Kennet and Avon actual depth at the moment?

sam_uk

Featured Posts

Hi considering taking a boat from London to Bristol. Draft 95cm, travelling Oct-Nov

I have done it with 75cm draft with no serious problems. Is 95cm realistic at the moment? Canal & River trust figure is 1m 10cm I believe, but realise reality may be different!

no problem at all with that draught, have just done it with a 1.0m draught widebeam. cheers, David

Is that 1m across the width, or just a small are in the centre at the stern?

I'm interested in case we ever get down that way again.

Tim

hi Tim, the flat bottom plate is 2m wide before the chines slope up, the skeg probably increases the draught by 3" - 4".

I would say there is as much usable water as there was in the LL between locks and much more than on the Lancaster. It has been a real pleasure these last 4 months.

David

You should get through ok, although much of it in the non- the river sections will be in the middle, without going aground. Mooring in places other than official visitor moorings could be a problem.

We draw about 85cm (I had to convert that from the imperial!!) and I have managed it several times without too much swearing!

hi Tim, the flat bottom plate is 2m wide before the chines slope up, the skeg probably increases the draught by 3" - 4".

I would say there is as much usable water as there was in the LL between locks and much more than on the Lancaster. It has been a real pleasure these last 4 months.

David

So, are you saying the draught is 1.0m plus 3 or 4", or minus 3 or 4 "?

Thanks

Tim

Environment Agency says 'The river level at Newbury is 0.96 metres.'

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=7122&RegionId=1&AreaId=25&CatchmentId=155

Do not know where it is measured ...probably at the side...so the middle should be deeper...been watching it for a while and it doesn't vary much between 0.96 & 0.94....

Edited by Gypsey_Kings

Last weekend nr Aldermaston the level on the river was down a foot - no idea why - the moorers at Woolhampton were stuck fast. Which probably suited them on reflection.

There were only 3 boats there when I passed last Friday - one of which looked abandoned. Which of the other 2 did you have in mind?