Leeds To The Llan

Circe

Featured Posts

I have no idea if anyone even remembers me, but thought I'd pop in for a quick wave. We're off on our annual longer hop (last year was a round trip York-Nottingham-Stratford-Tewkesbury-Worcester- Macclesfield and home) but this year takes our lovely boat to a new home mooring.

We're leaving the Leeds area and heading over the L&L via the Bridgewater and down to Swanley on the Llan. I'm really looking forward to it. We've done a lot of the L&L before, but never the full length of it. It's been a difficult call (I LOVE the Hudd) but the lack of water lately has probably ruled that one out.

Anything we really should be seeing on the way? All recommendations gratefully received as we have 3 kids (16 to 10 years old) on board too!

Give us a wave if you see us :)

Of course we remember you :)

I've just done the L&L. The advice I received, was ....dont plan anything....if you see something you like...STOP....and enjoy it. From Leeds, the first half is the best......make sure you get past Rodley before midday...if possible...but after that....you can drift merrily along.....it's a beautiful canal...Rodley to Burnley is lovely. Skipton...a highlight town to shop/stop in. Keep the kids busy from Leeds to Skipton..opening all the swing bridges. Numbers 192 and 218 are difficult ones.

Use the trip to moor next to sheep and cows. You dont get that experience often on the other canals...but this one has lots of it.... :)

• Greenie 1

Phew! I was feeling like a bit of an interloper just there. You know it's been way too long when your user picture has disappeared!

My favourite bit is the Skipton to Barnoldswick bit - that's just plain gorgeous - so we're planning a lot of dawdling. We've got 3 weeks to do a 2 week trip. After the year we've had, the sloooooow pace of life is definitely appealing. We've not done any of it between Barnoldswick and the Shroppie, so that's all completely new territory for us!

Thanks for the recommendations smile.png I love the bridges where you can stop traffic. Can't imagine why I insist on doing those ones wink.png

Edited by Circe

We did Swanley to Skipton last Summer. Avoid Burnley Blackburn Wigan and Manchester by Trafford. Some very nice spots on your trip in between these. We did the trip in about 8-10 days

Get in touch with Kiwidad. Ive told him all the best places to moor and he has had no regrets in following my advice so far. He entered Yorkshire from the hole at Stanedge and has gone thru Leeds and is now currently into Lancashire via the L&L.

The Dog House crew remember you ~ we met at Thorne Lock last year.

Good luck on your trip....!!!

Hurray! How are you all? How's Pollington? (Still my favourite lock on the system!)

Sad to be leaving the beautiful Yorkshire waterways, but I have little doubt in my mind we'll be back!

Once you get to Swanley call in at the picnic table on Springe Lane for a warm welcome and gossip.

We will definitely do that! (Once we find our bearings!) Keep an eye out for NB Honey (repaint due in Sept and she definitely needs it!) in a couple of weeks! Looking forward to being there - it seems like a lovely place to moor.

Hurray! How are you all? How's Pollington? (Still my favourite lock on the system!)

All fine thanks - Pollington is great, should be boating again in a week or so as we have been tied to home after coming back from our hols to France.

Probably heading for Leeds and beyond as it's a while since we have ventured that way.

Moor on the bends for a good couple of days. East Martin as well, then countryside moorings wherever you can get them. The concrete edge has a shelf, so look to Armco or bank moorings, also, just before or after swing bridge bollards there is normally enough room to squeeze in before hitting the shelf again.

Having a great time - weather's been kind so far, but unfortunately caught in the Barrowford stoppage. Good chance to catch up on emails and play board games with the kids.

Fingers crossed the stoppage is only a few days - or we'll be re-experiencing the L&L back the other way a bit sooner than we'd expected!

We have just had 5 days on one of the boats - our first 'leisure' boat since 2009!

And it was lovely!.

Just went to Skipton and back. Met some lovely people along the way.

It re-affirmed our view that the top section of the L&L is indeed wonderful but equally we started musing over how we could do just a little bit more of the system......

We stopped in on the off-chance you were around on Sunday, Richard! It really is a lovely part of the waterways.

The way things are going at the moment, we might be heading back! We've got 2 weeks and the boat has to get to Swanley... Think this is going to be interesting!

Shame I missed you, I was in between 10 and 12 and then took the kids out for the day. I think 2 weeks to Swanley is just about achievable via the HNC but only if all the cogs turn as they should. Tunnel availability will be critical.

We're on our way back - are you around? Prepared to beg & plead with tunnel but they were shut before.

There is JUST enough time to do it this way and no chance with the stoppage. Holidays, eh?

:)

We did Swanley to Skipton last Summer. Avoid Burnley Blackburn Wigan and Manchester by Trafford. Some very nice spots on your trip in between these. We did the trip in about 8-10 days

Get in touch with Kiwidad. Ive told him all the best places to moor and he has had no regrets in following my advice so far. He entered Yorkshire from the hole at Stanedge and has gone thru Leeds and is now currently into Lancashire via the L&L.

How can one avoid Burnley, Blackburn, Wigan etc? The route goes through those towns. If you mean avoid stopping, then fair enough but I have moored in Wigan a few times without any problems - locals very friendly if you speak to them. Secure moorings, if needed, at CRT offices and close to town centre.

Back in Skipton and with the Standedge passage booked, it's looking more promising than it was earlier today. Saw the lovely Mrs H, and met some fab boaters (again!) on the way back down. Tomorrow may well be a shorter day depending on timings for the 5 rise - they were very busy the day we came up, so we're resigned to not getting down it tomorrow. Friday and we should be back where we started!

Onwards! :)