HELP PLEASE: BOAT STOLEN

Cragdale

Featured Posts

Nicky: are all possible routes being monitored, are all the lockies etc. in the area now fully aware?

My parents are going to Gayton now in case they're on their way back through there (I guess its possible they found out about Irthlingborough being closed???) EA enforcement officers along the Nene have all been notified by myself this morning, I know the lockeeper at Stanton (?) is on the look out, how do I contact other lock keepers? I thought locks were unmanned at this time of year? Gayton was certainly all boarded & padlocked up on Saturday

HI All

Has anyone checked the marina at Billing Aquadrome this is a huge marina and has visitors moorings. Although a lot of visitors just get lost among the other boats. Just a thought as I haven't seen Billing being mentioned.

Also has the backwater that goes between B & Q and the Carlsberg factory been looked at? You can get a fair distance up that little stretch.

There's a couple of low road bridges on that backwater to stop under for painting / hiding and the B&Q warehouse right next to it. Just trying to think like a thief.

Edited by Chris M

Right have just had a call from my dad, the bottom lock at Gayton is shut & has been since Monday so if they were at Earls Barton last night they are now stuck between Gayton & Irthlingborough :)

Have called the EA officer back about this and unfortunately the officer in charge of that stretch is on holiday this week & he is isn't sure if their boat is able to be used as it was being upgraded (something to do with the safety checks) but he'll have a look about today & let his collegue from further up the river know when he's back on duty tomorrow

HI All

Has anyone checked the marina at Billing Aquadrome this is a huge marina and has visitors moorings. Although a lot of visitors just get lost among the other boats. Just a thought as I haven't seen Billing being mentioned.

I left a poster with Ken on Saturday & my parents stopped off there this morning before going onto Gayton

Are you sure these people honestly think that Cragdale is their new boat which they have bought fair and square?

It could be that they have moorings on the Nene, and have slowly made their way there, with their "new" boat and have now put it onto their new moorings.. which is why it wouldn't be out and about on the main river.

Are there any permanent moorings on the Nene? I don't know but if there is it I think it definately would be worth checking this out, and I suppose this would be easier to do as they should have car access to the marina/moorings whatever.

Even if Cragdale isn't about, there maybe someone around which could pass on more info, which of course all helps.

Right have just had a call from my dad, the bottom lock at Gayton is shut & has been since Monday so if they were at Earls Barton last night they are now stuck between Gayton & Irthlingborough :)

Quite correct:

From Waerscape.com

6 Nov 2006 - 8 Dec 2006

Stoppage: Northampton Arm

Part of winter stoppage programme

New gates at Lock 11 + relining works and paddle repairs.

(Enquiries: 01908 302500)

My first post so be gentle with me.

Have been following this story for a week now and was convinced that Gragdale would be found within a couple of days. Feel so sorry for all concerned but also comforted that so many people are offering their help

In a previous post some one mentioned that the boat could be in Stoke by now and Canal Planner says 6 days for the trip. I am moving a boat tomorrow from Northwich down to Wheelock, If time is on my side I will stop of at Middlewich and ask around there and walk up the Wardle Branch to see if I can see anything.

I know a few of the live-aboards on that length as well so will make enquiries there.

The yard I work for logs all boat names and numbers when they fill up with diesal I was told this is a legal requirement but dont know for sure, but if it is then presumably Gragdale will need to be re-fuelled at sometime and that may be an area for investigation.

Best wises to all concerned and hope you get good news soon.

Hello Andy, welcome to the forums! :)

Yeah given the amount of time they've had they could be anywhere now... I've actually moved a boat from Tring to Sale on the Bridgewater canal and it only took 6 long days to do, but I don't think it's up this end of the country, with a bit of luck it sounds as though it's trapped between the two locks on the Nene as mentioned above.

my thoughts on this now are the stretch of the rive nene needs to be walked from wollaston to earls barton, im sure the other team diddnt do this, there is a path that runs along side the river all the way called nene walk.

id go back but have lost my bank card and have no cash, as i put my last 10quid in fuel this morning and i drive a rather large engined car lol..

i do think that the area needs to be covered fully. there traped if anything, but may not know it yet.

At the top of every Canal World forum page it says "A virtual waterways community" never was a truer word said! The way that the folks on this site have rallied round at a time of need is absolutely bloody marvelous, you lot are a great bunch.

I don't post on here very often but I do read posts several times daily and I get a warm feeling. :)

Just felt the need to drop in on this occasion and say well done.

Although I almost feel sorry for the villain who nicked Cragdale he dosn't have a chance, there must be more eyes looking out for this boat than ever before in the history of the canals. I just wish I could be part of the posse but I am at the wrong end of the country, DOH!

Although I almost feel sorry for the villain who nicked Cragdale he dosn't have a chance, there must be more eyes looking out for this boat than ever before in the history of the canals.

Who needs CCTV with you lot out there!!

Keep it up :)

i have looked on google earth but it gets blury right around that area, its possible to see the river but its hard to see just how big it is, as the maps posted up here yesterday makes it look quite big.

Ross

Have you tried http://local.live.com inner Northampton is very high detail but further out towards Earls Barton the detail is probably no better than Google Earth.

Hi folks quick post before I go back to work:

my thoughts on this now are the stretch of the rive nene needs to be walked from wollaston to earls barton, im sure the other team diddnt do this, there is a path that runs along side the river all the way called nene walk.

id go back but have lost my bank card and have no cash, as i put my last 10quid in fuel this morning and i drive a rather large engined car lol..

i do think that the area needs to be covered fully. there traped if anything, but may not know it yet.

