Barnby Dun , winding advice please

sooty

Featured Posts

Hi, does anyone know if a 57 foot narrow boat can be winded (turned round !) at BARNBY DUN on the River Don navigation .

I want to drop down from the end of the Stainforth & Keadby navigation for the night and then turn round.

No winding hole is shown in the area but the navigation may well be wide enough.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

I am pretty sure that the waterway is wide enough to wind a 57 ft boat at Barnby Dun. However, if it proves to be slightly too narrow, you only have to reverse a couple of hundred yards and the waterway widens a fair bit so that even a 70 ft boat would have no difficulty turning..

See the Google Aerial View.

We last winded (wound???) our 60ft there at the visitor moorings tying off the stern and letting the prevailing wind turn the boat.

Plus rather than reverse there is also the opportunity to carry on past the high pipe bridge beyond which the navigation widens considerably. It's about 10-15 minutes further on.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi, does anyone know if a 57 foot narrow boat can be winded (turned round !) at BARNBY DUN on the River Don navigation .

I want to drop down from the end of the Stainforth & Keadby navigation for the night and then turn round.

No winding hole is shown in the area but the navigation may well be wide enough.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

I wouldnt bother winding it. Just do a U turn, a whole lot quicker.

Tim

A big thankyou for your replies ... onwards to Barnby Dun ...... The Chinese better still be open !!

If you mean the takeaway next to the spar yes it is still there, and very good it is too.

• 2 years later...

Memories! I used to go through Barnby Dun to and from Hatfield Pit when I worked there. Never thought I would go there on my own boat though.

Just to repeat the above, canal there is widddddddddddddde and even more widerer just along at the junction with the New Junction.

I still reckon Barnby Dun ought to be the title of a Dickens novel. And as for the Hollywood adaptation..........Starring Kirk Sandall in Charles Dickens classic story Barnby Dun, featuring Bessie Carr..... and so on.

OK nurse, I'll take my morning medication.