History Of Russell Newbery

Featured Posts

Absolutely there was an nb sold a couple of years ago by ABNB with a 1LW fitted. Like their single cylinder counterparts from other manufacturers they were often used as research/development engines and supplied to colleges with dynos' fitted. See below the 1LW (ex dyno) on the left and 1L2 on the right

I think Tim's comments may explain some of the confusion though.

They both look like 1L2s to me. The later versions were made as 'laboratory engines', used for testing fuels etc.

Just because a boat was advertised as having a 1LW doesn't prove that they existed ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

They both look like 1L2s to me. The later versions were made as 'laboratory engines', used for testing fuels etc.

Tim

Well based on your previous comments sounds like there was overlap. The two pictures were both taken and published on the Gardner 2011 engine rally report though.

Well based on your previous comments sounds like there was overlap. The two pictures were both taken and published on the Gardner 2011 engine rally report though.

The design was uprated for higher speeds using some LW components, but to the best of my knowledge they were always referred to as L2 engines.

Happy to be proved to be wrong, though. I can't see any fundamental difference between the two engines in your pics.

Tim

The design was uprated for higher speeds using some LW components, but to the best of my knowledge they were always referred to as L2 engines.

Happy to be proved to be wrong, though. I can't see any fundamental difference between the two engines in your pics.

Tim

Apologies Tim and others, having looked into this further it seems you are right. My comments were based on a range of references to the 1LW as well as a boat with such advertised for sale - just Google to see.

It seems now that its a popular mistake to refer to a 1L2 as a 1LW. In one case a picture of Tony Redshaw's 1L2 demo is captioned 1LW despite "L2" clearly displayed on the cylinder casting. Surprised the Gardner Engine Society allowed a similar mistake to be published though.

If for no other reason it seems that single cylinder LW heads were never made.

You just beat me to it, Mr. 'eck. I have checked a couple of books. Whittle in his A to Z of Vintage Engines says that LWs were built with 2 cylinders upwards. Edge, in his authoritative (and modestly titled) 'Gardner: Legendary Engineering Excellence' lists every type of Gardner engine made, and the LW list starts with a 2LW!

Though I didn't have time to go through the text of the chapter, I seem to remember that there was one size of LW of which only a prototype was built. It could have been a 6, 7 or 8 or I could have remembered wrongly.

In Gardner terms if it's single cylinder it's an L2. As previously mentioned the L2 design was modified during production to use more common parts with the LW but it's still an L2. Incidentally Kromhout did do a single cylinder version of the LW. I have a picture somewhere and will post if I can find it

You just beat me to it, Mr. 'eck. I have checked a couple of books. Whittle in his A to Z of Vintage Engines says that LWs were built with 2 cylinders upwards. Edge, in his authoritative (and modestly titled) 'Gardner: Legendary Engineering Excellence' lists every type of Gardner engine made, and the LW list starts with a 2LW!

Though I didn't have time to go through the text of the chapter, I seem to remember that there was one size of LW of which only a prototype was built. It could have been a 6, 7 or 8 or I could have remembered wrongly.

You may be thinking of the LK, which was only sold as a 4 cylinder but one or possibly two prototype 6LKs were built.

Tim

In Gardner terms if it's single cylinder it's an L2. As previously mentioned the L2 design was modified during production to use more common parts with the LW but it's still an L2. Incidentally Kromhout did do a single cylinder version of the LW. I have a picture somewhere and will post if I can find it

Not entirely true, I have an OVC which is a single cylinder petrol engine with compressor, they made semi-diesel singles and they made horizontal gas engines in earlier days, but that's nit-picking as it is true for 'modern' diesel engine production. I don't know whether they made single cylinder models of their 2-stroke full diesels, can anyone answer that?

Tim

Tim. I know that Gardner did do single semi's but as we were discussing the existence of 1LW's I was referring to LW/L2's not older

I did say that I was nitpicking wink.png

I'm still curious as to whether they made any single cylinder 2-stroke full diesels?

Actually there was a bit of overlap, the 2-strokes were still being made after the L2 was introduced.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Ours is 22E 1517 and am pretty sure it is circa 1991 - does that mean 122 engines built over 5 years? The original invoice is on the boat, but I'm sure it had a Southampton address on it.

Met Graham Pearson while cruising this summer, so guess I should have asked him!

1517 built 1991 for Stoke on Trent boatbuilders. One of the last of 169 engines built by vero engineering in Southampton.