Bramley, Nieldudman and I walked this section this morning before we met up with you, believe me we did look everywhere and if the Wollaston back water is here we checked it out, so don't panic it has been looked at, even to the point of going down mill lane at Earls Barton and checking there, with you, by the way if anyone is interested in a nice gold coloured rover/honda!! there is one here for sale.

It does seem a bit wild goose chase at the moment but hopefully a bit of luck and something will turn up. Fingers crossed.

P.S. nice to have met up with you guys today and it was a good mornings walk with Neil too. :) Hope you get back home safley.

Mark

Just a thought - I am thinking along the lines that the Nene sighting was ficticious, to throw everyone off the scent, so what other options are there?

Can diesel distrbutors be alerted so they in turn notify their canalside diesel retailers?

Oh I knew reading Enid Blyton wasn't a waste of time!

If it was nicked by a proper crook(s), it'll be a different colour, probably black as it will cover anything, have no distiguishing marks, they'll have renamed it with stickers, Darc Ale for instance, carry their own diesel, used a bent card and gone the opposite direction.

Probably

Still with this much interest theres plenty of hope I'd certainly be encouraged.

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, do keep your eyes peeled wherever you are as its always possible that last nights 'sighting' was just to put us off. Now its being mentioned on national radio & has been on local radio & in the local press its possible that someone involved in this (person on the boat or person that may have 'sold' the boat) knows we're onto them & is trying to mislead us. Think someone asked if the boat had a radio...it does so more than possible they've heard

Thanks Mark, you guys really are great helping out like that :)

Thanks Denis, all eyes greatly appreciated!

Boatchad you're so right, its fantastic the help we've had on here, my dad will be owing lots of virtual beers when Cragdale is found :)

Christine, that's a good point, anyone know how I find out all the diesel distributors?

Like you, Boatchad I am also following this with interest. Its very encouraging that the members of this website have responded so well.

Its much more interesting reading the posts than watching TV!!

On a more serious note, one suggestion, can anyone down there persuade a nice person owning a boat in say Billings marina, to get them to take it out and survey the nene from the water?

Never say never, Boatchad if this search doesnt find Cragdale you may yet get to get involved!

Like you, Boatchad I am also following this with interest. Its very encouraging that the members of this website have responded so well.

Its much more interesting reading the posts than watching TV!!

On a more serious note, one suggestion, can anyone down there persuade a nice person owning a boat in say Billings marina, to get them to take it out and survey the nene from the water?

Never say never, Boatchad if this search doesnt find Cragdale you may yet get to get involved!

I don't know anyone in that area but the EA maybe able to have a run out in their boat in a few days time IF it is ok to use as it has been having some upgrades done

I don't know anyone in that area but the EA maybe able to have a run out in their boat in a few days time IF it is ok to use as it has been having some upgrades done

It strikes me that the forum are being truly marvelous, pulling together and getting out there to search, but you're getting far to many ifs, buts and maybes from everywhere else.

What are the police doing? Does this sighting still appear genuine? Do Northants Police not have a helicopter?

If the boat really is trapped between Gayton and Irthlingborough, surely to goodness it shouldn't be that hard to find?

If it's not found in the next couple of days I will certainly try to get down there at the weekend (seems we could do with an organised search of that whole stretch). But with all the people out looking and the publicity you're now getting, I can't believe it won't be found soon.

It strikes me that the forum are being truly marvelous, pulling together and getting out there to search, but you're getting far to many ifs, buts and maybes from everywhere else.

What are the police doing? Does this sighting still appear genuine? Do Northants Police not have a helicopter?

If the boat really is trapped between Gayton and Irthlingborough, surely to goodness it shouldn't be that hard to find?

If it's not found in the next couple of days I will certainly try to get down there at the weekend (seems we could do with an organised search of that whole stretch). But with all the people out looking and the publicity you're now getting, I can't believe it won't be found soon.

Blimey....Just come in and things have been busy.... 'The Cragdale Incident' has made page 2 of The Times. The Fascists are apparently 'appealing for anyone spotting the blue boat to get in touch'. Sounds like they don't realise half of Canal World has been doing there job for them!!!...Well done everyone its at times like these that I feel that the world is not such a bad place (with reservations, obviously the theft of Cragdale is a very sh**ty act), although shes not been found yet it can only be a matter of time surely. Either the patsies that bought it will contact the authorities or the rotters that lifted it will have to abandon it WELL DONE EVERYONE :):)

My first post so be gentle with me.

Have been following this story for a week now and was convinced that Gragdale would be found within a couple of days. Feel so sorry for all concerned but also comforted that so many people are offering their help

In a previous post some one mentioned that the boat could be in Stoke by now and Canal Planner says 6 days for the trip. I am moving a boat tomorrow from Northwich down to Wheelock, If time is on my side I will stop of at Middlewich and ask around there and walk up the Wardle Branch to see if I can see anything.

I know a few of the live-aboards on that length as well so will make enquiries there.

The yard I work for logs all boat names and numbers when they fill up with diesal I was told this is a legal requirement but dont know for sure, but if it is then presumably Gragdale will need to be re-fuelled at sometime and that may be an area for investigation.

Best wises to all concerned and hope you get good news soon.

Not the Andy Bell of the Lee & Stort?? BW's own Patrol Officer? I wouldnt think so not being from Staffs.