Huawei E5332 & External aerial?

Biggles

Featured Posts

I now have my E5332 unlocked and working with the correct adaptors to take it out to the external areial. This was the reason I went for this model.

Speed test without external aerial about 5mb with about 100k that drastic!

However as soon as I Plug an aerial in (which are all know to work on my router) it kills the data rate.

At first i thought it might be the adaptor shorting but with the adaptor only plugged in it still works fine.

Anyone had similar experiences? or know of or where to look for an answer.

We have the 5332 and an external aerial we got from Connex Technologies which is up a 2 metre mast. It works perfectly and usually gives a full 'green' signal strength on '3' network where it would be a poor orange colour (not orange network) without the external aerial plugged in.

We find it a vast improvement on the '3' MiFi we had before which didn't have an external aerial socket.

I can't think why your having such a poor data rate with the aerial plugged in.

Ken

hi Biggles can you just clarify your speed test results please. Are you able to download at 5mb/sec?

It' what Speedtest reports at so I suppose so

2797924348.png

Without aerial

2797928202.png

With aerial

This is the main aerial Linky

We have the 5332 and an external aerial we got from Connex Technologies which is up a 2 metre mast. It works perfectly and usually gives a full 'green' signal strength on '3' network where it would be a poor orange colour (not orange network) without the external aerial plugged in.

We find it a vast improvement on the '3' MiFi we had before which didn't have an external aerial socket.

I can't think why your having such a poor data rate with the aerial plugged in.

Ken

This is the main aerial Linky i am using and I have tried a rubber duck as well thich also works on the WiFI router.

Do you have a link to your aerial?

i have 5220 with no aerial socket 2801301809.png i'm wondering if it's the length of the extension cable to the aerial.

Don't think so. It works perfectly on the WiFi Router. The cable has been cut down to about 2m

Don't think so. It works perfectly on the WiFi Router. The cable has been cut down to about 2m

Have you tried it with a full length cable? I'm thinking about cable length being tuned to the antenna. Could be wrong but just thought. I'm harking back to my old CB radio days where the cable length and aerial length/size would make a difference to the signal transmit/receive strength.

Here's an excerpt from the SWR wiki

"The most common case for measuring and examining SWR is when installing and tuning transmitting antennas. When a transmitter is connected to an antenna by a feed line, the impedance of the antenna and feed line must match exactly for maximum energy transfer from the feed line to the antenna to be possible."

Don't know if it is what you're experience but food for thought.

Cheers,

Alan.

Hmm, Possible, but my observations were when I cut the cable down on Solwise's approval the 3g router moved more data. I'm really inclined to think it might be the adaptor thats faulty.

To be honest, I tend not to use speed tests. I'm tempted at times, but then it all down to the various complexities melding together to get the best speed. I have a '589' mifi on EE with a 3g/4g signal. The signal is coming into the boat via a 3g/4g antenna, and I have to be honest and say that the general speed is fast enough to spoil! I would suggest that if your signal depreciates when you connect an antenna to your mifi, it is almost as if your antenna not suitable for the task....

I think there must be something wrong with the aerial or plug / adaptor. I use a home made aerial (two bits of curtain pole) with an E5332 and it greatly improves the signal - green instead of orange and two more bars on the Huawei iPad app.

Paul

FWIW - these things are always personal, I find.

I have a 5332 and tried a stubby aerial (similar to Solwise's offering) and it didn't make much difference. I then purchased a "snake oil variety" - long thingy with spirals in the middle (assuming that the coils provided the required impedance correction) and it works much better for me.

I rely on my actual experience than just guessing...

I wonder whether it might be the height of the antenna, or even the topmost element above the ground plane?