"english Tuff Carbon Steel"? How "tuff" Is It Really?

Capt.Golightly

Featured Posts

Is a an N.B constructed in Carbon Steel likely never to require overplating?

as this seller of this Mastercraft 38ft seems to suggest?

"there is no over plating as it is not required as this boat was made in english tuff carbon steel,"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300928226241&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Edited by Capt.Golightly

Question: Has there been any overplating? how long ago? and could you tell me when it was last surveyed and what the surveyor said about the hull please? thicknesses etc..and when was its last blacking. Also when is the Safety Cert due for renewal .

answer :"Hi there the boat is dry dock every two years in Stone the engine was replaced three years ago and maintained regularly there is no over plating as it is not required as this boat was made in english tuff carbon steel,as the boat was never intended to be sold it was cared for for ourselves.the bsc runs out in the middle of this month but it would be with a four year ticket.i have the hull survey and a gas safety ticket.if i could find the survey i would be happy man it was with the gas ticket but at the price it is up for if it did need any plating it would not be that expensive.i have a canal boat owner who checks the boat for me it was dry docked 2011 old paint abraded and a gloss finish applied not slapped on in a day"

How could you lose something as critical as a survey? though I guess if you never intended to sell it may be less central to your concern.

I'm in the process of buying a boat and getting to the point of committing to a viewing and possible full survey is largely based upon what the vendor discloses.....I'm not made of surveys! After viewing of course, though I have no wish to make endless long journeys unless I am satisfied that there is a good chance of a survey being ultimately favourable.

Edited by Capt.Golightly

Is a an N.B constructed in Carbon Steel likely never to require overplating?

as this seller of this Mastercraft 38ft seems to suggest?

"there is no over plating as it is not required as this boat was made in english tuff carbon steel,"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300928226241&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

That looks rather overpriced

wouldn't give more than 15k for it

The seller is either completely misled (and was himself 'conned' into the tosh about 'Tuff carbon steel')

Or he/she is deliberately massaging with snake oil

Not only snake oil old bean. The boat is apparently fitted with an Eco Fan and a chocolate fireguard.

Tim

If i haven't read that wrong, it says "there is no over plating as it is not required as this boat was made in english tuff carbon steel,as the boat was never intended to be sold it was cared for for ourselves". Then he straight away says "but at the price it is up for if it did need any plating it would not be that expensive".

That doesn't make sense does it?