Broken stud on log burner door

Featured Posts

While re roping the glass on my log burner in preparation for the winter the stud securing one of the flanges that secure the glass snapped off. I am hoping it can be drilled out, but has this happened to anyone else? I supose a stud could be welded on but it would be a bit clumsy.

for info the stove is an Evergreen Larch.

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Stove screws of all sorts failing is so common as to barely merit comment I'm afraid. Drill and re-tap is the best solution. Use copper grease on the new fastener so it will come undone next time.

I don't know your stove, but is it actually a stud screwed into the stove? Some, particularly Heron stoves, have resistance brazed studs and these could be re-brazed but most people drill for a stud or nut and bolt. You can tell if you have a brazed stud by the coppery colour under where the resistance brazed stud was.

N

As an engineer I've done many of these. You need a stud extractor set. Drill a hole in the stud and it should come out easily but if not use some heat provided it's not brazed in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pc-Screw-Stud-Bolt-Extractor-Remover-Extractern-Drill-Bit-Tool-Set-Size-3-19mm-/300638379482?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item45ff719dda

Edited by bigste

Stove screws of all sorts failing is so common as to barely merit comment I'm afraid. Drill and re-tap is the best solution. Use copper grease on the new fastener so it will come undone next time.

I don't know your stove, but is it actually a stud screwed into the stove? Some, particularly Heron stoves, have resistance brazed studs and these could be re-brazed but most people drill for a stud or nut and bolt. You can tell if you have a brazed stud by the coppery colour under where the resistance brazed stud was.

N

Yes drill straight through on our heron stove and used nut and bolt. Copper grease woks well for next removal.

Same problem here. I need to remove the door in order to drill it so how are the hinge bolts removed?

I think mine has pins in the hinges that just knock out upwards. Would have to double check though, it's ages since I took them off.

I did one today,I'd had to cut through the bolt and the threaded portion was still in situ. I put a centre pop in it with an automatic punch and the drilled it out using a tapping drill size for the thread. Then Boris cleared out the remains of the thread and its now ready for re assembly. This was the oven top for the Epping.

This relies on an accurate centre pop to work