New Crt App

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

The must not be much news then, the app is hardly ground breaking stuff.

I'm surprised that someone is working on the CART app when there are better apps already available that give remarkable results.

e-canal mapp are brilliant and cost between £4 and £6 per region. You have to see them to get an idea of how good they are.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=e-canal&c=apps

Now an app for reporting all kinds of faults to CaRT would be a very good idea.

I'm surprised that someone is working on the CART app when there are better apps already available that give remarkable results.

e-canal mapp are brilliant and cost between £4 and £6 per region. You have to see them to get an idea of how good they are.

Agreed, but next the punters will be wanting feedback on their fault report. I can imagine responding with updates to all the fault reports (and getting drawn into dialogues) generating more work than fixing the faults for CRT employees.

Not to mention the deluge of minor faults that would get reported which currently don't, because they just aren't that important to go to the trouble of looking up a phone number to call. assessing and prioritising fault reports would be a significant burden on resources too.

I think the telephone is fine.

MtB

My old boss used to say telephone! What's wrong with walking down the corridor?

He retired before email became common use. I'm talking about an IT department back in the day when the IBM computer covered the first three floors of the building.

{snip}

Not to mention the deluge of minor faults that would get reported which currently don't, because they just aren't that important to go to the trouble of looking up a phone number to call. assessing and prioritising fault reports would be a significant burden on resources too.

{snip}

MtB

Those minor faults do fall outside the funding priorities, they persist because often no-one reports them. I remember this coming up at Hatton last year.

Reporting them may get them fixed

Richard

If I were designing a stoppage app the primary purpose would be to report on existing stoppages, and use a map as well as search by waterway name as the current one does. The technology is all there, and that to me would be very useful. Of course it would still be flawed if the stoppage database is not be up-to-date, as it seems with the Minworth stoppage this weekend just gone. Perhaps CRT also need and internal app to allow those on the ground to easily update the stoppage database outside office hours.

It is a natural progression to allow the reporting of issues by registered users in a stoppage app, that is going to be particularly useful out of hours I would have thought. The current 0800 number to a call centre does not seem to always work well. Also I do find it annoying that they will not publish the regular number behind the 0800 one, forcing those reporting issues, who are inevitably on a mobile phone, to pay for the call.

I think this APP is aimed at non boaters to attract more people to the system it is not for navigation. Though I have to say it looks quite handy for planning things to see and do.

Agreed, but next the punters will be wanting feedback on their fault report. I can imagine responding with updates to all the fault reports (and getting drawn into dialogues) generating more work than fixing the faults for CRT employees.

MtB

All maintenance is graded by importance the most important being where injury could happen. The what we might call minor ones will be passed on to volunteers. The APP will be able to give CRT some useful information if a particular fault has multiple reports. It is also meant to make reporting easier so a badly leaking lock is more lightly to be reported than people thinking "I am sure they are aware"

Hi Richard

As a more direct contact Nicky Wakeford - National Marketing Manager - Seems to be the person responsible for this project

nicky.wakeford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Spot on. I looked back at my correspondence and Nicky's name turned up. I have asked for contact details to be added to each entry to allow errors and changes to be reported.

It is good that CRT are making use of technology such as apps and QR codes. I hope that they don't go mad and assume that everyone carries around a smartphone.

Let us know how you get on with that Mango

Richard

I had a helpful and very prompt response from Nicky. The intention is to bring the information on the website up to the standard of the app, and inclusion of an email address to provide feedback will be considered.