Shanks Diesel Engines

Featured Posts

I have just been reading, on the forum, comments concerning the quality of Shanks Engines.

Most of the entries are from around 2008 /2010 and concern price of the kit but also other concerns i.e. noise and smoking.

Does anyone have more recent experience of these engines (2012/2013) to enable one to make an informed decision as to replace a Penta with a Shanks. Based on the earlier comments on the form and in the absence of more update info I would be inclined to walk away. What do others think?

The 37 hp version which comes with gearbox is quoted at around £2000 + fitting.

Barrus offer two ranges of engines.

The Shire range is the higher quality one.

The Shanks range, as you point out, is very low cost and allows Barrus to compete in the market sector where a Shire (or for that matter a Beta) would not want to go.

The old saying is probably true: you get what you pay for.

A marinised engine, with gearbox, for £2000, is a bargain.

...........Dave

The 37 hp version which comes with gearbox is quoted at around £2000 + fitting.

That sounds phenomenally cheap.

What gearbox do you get in that price - surely cheapest mechanical PRMs are about £700 plus on their own?

Calcutt want at least £3,500 for a reconditioned BMC engine with a PRM box, so I'm struggling to see how you make a profit out of any marinised new engine at that kind of price point, even if it is a very cheaply acquired base engine.

EDIT: £2,000 including VAT, or VAT to go on top??

Edited by alan_fincher