when is a 65 barrus shire not a 65 barrus shire?

peterboat

Featured Posts

Would that still count two years on?

I'm sorry but if i I'm buying something I check before handing any money over that something as basic as the engine is as advertised!

I'm not sure if it's applicable in this case, but the Sale of Goods Act states:

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

According to the Act, it is the seller's responsibility to ensure that what is being sold is as described and conforms to contract, not the buyer's.

Edited by blackrose

Just for info, we have the same Shire 65Hp engine and our boat has a 20x14 prop, she handles well when on the Thames and revs freely.

So 19 x 14 on the OP's wider boat is probably about right then (assuming the same reduction ratio on your geaboxes). Although I don't really understand why anyone would have fitted a prop for a 65 if that wasn't the engine in the boat? Perhaps they genuinely thought it was a 65?

Just for info, we have the same Shire 65Hp engine and our boat has a 20x14 prop, she handles well when on the Thames and revs freely.

Your engine is a real Shire 65 and your prop has an even (slightly) bigger diam than the OP's that can't get his revs over 2000n, and as he wrote about the parts he ordered from Barrus for his supposedly 65 Hp that didn't fit because it's not a 65 Hp.

But now with the info Northernboater wrote a few posts above, it will be easy for the OP to findout what his engine really is.

Peter.

Over-propping to a degree perhaps, but when over-propping is seriously restricting engine revs and overloading the engine then it's not good at all. If Peter is only getting 2000rpm from a 3000rpm (max) engine, then I don't think he's in any danger of getting the 'right' blade. Remember that a 1" reduction in prop pitch will only equate to about 150 - 200rpm increase in engine revs, while a 1" reduction in diameter produces <100rpm. So there's a limit to what can be done. Peter could probably take 2 inches off the pitch and half an inch off the diameter of his prop and that should result in an extra 350 - 400 engine rpm.

Crowthers told me not to reduce the diameter of my prop because it's a big boat and the diameter is where the stopping power comes from, but Norris in Isleworth were concerned that the tip of the blades might be coming too close to the uxter plate causing some cavitation, so we decided to take half an inch off the diameter and an inch and a half off the pitch. I probably could have taken another half inch off the pitch but Norris said you shouldn't make the prop too flat otherwise you lose bite and increase prop slip in the water.

My engine runs much better since I had the prop re-pitched. From a maximum of 1,950rpm before the repitch I now get 2,200rpm, so although it only provided 250 extra rpm I can feel there's a bit more power and the engine sounds happier. Put it this way, had the prop not been repitched, then I'm not sure I'd have made it up the Kennet when it was still in spate that time I met you earlier this year.

Yes I agree with you I did not enyoy the trip up the trent against a head wind which delayed the tide by 1 hour! 250 rpm would put me further into the engines powerband, I think than whilst I cruise well real power is missing

Peter

Did you not check your engine identification plate on top of the engine before you bought it? it should have a Barrus brass plate on. stating the model "Shire" then something like 06 50 1 453 which is year(06) Horse Power(50) Issue No(1) Engine Serial Number(453) It's the easiest way to tell what engine you have. Where did the 65hp come from the plate or seller???

Hmmm thats the problem the plate was missing so I did not even know it was supposed to be there!

Peter

I'm not sure if it's applicable in this case, but the Sale of Goods Act states:

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

According to the Act, it is the seller's responsibility to ensure that what is being sold is as described and conforms to contract, not the buyer's.

Thats what trading standards told me I am going to contact the seller when back from my 2 week trip and the return back down the trent on tuesday I hope their is no dramas

Peter

So 19 x 14 on the OP's wider boat is probably about right then (assuming the same reduction ratio on your geaboxes). Although I don't really understand why anyone would have fitted a prop for a 65 if that wasn't the engine in the boat? Perhaps they genuinely thought it was a 65?

When I get back from this trip I hope that the original sales invoice will be waiting for me then I will have all the answers I need to move forward

Peter