Do Anglers hate Boaters?

Hayabusabart

Featured Posts

Ohhhh Bug*er - is there a time limit on responding to threads? icecream.gif

I think the resurrect-er is a new member, could be just surfing through and came across one he/she had some input on Phil

Welcome to the forum Enterprisefredbiggrin.png

No there's no time limit on threads, that would be just silly. My point was that the poster was just reiterating what many had already said (IIRC)

Oh and welcome aboard also.

Phil

You may not be the only one, but with such ingrained attitudes people generally end up seeing what they've already predisposed themselves to see.

I've never really had a problem with anglers. I've had a few glaring looks but I've also had a few nods and smiles.

Met some very friendly ones this week, mind you they were just out to enjoy the waterways and fishing, not win competition. Maybe if I was racing I wouldn't be so keen to slow down for them.

No there's no time limit on threads, that would be just silly. My point was that the poster was just reiterating what many had already said (IIRC)

Oh and welcome aboard also.

Phil

Sorry Phil, that was my poor attempt at humour.

Didn't think you noticed it was a new member and was trying to lighten the tone somewhat is all. You are someone who normally makes us newbi's feel very welcomed with a kind word.

Didn't think you noticed it was a new member and was trying to lighten the tone somewhat is all. You are someone who normally makes us newbi's feel very welcomed with a kind word.

Hi BB no need for the soz, sorry if I came across as er um a bit cross reckon my bed beckons.

Phil

How's the boating life Bettie?

Are you enjoying it?

Have you been on a journey yet on the boat?

Edited by leeco

How's the boating life Bettie?

Are you enjoying it?

Have you been on a journey yet on the boat?

If all goes well, we should be permanently living onboard by next Monday - still trying to get the house stuff finished off :( Have slept on her 2 nights and Loved it, but no journeys as of yet

I've never had a problem with a grumpy angler. I sometimes feel inclined to get a bit grumpy with an angler when he's parked himself right beside a lock, although I never have done. Surely there's enough towpath/riverbank out there that leaving these short stretches clear for boaters should be a complete non-issue?

The official line from the CRT - I've just checked - is that "Fishing is not allowed... within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach", which I take to mean "within 25 metres of where the bollards start, plus the whole of the area with bollards". But I encounter anglers breaking this rule all the time. Maybe a bit of signage is called for? I'm sure most anglers would happily set up elsewhere if they knew they were in the way and not supposed to be there, but I wouldn't want to get into an argument by spouting the rule book at people.

Edited by magictime

I've never had a problem with a grumpy angler. I sometimes feel inclined to get a bit grumpy with an angler when he's parked himself right beside a lock or a swing bridge, although I never have done. Surely there's enough towpath/riverbank out there that they could leave these short stretches clear for boaters? You'd think the bollards would be a clue that we actually need to be able to get in and out at these points.

I'm never sure if anglers are officially supposed to leave these moorings clear. Does anyone know?

From C&RT angling guidelines:-

"Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines."

So the quick answer is "no".

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/guidelines-for-fishing-along-canals-and-rivers

From C&RT angling guidelines:-

"Fishing is not allowed in lock chambers, within 25 metres (one boat length) of a lock approach, within 25 metres of a water point or in the vicinity of overhead powerlines."

So the quick answer is "no".

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/guidelines-for-fishing-along-canals-and-rivers

Thanks. I actually checked and then edited my original post, but alas, not in time to save you the trouble!

Thanks. I actually checked and then edited my original post, but alas, not in time to save you the trouble!

No worries.

I usually approach the lock landing very slowly and say something like "Sorry mate, I've got to come in here".

It gives them the oportunity to get their gear out of their way....

The only anglers I have found to be grumpy are the human ones - most kingfishers and herons are quite amiable, if a little shy. For that matter it seems to be only the human boaters that can be grumpy - boat dogs and cats and birds are usually fine. Hmm, perhaps it's just something about some humans, whatever activity they engage in?

There seem to be plenty of boaters who seek out a solitary lifestyle because they struggle to get on with other people. Maybe some anglers like to sit for hours on the bank for the same reason.

I remember on my first cruise on our shared boat going up the Meaford locks on the T & M some years ago seeing anglers in the short pound sitting on the end mooring bollard right under the power lines. Sadly, there wasn't any "fizzarcwelding"!

I was told to "f**k orf out of it" when I tried to tie up on the bollard two up from the gnomes to go through the upper lock, so I did; full throttle when I pushed off the bank! clapping.gif

I remember on my first cruise on our shared boat going up the Meaford locks on the T & M some years ago seeing anglers in the short pound sitting on the end mooring bollard right under the power lines. Sadly, there wasn't any "fizzarcwelding"!

I was told to "f**k orf out of it" when I tried to tie up on the bollard two up from the gnomes to go through the upper lock, so I did; full throttle when I pushed off the bank! clapping.gif

Have you ever noticed how long it can take to get the lines undone at these times, even using my special quick release knot? <Whistles innocently>

Many moons ago, there was one fishing gnome actually sitting on the bollard I needed to use to tie up for Denham deep lock. It was amazing how fast he moved when he saw a boat heading rapidly in his direction. Then there was the one who decided my boat roof would be a good place to fish from. I think he needed fresh underwear when he heard the engine start up. biggrin.png

fishing is basicallly dogging without the sex,....... hours out in the open , your bound to catch something, then theres the old dilemma kill em or let them go........:-)

noticed a guy fishing on the cut the other day , caught anything I said , he said I've caught loads. I said using maggots , he says no licorice, what have you caught with that ........ALLSORTS....