How Green

davidk65

Featured Posts

clip

One last thing though - if anyone's still awake - living simply, just not needing much stuff, is a really nice way of living!

I agree! I love it, it changes ones attitude for the good. I appreciate a lot more.... but I lived pretty simply as a kid so it may have been drummed in - and my parents nor grandparents were hippies!!!!!

I agree! I love it, it changes ones attitude for the good. I appreciate a lot more.... but I lived pretty simply as a kid so it may have been drummed in - and my parents nor grandparents were hippies!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, conspicuous consumerism stinks.

Hi Carrie.

I do not doubt your sincerity for one second but I would ask that accept that I too hold genuine views and that they are not founded on carelessness of others or laziness. Quite honestly I cannot see how you or I by abstaining from buying Nike trainers is going to help anyone including that child in India. As for Albert Einstein not eating animals was he really saving the planet or perhaps he just liked animals, a position I would have a great deal of sympathy with. He had other plans for the planet.

My attitudes are not based on apathy either, if the general population of the world are ever going to attain a standard of life close to the present affluent ones it is not going to happen by observing some philosophy of nothingness. Unlike our furry friends humans need heat, power and abundant food sources, that means organised industry.

The populations of China and India are belatedly beginning to enjoy a life-style removed from their former poverty and drudgery, they have done that by organising themselves and joining the world economy, that is not a dirty word, it means making things and attaining a surplus with which they can pay for decent life.

When I was at school in the aftermath of WW2 it was accepted that it was impossible for the UK to grow enough food to be self sufficient, in fact during the war hundreds of ships were bringing food supplies from across the Atlantic every week, now we are a net exporter and with double the population we had then. Of course that brings problems of it's own but nothing which cannot be solved.

There is no energy shortage in the world, we orbit a star that radiates down to us a thousand times more energy than we can ever use. It is up to us to translate that into all the resources that we need whether it be wind, tide, or any one of a dozen other methods we have no reason to burn anything. Agonising over where to buy your trainers isn't going to do it, we can do better than that.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi Carrie.

Quite honestly I cannot see how you or I by abstaining from buying Nike trainers is going to help anyone including that child in India.

I think it can, and even if it can't I don't particularly want to wear them. There is lots I don't know, but there is no harm in having a conscience about how I spend money. I don't expect others to, but I enjoy the bit I do. I also like to think that if I was in trouble, or in an injust system that someone somewhere might care enough to try and do something about it - however small their efforts.

There is no energy shortage in the world, we orbit a star that radiates down to us a thousand times more energy than we can ever use. It is up to us to translate that into all the resources that we need whether it be wind, tide, or any one of a dozen other methods we have no reason to burn anything. Agonising over where to buy your trainers isn't going to do it, we can do better than that.

My partner tells me that there is about to be a quantum leap in harnessing the energy of light, boffins are working on solar panels that will extract power using even the tiniest amounts of daylight and even darkness using infra red technology or some such cleverness, I wish I'd taken more notice then I could have told you more :angry:

My partner tells me that there is about to be a quantum leap in harnessing the energy of light, boffins are working on solar panels that will extract power using even the tiniest amounts of daylight and even darkness using infra red technology or some such cleverness, I wish I'd taken more notice then I could have told you more :angry:

A quantum is the smallist amount of energy that will change the state of a electron.

Oh Wise one...Please regale us with tales of Quark, Strangeness and Charm whilst your about it. :angry:

Surely everybody knows that a Quark is the sound made by a quantum duck

Strangeness and charm are just qualities posessed in varying degrees by everyone on this forum

I do not doubt your sincerity for one second but I would ask that accept that I too hold genuine views and that they are not founded on carelessness of others or laziness. Quite honestly I cannot see how you or I by abstaining from buying Nike trainers is going to help anyone including that child in India.

At the risk of being accused of preaching or spreading mung-bean links around the forum... :angry:

If you're interested in how/why you purchasing or boycotting Nike, or other trainers, has an impact have a read through the following:

Boycott Nike web site (one of many)

Ethical Consumer/Ethiscore report on trainers

The more products you buy that are produced in sweatshops the more people in them are required to work. There are ethically produced alternatives (vegetarian shoes, no sweat trainers). The idea of the boycotts being that if the company loses enough financially (as shaming them doesn't seem to make the slightest difference) then they'll be forced to improve pay/conditions of their workers. There is of course the argument that if you didn't/don't buy these trainers/clothes/etc. then the people employed in the sweat shops would have no work at all.

It seems that ignorance is indeed bliss. The more you know the more dilemas there are...

At the risk of being accused of preaching or spreading mung-bean links around the forum... :angry:

If you're interested in how/why you purchasing or boycotting Nike, or other trainers, has an impact have a read through the following:

Boycott Nike web site (one of many)

Ethical Consumer/Ethiscore report on trainers

The more products you buy that are produced in sweatshops the more people in them are required to work. There are ethically produced alternatives (vegetarian shoes, no sweat trainers). The idea of the boycotts being that if the company loses enough financially (as shaming them doesn't seem to make the slightest difference) then they'll be forced to improve pay/conditions of their workers. There is of course the argument that if you didn't/don't buy these trainers/clothes/etc. then the people employed in the sweat shops would have no work at all.

