Digi TV problem :(

tipsygypsy

Featured Posts

Hi again

so we started with satellite Tv which is ok but not brill cos cant get many channels

then we got Nikkai digi outdoor aerial ....installed it and it worked really well, loads of channels FAB

anyway we moved out of the area, as you do, and we lost the channels so we reverted back to satellite

however we now cannot get the digi channels back at all, tested all the bits and pieces for faults etc and cant seem to get the bloody thing working again

any ideas anyone??

cheers smile.png

Have you retuned the TV? IT is necessary almost every night if you are moving around a lot.

The problem is you have to point the aerial the right way before retuning, but don't know which way to point it until after you have retuned. Look at aerials on houses or other boats to give you a clue, then retune, then re-point the aerial, then retune again. Or use an omnidirectional aerial the first time and hope you get at least something. Or get a TV signal finder but I don't find them very useful, particularly as they will find the nearest phone mast if it has a strong signal.

This web site http://www.rwilson.org.uk/candr_tv.html might help you point your freeview aerial in the right direction.

But I don't understand why you didn't get many channels on satellite. I have just started using sat, and provided I have aligned the dish reasonably, I get hundreds of (mostly uninteresting) channels!

If all else fails I will just add something that someone suggested to us when we had a problem - somewhere on your TV there will be a "master rest button" - it was deep in the menu on our TV accessed via the remote control.

We did a reset and retuned and magically everything started working fine again.

There is a very useful free app for iPhones and, I believe, Android phones called 'antenna aligner' for Freeview and also 'dish pointer' for Freesat.

Also, if you have an aerial which needs a power source for an amplifier, on modern TV sets, buried away in the settings menu is a 5 volt option which can power your amp through the aerial lead without requiring a separate power source. Signal quality is improved considerably having an amplified aerial signal.

Ken

Just to add to the excellent advice above; my preferred procedure is to find where I am on www.streetmap.co.uk - then use its co-ordinate converter to feed into ukfree.tv to give maps, aerial alignments and channel/frequency lists.

But; it's very important to make sure that you've got a line of sight to the transmitter - check for them dastardly trees in the way of your antenna...

Edited by DaveP

I'll just add to the list of options by suggesting the excellent Canalplan, which for a while has had links to the Wolfbane predictor on it's gazetteer pages, down near the bottom, for example http://canalplan.org.uk/cgi-bin/gazetteer.cgi?where=Braunston%20Marina%20Entrance is where lots of forum members will be this weekend.

Have been using this since the unfortunate non swimming smartphone incident robbed me of straight line navigation in the maps app, but hopefully that will be resolved soon.