Non Existant.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

I was talking to a newish liveaboard yesterday, and it seems they were a bit surprised by the cost, as they said they now wished they had not registered. Apparently more and more are not registering their boats, just moving about and so are 'non-existant' just like many people were with the pole tax (most likely still are). I have seen 2 or 3 boats around here which I now realize are like this, on this quiet waterway.

I was talking to a newish liveaboard yesterday, and it seems they were a bit surprised by the cost, as they said they now wished they had not registered. Apparently more and more are not registering their boats, just moving about and so are 'non-existant' just like many people were with the pole tax (most likely still are). I have seen 2 or 3 boats around here which I now realize are like this, on this quiet waterway.

Dont give me ideas :lol:

Hello Malc

I can't agree with being a licence dodger but the true costs are shocking for many who foolishly haven't bothered to evaluate them in advance. Narrowboats cost more to run than a small house, especially for those in marinas, but there still appear to be many naive people around who think that it's a cheap way of life. There have been some recent threads on the cost of boating from potential liveaboards who at least are taking the precaution of asking first. What I found rather unhelpful was the counsel of some to "just do it", ie. regardless of cost. An extremely dumb piece of advice.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

In my recent experience in selling my boat these naive characters are very much in the majority, in fact probably 90% of all enquiries are from potential live-aboards. A few expressed amazement when I told them I had taken the boat to London this year, "Do you mean all these canals are all joined up". Others were very surprised when I explained that a licence was required for the boat and that you weren't allowed to moor up at a place of your choosing on either side of the canal and just set up home there.

The one and only thing all these people don't lack is a supply of money, though when I suggested to a couple of them that living on a boat is not necessarily a cheap option they gave me pitying looks as though I had implied that the earth may not be spherical.

Now when I get an enquiry for the boat my first question "do you want to live on it", if the reply is in the affirmative I tell them it is not suitable and leave it at that. Although for some good reasons it would be very suitable. Anyway I don't like to think of my pride and joy spending the rest of it's days gently rotting away with a pile of firewood on the roof or my beautiful engine room full of rusty prams and scrap batteries.

Edited by John Orentas

I'm fairly new to the live aboard commuity, but we spent 3 years weighing up all the pro's con's, costs etc before even commiting to anything, let alone buying a boat.

I can see from an outsiders view, the idyl's of living on a boat, tootling down the canal and having a nice time taking in the view, waving to passing boaters, eating outside a nice pub. You know, all the things you imagine it to be when you are taking a walk down the canal and see all this stuff going on.

We spent ages talking to boaters, those who lived on their boats, those who just cruised them. We looked into costs, for everything, and we realised it was not going to be a cheaper life style at all, but for us, it would going to be a different life style, an ambition/dream achieved and gave us the escape from the normal rat race we so readily wanted.

When I first moved on, I was surprised by how many people asked what should have been obvious things like 'Does it have a toilet?', 'Does it have heating?' 'Does it have a cooker?', and the like. It was like I'd brought a rowing boat and stuck a bed in the middle as they were completely niave to what most boats are like these days.

But not paying your license. That's a big no no. If you intend to cruise on the canal system, you pay, just like everyone else has to (should do).

The one thing that has surprised me the most though, out of everything I've been learning since I moved on board, is how little most of the boats move. You get the once every three weeks dash to the pump out and then that's it. They don't move.

I remember when I first came on here to ask a question, Bottle made a comment about, maybe you should move into a mobile home if you are not going to use the boat, as I was deliverating about having a pump out or casette toilet because it meant moving the boat.

I then said we fully intended to use the boat a lot, but bottle's point was right. If you are just going to live in it, why not move into a mobile home, caravan and the like. The water is great, but a boat is made for moving, and it should be moved.

We have not had many trips so far this year, mainly because of all the work that is being done on the boat to accomodate the extra living space, having the stove put in (in this week, yeah!), and general maintenance and things we have been doing to settle down for winter, but I can't wait the next time we go out and get on the cut.

They better not come up the River Lee, then! They repossesed three boats in May and I looked out of the window yesterday morning to see the Patrol Boat towing away another three!

Oh and if anyone passes me, the money was deducted from our account ten days ago, but still no sign of our new license :lol:

When I first moved on, I was surprised by how many people asked what should have been obvious things like 'Does it have a toilet?', 'Does it have heating?' 'Does it have a cooker?', and the like. It was like I'd brought a rowing boat and stuck a bed in the middle as they were completely niave to what most boats are like these days.

we have been doing to settle down for winter, but I can't wait the next time we go out and get on the cut.

People do ask some daft questions don't they? My partner inherited his first nb years ago when he was a teenager. His friend was recalling some of these queries they were asked when they were out cruising it.

Such as 'do you sleep on it?' Their answer was always, 'no, we sleep in the canal' :lol:

Canals and boats in general are seen as romantic by many.

You only have to walk around the London Boat Show to see the look on many

peoples faces as they collect brochures and dream about the craft that they may well one day own (daydream image of themselves as the gallant captain at the helm of a trim little craft).

After all, we are an island and the water is in our blood.

Nothing wrong with all that - a lot of us make our income on that dream.

However, the powers to be will ensure that boating remains expensive. They don't want it to be a cheap solution to the housing shortage. We are already seeing the manifestation of that in licence increases and marina costs. Once red diesel is abolished, the job will nearly be done. People may flock to become illegals - normally rising costs force many to opt out, often because they cant afford to run their boat anymore. Most boaters stretch their budget and live on the edge, costwise.