It seems that ignorance is indeed bliss. The more you know the more dilemas there are...

Thanks for your valued input, really very interesting indeed. Incidentally, have you any info. on carbon neutral/sustainable socks? Yoda keeps implying I need to change mine :angry:

What could be more fun on cold autumn night than learning How to Darn a Sock.

Once again, many thanks. I note with some concern that the yarns advertised on the site contain an large (up to 78%) acrylic component and/or have deprived some poor blamless Alpaca of its winter coat, my concience precludes its use

As a point of interest would Flax or Hemp fibers be an acceptable natural replacement darning material?

Furthermore, would employing the skin of, lets say a irritating/destructive pest such as a mole to fashion a natty pair of trousers be acceptable to the Sustainability/Ethics Committee? :angry:

Once again, many thanks. I note with some concern that the yarns advertised on the site contain an large (up to 78%) acrylic component and/or have deprived some poor blamless Alpaca of its winter coat, my concience precludes its use

As a point of interest would Flax or Hemp fibers be an acceptable natural replacement darning material?

Furthermore, would employing the skin of, lets say a irritating/destructive pest such as a mole to fashion a natty pair of trousers be acceptable to the Sustainability/Ethics Committee? :angry:

Rather than kill the mole perhaps you could catch him in a humane trap and keep him alive to harvest his hair to make your own yarn/wool? Would solve both your problems at once.

To quote the last link: "Clothes that are made with dog or cat hair are very comfortable, very warm and exceptional without saying unique.". I'm sure the same applies for Mole-hair trousers. :angry:

Edited by Matt and Miriam

Rather than kill the mole perhaps you could catch him in a humane trap and keep him alive to harvest his hair to make your own yarn/wool?

I thank you for offering a less terminal solution to Tomsk's question, but I would point out that there's very little hair left to harvest on this particular mole, so maybe he should go persecute some more hirsute creature (hamster perhaps?)

Rather than kill the mole perhaps you could catch him in a humane trap and keep him alive to harvest his hair to make your own yarn/wool? Would solve both your problems at once.

Bleeding 'ell, you've got it bad... Unfortunately, it is imperitive for the good of lawns everywhere that The Mole is deaded, additionally you will note that historically the reference has always been 'moleskin' not 'molehair'. I suppose you could tape up the tedious little pest to contain his entrails but that is verging on Pet Shop Boys territory and as such not my area of expertise.

The wearing of hair shirts does not seem a good idea from a comfort perspective but would seem appropriate attire for the celibacy/self-flagellation crew and those into 'The Mortification of the Flesh' also those riddled with a particualy Catholic guilt... see below;

During the early ages of Christianity the use of hair-cloth, as a means of bodily mortification and as an aid to the wearer in resisting temptations of the flesh, became very common, not only amongst the ascetics and those who aspired to the life of perfection, but even amongst ordinary lay people in the world, who made it serve as an unostentatious antidote for the outward luxury and comfort of their lives. St. Jerome, for instance, mentions the hairshirt as being frequently worn under the rich and splendid robes of men in high worldly positions. St. Athanasius, St. John Damascene, Theodoret, and many others also bear testimony to its use in their times. Cassian, however, disapproved of it being used by monks, as if worn outside it was too conspicuous and savoured of vanity and if underneath it hindered the freedom of the body in performing manual labour. St. Benedict does not mention it specifically in his rule, but van Haeften maintains that it was worn by many of the early Benedictines, though not prescribed universally throughout the order.

And also;

Such garments or adornments have been worn at various times in the history of the Christian faith, for the purposes of the mortification of the flesh. Apart from the itchiness of the shirt's coarse texture, when worn continuously it formed a breeding-ground for lice

I'm afraid I seek no such perfection and am just a simple Womble (fortunately lice free and planning to stay that way), nor am I seeking 'unostentatious antidote for the outward luxury and comfort of my life'

In conclusion, I will have to politely decline your kind and valued advice, many thanks :angry:

Edited by tomsk

o quote the last link: "Clothes that are made with dog or cat hair are very comfortable, very warm and exceptional without saying unique.". I'm sure the same applies for Mole-hair trousers. smile.gif

But just what would they smell like?

I thank you for offering a less terminal solution to Tomsk's question, but I would point out that there's very little hair left to harvest on this particular mole, so maybe he should go persecute some more hirsute creature (hamster perhaps?)

Hamsters are perfect household pets imbued with cuteness and a humourous, witty disposition. Moles however are vicious, destructive, exclusively carnivorous and bad tempered creatures. Their eradication is of paramount importance to the continuance of life, lawns and, by extention, croquet. I rest my case M'lud :angry:

Edited by tomsk

What's any of this got to do with Green Boating Issues?

Precisely....... You have been finding it all most amusing and have encouraged the continuance of this string until a few moments ago (see below), what has changed?

:angry::angry::angry: Got him!

Excellent response :wub:

Maybe your Bi-polar pendulum has swung again? :D