gas tap on my belling hob

goodboy

Featured Posts

one of the taps on my belling hob no longer stays alight the thermocouple gone me think's

no it as a electrical connection to value in the gas tap never seen one before

any way as it will not stay alight will it pass the bss like this or is it £30 for anew one

I obtained and successfully replaced a thermocouple on an Italian made Techimpex oven/hob whist anchored in the beautiful but remote San Blas islands off Panama. One of the most unlikely locations for such a repair.

A call on the local VHF net had a nearby yotty part with a second hand one which although it had longer cable, fitted perfectly.

I'm going to buy anew hob after xmas, this time i will have a smeg it/s better stainless steel and better quality

I don't see the safety issue ( bottle ) when it will not stay lit on the small burner we never use anyway .

"we never use anyway" cuts no ice when assessing an appliance for gas safety. If it's there and connected to the gas supply it HAS to be be safe. No temporary or intermediate options.

But as I said, defaulting to the safe condition is fine. Argue the toss and lodge a formal appeal if the BSS bod says otherwise.

MtB

Do your not have to have all parts of a hob working for the BSS?

If one burner can't be demonstrated running, could it not be argued they can't know it would be OK, if it then came back to life. Might not stay burning with clean blue flame for example.

Do your not have to have all parts of a hob working for the BSS?

If one burner can't be demonstrated running, could it not be argued they can't know it would be OK, if it then came back to life. Might not stay burning with clean blue flame for example.

Correct - a non-working burner will not pass the flame pattern test - check item 8.8.1

Correct - a non-working burner will not pass the flame pattern test - check item 8.8.1

But according to the OP the 'flame picture' CAN be checked. Just keep holding the knob down to bypass the flame supervision and the burner lights normally.

The other acceptable way of making a single ring on a hob 'safe' is to remove the control knob so it can't be operated, so we are taught on our ACS exams.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman