Glasgow for Commonwealth Games

Memphis Al

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are thinking of hiring a narrowboat from Falkirk and going to Glasgow to moor up for 2-3 days to go to the Commonwealth Games next year. Is this a crazy idea or do you think it's do-able? For example, how long does it take to get from Falkirk to Glasgow (we are capable boaters) and are there nice/ safe and plentiful places to moor?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

We are thinking of hiring a narrowboat from Falkirk and going to Glasgow to moor up for 2-3 days to go to the Commonwealth Games next year. Is this a crazy idea or do you think it's do-able? For example, how long does it take to get from Falkirk to Glasgow (we are capable boaters) and are there nice/ safe and plentiful places to moor?

Thanks in advance!

Is there actually availability of boat hire. I was looking for a hotel for during the commonwealth games period and it all seems to be booked up, which is not surprising I guess.

There seems to be. What we found with the olympics was that the hotels didn't release availability until a bit nearer the start so that they could gauge what ridiculous prices to charge! We ended up renting a house which we may do in Glasgow, but thought this might be a nicer way to do it.

There seems to be. What we found with the olympics was that the hotels didn't release availability until a bit nearer the start so that they could gauge what ridiculous prices to charge! We ended up renting a house which we may do in Glasgow, but thought this might be a nicer way to do it.

Thanks for that, perhaps that is it. I will maybe dig a bit more, I was only wanting 3 nights to go watch the rugby with is over 2 days at Ibrox.

You can moor at Speirs Wharf on the Glasgow branch of the Forth and Clyde canal. I would say 2 days cruising From falkirk to Glasgow but you are dependant on Scottish Canals working locks for you. There is a boating event being planned for the Commonwealth games with the boats leaving the canal system at Bowling, turning left and going up the Clyde. There is a weir in Glasgow which is only open for a short time at very high tides and it is hoped that the flotilla will be able to go over the weir and further up the Clyde.

haggis

Sorry if this is a bit late - haven't logged in for a while. I agree that Falkirk to Glasgow can be done in two days, even counting your start day as one. Aim for Auchenstarry Marina on day one. There's a decent pub/restaurant there. Then on day two head for the basin at BW HQ, just short of Port Dundas, not far from the centre of Glasgow. There you can overnight behind a tall fence with a locked gate! Be sure to take the left turn towards Glasgow before Maryhill (I've forgotten the name of the junction). Maryhill was described to me as 'Indian country'!

well everyone in Glasgow wears a tracksuit ! ( with a string vest )

You don't need a map, you can determine how close you are getting to Glasgow by the concentration of Buckfast bottles floating in the canal! But actually, its quite a nice trip and the approach into Glasgow is unscary.

Extreme self abusers.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Others have explained the route from Falkirk to Spiers Wharf.

Your other option is to head in the other direction, up the Falkirk Wheel onto the Union canal, then 4 hours cruising gets you to Linlithgow, with good moorings, great pubs & direct trains into Glasgow (30 minutes to Queen St, last return train normally 2330, but will almost certainly be later during CG).

Depending on what sports you're looking at, heading on toward Ratho or Edinburgh might actually get you closer to the venue you're going to:-)