Shackerstone Family Festival Pictures (Not really "boaty" though!)

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

For those who don't do Facebook under any circumstances, here in our blog is a random selection of photos from last weekend.

Cars, lorries, steam (traction engines, trains & even boats), planes (Red Arrows plus Spitfire), birds of prey, plus inevitable Morris men......

There was much, much. more, that didn't get the camera pointed at it, like knights in armour and lawn mower racing........

Clicking on any photo in Blogger should enlarge it, (very necessary with Red Arrows and Spitfire, as I don't currently have a telephoto lens!....)

Saturday

and

Sunday

For those who don't do Facebook under any circumstances, here in our blog is a random selection of photos from last weekend.

Cars, lorries, steam (traction engines, trains & even boats), planes (Red Arrows plus Spitfire), birds of prey, plus inevitable Morris men......

There was much, much. more, that didn't get the camera pointed at it, like knights in armour and lawn mower racing........

Clicking on any photo in Blogger should enlarge it, (very necessary with Red Arrows and Spitfire, as I don't currently have a telephoto lens!....)

Saturday

and

Sunday

Well there was very much more in the way of boats than Alan may have you believe. Over a mile of moored boats, many breasted up. This included 34 historic boats, all but 5 of them moored together (the exceptions included Sickle, sat by itself among the visiting cabin boats). This probably represents a larger number than most other classes of entry. Here's the full list:

Adamant
Aquila
Auriga
Australia
Badger
Callisto
Cassiopeia
Corona
Darley
Electra
Empress
Ibex
Lamprey
Lynx (GU)
Lynx (FMC)
Marquis
Panther
Perch
Princess Anne
Rill
Seal
Sextans
Sharpness
Sickle
Stafford
St Tudno
Swallow
Swift
Tench
Thea
The North
Themis
Warbler
Whitby
A great weekend once more and again many thanks to the organisers and the large team of volunteers; and of course Simon and staff at the Rising Sun!
James

"The page you are looking for could not be found", it sez 'ere.

Thanks, Alan, for posting those photos which evoke the atmosphere and attractions of the event very well - especially as you feature some things, such as the morris dancers, which I did not see. It seems a long time ago now, especially as we got back home yesterday and are adjusting to life in a widebeam house. Good to meet you both, albeit briefly, too.

Well there was very much more in the way of boats than Alan may have you believe. Over a mile of moored boats, many breasted up. This included 34 historic boats, all but 5 of them moored together (the exceptions included Sickle, sat by itself among the visiting cabin boats). This probably represents a larger number than most other classes of entry. Here's the full list:

I will just point out we were not trying to be "snobby" or otherwise ignore the other "historics". cool.png

Making a fairly late booking, I was advised that the area for historic boats was already fully allocated, but when we turned up there a week before the event, it was certainly not yet anything like fully occupied! However I couldn't find anyone to ask if we could be in there, so we left "Sickle" in a gap she could just squeeze into. When we came to the actual event I still was uncertain if we would be pinching anybody else's allocated spot if we moved up, so we decided to stay put.

That said we were right by a main entrance to the event, and particularly well placed for a clear view of the air displays from our tug deck. The downside, of course, was a longer walk to the excellent pub!.

Well Alan, if you'd ever got around to responding to my 'Hello' or what ever my several greetings to you were, you could have asked and it would have been sorted. I was the on-site Harbour Master for the Historics, and when I wasn't about, everyone else knew to ask Sue Cawson, with whom I was next to on THEA. There was a sign on our boats pointing to a plan on the side of ADAMANT (we were all three breasted together) that said:

"--xxx-- = Space available. Do choose your own mooring but please try and breast similar length boats together where possible
Any problems then call me on (phone number), find me on site or knock me up on MARQUIS".
Oh well. But you would have been made very welcome.

James

Edited by JamesWoolcock

Well Alan, if you'd ever got around to responding to my 'Hello' or what ever my several greetings to you were, you could have asked and it would have been sorted.

Oh dear - this is a perennial problem I'm afraid!

I'm reasonably "hard of hearing", and unfortunately people often seem to think I'm being rude or aloof, when the reality is that I have just not been aware I was being addressed!

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression!

When I booked in, (via Cyril Blackford, as the web-site showed), he indicated that the "historic" space was already allocated, and did not indicate there was any separate harbourmaster allocated to it. I did speak to several other "historic" owners about possibly moving up, and whilst they said it would probably be OK, none mentioned you or Sue in any connection with mooring allocations.

It was suggested I maybe put it on the bend, but shortly after that Stafford took the place that was suggested to me.

No harm done, and at least I know how it works if there is a next time!

We were moored next to St. Tudno at Shackers and I had a long conversation about the boat with the very gregarious owners (Kevin and Helen?) It's named after the patron saint of Llandudno and is a former Bantock butty. It now has a steel top with very smart portholes, and a Lister JP2 which is apparently a rare prototype model. The interior fit-out is in progress. Kevin said that he thought St. Tudno was originally built in the 1860s, which would make her one of the oldest boats on BW.

They were unfortunate to suffer gearbox faulure just after starting back along the Ashby and had to be towed to Sutton Cheney, resulting in a long queue of very slow-moving boats. Luckily one of the other historic boat owners (the chap on the Threefellows boat I think) succeeded in repairing the gearbox, so I hope they got back to their mooring without further problems.

Edited by Athy

• 2 weeks later...

We were moored next to St. Tudno at Shackers and I had a long conversation about the boat with the very gregarious owners (Kevin and Helen?) It's named after the patron saint of Llandudno and is a former Bantock butty. It now has a steel top with very smart portholes, and a Lister JP2 which is apparently a rare prototype model. The interior fit-out is in progress. Kevin said that he thought St. Tudno was originally built in the 1860s, which would make her one of the oldest boats on BW.

They were unfortunate to suffer gearbox faulure just after starting back along the Ashby and had to be towed to Sutton Cheney, resulting in a long queue of very slow-moving boats. Luckily one of the other historic boat owners (the chap on the Threefellows boat I think) succeeded in repairing the gearbox, so I hope they got back to their mooring without further problems.

A very nice boat indeed and the JP2 is a very early model that im sure I will regret selling and buying a Bolinder one day. If was Threefellows that would be Paul Barber who did the steelwork on St Tudno and Ling