New Windows Fitting.

Featured Posts

Hi All.

Tips needed for fitting my window frames to new narrowboat.

Gloss all now done but what do i use to seal the ally window frames to the steel.

Do i use tape, which i have tried before or is there something better.

Thanks all.

Edited by nickfryer

If the sides are quite chunky and dead flat you might just get away with adhesive or butyl glazing tape alone.

Failing that maybe use some foam neoprene strip on the inner edge and sealant on the outer. Tighten screws a little, then seal, smooth off and let set. Then tighten the fixing screws harder but rebed in sealant before doing so.

Not the quickest way though!

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Butyl sealant. You could also use a butyl/rubber type sealant for roof and gutters. These products will remain non-setting. The setting types of sealant, including silicone will make it a devil to remove the windows at a later date.

The first time we used a rubber setting substance at the boatyard was the time we unfortunately had to remove 5 of the windows when the anodising went funny and wished we hadn't used something quite so setting. Never did again.

Edited by Higgs

Butyl sealant. You could also use a butyl/rubber type sealant for roof and gutters. These products will remain non-setting. The setting types of sealant, including silicone will make it a devil to remove the windows at a later date.

The first time we used a rubber setting substance at the boatyard was the time we unfortunately had to remove 5 of the windows when the anodising went funny and wished we hadn't used something quite so setting. Never did again.

Should be OK by using sealant on say the outer 6 to 9mm, and making it at least say 3mm thick, that way it's easier to cut through with a knife if the window needs to come out.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~