Another introduction from a new boat owner

PeterF

Featured Posts

Hello there,

I have only recently found this forum and been reading old posts etc. very inetresting and something I will keep coming back to and hopefully contributing to.

I am not new to boating, first experience was as an 18year old on the Llangollen many years ago on a schoolmate's dad's boat. I also married into a boating family, with my father in law having a cruiser then a narrowboat in the 1980s we we made use of, always wanting to have our own boat. Since he sold that in 1990 or so we have had several hire boat holidays culminating on the Llangollen this August. I made the mistake of buying Waterways world in Ellesmere - with the result that 2 months later we have an empty bank account (we downsized house last year) and a 2nd hand 55ft cruiser stern Narrowboat - bought as Shirley Lousie but being renamed to Kingfisher. We have just completed our first run taking the boat from Thorne to Shepley Bridge on the Calder and Hebble to beat the Woodnook stoppage this month.

All of our previous boating has been done in the East and West Midlands, this was our first trip on the North East waterways, we both some from the midlands but now work in the North East, hence the choice of location. My wife was a little aprehensive about the commercial traffic on the Aire and Calder but this turned out to be less of a problem when we met Rix Eagle one of the petroleum barges at Pollington. I suppose it was a case of the unkown, but the midlands canals are more intimate. We are looking forward to tidying the boat up over the winter and then exploring the pennine canals next year as these are terra incognito for us.

Hello there,

I have only recently found this forum and been reading old posts etc. very inetresting and something I will keep coming back to and hopefully contributing to.

I am not new to boating, first experience was as an 18year old on the Llangollen many years ago on a schoolmate's dad's boat. I also married into a boating family, with my father in law having a cruiser then a narrowboat in the 1980s we we made use of, always wanting to have our own boat. Since he sold that in 1990 or so we have had several hire boat holidays culminating on the Llangollen this August. I made the mistake of buying Waterways world in Ellesmere - with the result that 2 months later we have an empty bank account (we downsized house last year) and a 2nd hand 55ft cruiser stern Narrowboat - bought as Shirley Lousie but being renamed to Kingfisher. We have just completed our first run taking the boat from Thorne to Shepley Bridge on the Calder and Hebble to beat the Woodnook stoppage this month.

All of our previous boating has been done in the East and West Midlands, this was our first trip on the North East waterways, we both some from the midlands but now work in the North East, hence the choice of location. My wife was a little aprehensive about the commercial traffic on the Aire and Calder but this turned out to be less of a problem when we met Rix Eagle one of the petroleum barges at Pollington. I suppose it was a case of the unkown, but the midlands canals are more intimate. We are looking forward to tidying the boat up over the winter and then exploring the pennine canals next year as these are terra incognito for us.

Welcome PeterF, have a beeeer :)