Wanting to live afloat - Lots of questions ???

Lifes2Short

Featured Posts

I Intend to use boat on Avon for Stratford on Avon and Grand Union Canal

Be careful. You'll need a CRT license and an ANT license that way - the River Avon is a different navigation authority.

Richard

Read Narrow Minds by Marie Browne, her husband posts on here and they moor not too far from me.

The book is an accurate account of how they came to live on a boat with their children and will give you a great insight as to what you can expect (her 2nd book likewise)

Phil

Hey! Lifetoshort you seem to be getting the hang of it already, Kindle yeah, not too much room for bookcases on a boat.

Phil

Likey likey - what a dumbass why didnt i just get on iphone app,....... even further - rather than toilet paper I could use my arm ??? joking apart its the small things an ideas that count and need thought.

Banbury Canal Festival today - was hoping to get down to ask more questions to boaters but think my oldest has other ideas.

So off down Alvechurch Marina to check out Boats there, grab some ideas and prices.

May even look at booking short break on Narrow Boat to try before I buy maybe a wise step.

So next step would be a book app for Iphone then to save even more space on a kindle lol

If looking at prices then

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/

http://www.abnb.co.uk/

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/

There are others and the ones above are in no particular order.

Nothing beats actually seeing the boat though and when you decide on the one you want, have it surveyed.

I lived on board from when my youngest was 4 until he was 11.

We were on a permanent mooring, just went to school as normal. Except in floods when the journey included a canoe.

I wouldn't recommend living on a river that floods, it is hard work.

Safety? Kids who live in houses adjacent to roads are under far greater risk of injury and death. We found that all our children became adept at taking appropriate care and we never had a worry, despite living on a river that has a 15ft flood range.

I think Dean has covered the rest.

Widebeams are much easier with kids, due to floorspace. When they are little they want to do stuff that is easiest done on the floor. When they are bit older, they'll flop on the roof with their unsavoury mates.