers... mike

Colin - the expansion vessel is in addition to the pressure relief valve (yet to be fitted). I have my system running at 10 PSI as I am using a standard domestic hot water cylinder. Have fitted a separate induastrial pressure switch. The drop in pressure seems to have very little effect on water flow rates when the taps are fully open. Have a full size bath and this fills up very quickly

Gary