corrosion no shore power just solar and inverter

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi all just a thought I have solar panels plus 3000 watt inverter I have a galvonic isolator in the circuit, and when had the boat out of water recently their was no corrosion. But Paul who owns the dry dock said he had seen instances where boats with large inverers were corroding what do the collective you think about this issue

Peter

Hi all just a thought I have solar panels plus 3000 watt inverter I have a galvonic isolator in the circuit, and when had the boat out of water recently their was no corrosion. But Paul who owns the dry dock said he had seen instances where boats with large inverers were corroding what do the collective you think about this issue

Peter

I am puzzled as to why a correctly wired inverter would cause hull corrosion, but perhaps others know different. My 3Kw PSW is earthed to the hull, neutral earth linked, and the battery neutrals are earth bonded close to the 240V earth bond. The guy who blacks it claims that the hull is "doing very well" compared to some boats he gets in; even newer ones. He claims those who use shore power without galv. isolator/transformer are often showing pitting, and even an odd one with these devices fitted. My anodes were changed at 5 years, though I was likely being over cautious and could have squeezed 6 maybe 7 years. I have no shore supply.

Edited by Guest

I am puzzled as to why a correctly wired inverter would cause hull corrosion, but perhaps others know different. My 3Kw PSW is earthed to the hull, neutral earth linked, and the battery neutrals are earth bonded close to the 240V earth bond. The guy who blacks it claims that the hull is "doing very well" compared to some boats he gets in; even newer ones. He claims those who use shore power without galv. isolator/transformer are often showing pitting, and even an odd one with these devices fitted. My anodes were changed at 5 years, though I was likely being over cautious and could have squeezed 6 maybe 7 years. I have no shore supply.

I take it you dont dangle a live electrode in the water to catch fish thenicecream.gif

Yes my thoughts as well my anodes are 5 years old and in July when I blacked her they were still good. So that was why I was so surprised for Paul at Goole to say what he did.

Peter

I take it you dont dangle a live electrode in the water to catch fish thenicecream.gif

That would be a shocking thing to do.

Yes my thoughts as well my anodes are 5 years old and in July when I blacked her they were still good. So that was why I was so surprised for Paul at Goole to say what he did.

Peter

I suspect Ditchcrawler is spot on, and the inverters he has seen are combi units which may well get connected to shore power.