Is it worth insulating a 32' GRP cruiser?

jack2

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am rescuing a Senior/project31.

Is it worth insulating it? It will not be used overnight in the winter but mainly summer use.

I have been looking at super quilt or similar.

Is it worth the hassle and if so what adhesive is the easiest to use?

Love to hear your thoughts.

if you have the spare cash then why not?it will leave you with the option of using it in the winter which is a great time for boating ,like on a calm crispy morning.i would also think it would add some value if you decided to sell in the future.my friend has a 27 footer that he uses to stay in at least once a week,he allso added one of those small potbelly stoves,comfy as hell and warms up quick. paul

Is it an ex Norfolk Broads hire cruiser?

I reckon it will probably be a fairly fiddly job, but only you can judge whether it will be worthwhile.

Just a suggestion, but maybe you should complete all the other refitting jobs first and see how comfortable it is aboard during your first season afloat.......... this assumes that you will not be stripping out all the interior fittings during your *rescue* work. If you are stripping a substantial part of the interior then it might be a good idea to fit the insulation first.

Did this type of boat have any insulation when they were in the hire fleets? - that might give an indication of whether or not insulation is necessary/desirable as the useage might not be too dissimilar to what you intend.

Good luck with your project. They look a nice boat.

Edited by PhilR

To the best of my knowledge these boats did not form part of any Hire Fleet. In point of fact it is not usual for Broads boats to be insulated, however that may not be the case for newer boats.

As a ex Broads boat live aboard I'd say any insulation has to be a good thing.

Phil

I thought the conversation might go this way!

It is not an ex Hire Boat, but a still sleek coastal cruiser.

I have started to strip down to see what was under the plastic and ply boarding and check that it was relatively dry, as it is.

I like the idea of a small potbelly stove as well, but it has a websco heater all ready built in, but if I saw one on fleabay I might just go for one anyway!

I saw that you can buy spray glue that would do the job, between that and aluminium style insulation, I think I am hooked!

Use a GOOD quality spray glue as the cheaper ones tend to become unstuck when the temp gets hot in summer evostick

was the best one i found and have you thought of using 25 mm ridged urethane foam IE King-span that works well can be cut with stanley knife and its easy to fit

Craig

I have a senior 31 and used airtec type insulation throughout yet leaving some of the original polystyrene where useable.

Not found it to be very effective, I think partly because there must be a sufficient gap (see tech spec) either side of the insulation for maximum effect.

For this reason I didnt glue but cut it to slide in loosely between the beams of the cabin roof etc so there is at least some airflow.