Whether the likes of BW and the EA upgrade their licence enforcement to match their price rises or whether they will use those that pay to subsidise those that don't, which is a softer option, remains to be seen.

Out of interest, on average, I wonder how long liveaboards live on their narrowboat before they sell up and either buy something wider or go back to the shore ?? Realistically, I can't imagine people spending the rest of their natural on a narrowboat - do they ??

I have lived onboard since Autumn 2003 but often go back to the house for work or whatever reasons, so am a part-time liveaboard.

I can feel a survey coming on !!!

Edited by NB Willawaw

I think how long we remain on our NB for will be dependant on how we cope as the kids keep growing! A boat with teenagers might present some interesting problems! Having said that, they might love it and there will be no problems.

Plus, we can always (if we win the lotto etc) then buy another boat and stick them on it!

I would like to think I will be on mine for many, many years, but I suppose you never say never. I know if I did decide to live on land again, I would be extremely picky about the house I lived in, and would probably always be yearning for the water.

Someone once said to me 'kids shouldn't be on boats, it's for couples, or singletons, but not families'

What do you think?

Maybe this forum is the wrong place to ask such a question.

Most liveaboards do it for the forseeable future.

Initially, they fall in love with the concept, take the plunge, enjoy it immensely

for a variable amount of time and then either the novelty wears off or the situation changes

through illness, divorce, etc.

I need to consult a forum for ex-narrowboaters - anybody know of one ? :lol:

Out of interest, on average, I wonder how long liveaboards live on their narrowboat before they sell up and either buy something wider or go back to the shore ?? Realistically, I can't imagine people spending the rest of their natural on a narrowboat - do they ??

Paul on Tafelburg would be better qualified to answer this, but from my experience, younger kids are much more adaptable than adults. Teenagers might start to resent the lifestyle as they get older and feel their image is suffering or they want more space ???

Someone once said to me 'kids shouldn't be on boats, it's for couples, or singletons, but not families'

What do you think?

What do you think?

I think that what makes you and your family happy and fulfilled is more important than what anyone else thinks. :lol:

Chris

There have been a few come and go on our moorings

The average is about 3years before they sell up.

Some of us are longer (I will have lived abord 14 years in November)

one guy only lasted 6 months....... another did 3 years, got married, then didnt come near the boat for 6 years and has just moved back aboard.

We intend to live aboard until we physically can't manage it anymore, hopefully at least another 15 - 20years by which time we will be in our 70's, if we can make it longer then so be it, my ex next door neighbour is 75 and still spends all summer boating in France but now does need to take younger friends with him to act as crew.

One of the best behaved and good kids I ever met (I hate children) was bought up on a boat, Saw him for the first time in 5 years this summer and he has become a very pleasant 20 something and to link this to another thread he is Micky Cull's son.

J

Our kids are 8 and 14 months, so I figures the earlier the better, and give them something most kids don't have, a different life, open their eyes to what is out there.

I have very strong values in terms of kids being brought up well behaved etc, and I know my kids don't cause any problems, despite there not being many familes at our marina. There are a few though, which did surprise me.

I'd love to say we will live on aboard for as long we will manage it as well. I hope that's the case (if we can all afford the price raises!).

Of course, if you wanted to live afloat cheaply, there is an option, although most would shun it. By a large old boat, preferably steel. Fit it out yourself using a DIY approach. Using second hand, found in skips etc. should be able to make it comfortable for around £500. Then moor on a tidal river with no costs. Buy a small cruiser and licence only for your time travelling around i.e. holidays.

A legal alternative lifestyle, without the hassle of being moved on etc.

Not for me, even living on a NB would be too hard, but certainly worth considering for some.

Of course, if you wanted to live afloat cheaply, there is an option, although most would shun it. By a large old boat, preferably steel. Fit it out yourself using a DIY approach. Using second hand, found in skips etc. should be able to make it comfortable for around £500. Then moor on a tidal river with no costs. Buy a small cruiser and licence only for your time travelling around i.e. holidays.

A legal alternative lifestyle, without the hassle of being moved on etc.

Not for me, even living on a NB would be too hard, but certainly worth considering for some.

Ok go on then, where can one do such a thing lol?

Preferbly somewhere near Manchester.

Paul on Tafelburg would be better qualified to answer this, but from my experience, younger kids are much more adaptable than adults. Teenagers might start to resent the lifestyle as they get older and feel their image is suffering or they want more space ???

I think I can cover this one - 4 small kids (8 -14) and 21yr old on board.

The kids don't suffer from lack of space, it is the parents. Treading on lego and playmobile is a painful experience.

The location of mooring has a major impact on how the kids feel about it. Living on a boat is dearer than running a house, yes, but still cheaper overall. Living on a boat means things like huge fields to run around in, fly kites, build dens. Leaning out the window feeding swans. Paddling round in kayaks.

For the early-mid teens, boats have a 'cool' factor that outweighs the inconvenience.

I think I can cover this one - 4 small kids (8 -14) and 21yr old on board.

The kids don't suffer from lack of space, it is the parents. Treading on lego and playmobile is a painful experience.

The location of mooring has a major impact on how the kids feel about it. Living on a boat is dearer than running a house, yes, but still cheaper overall. Living on a boat means things like huge fields to run around in, fly kites, build dens. Leaning out the window feeding swans. Paddling round in kayaks.

For the early-mid teens, boats have a 'cool' factor that outweighs the inconvenience.

I'm glad to hear someone else doing the same thing. I often think people might resent us doing it, as a lot of the people round us have been there done that, usually in houses, then have the boats to 'retire' on or to move for a quieter life.

I often think they are sitting there thinking 'bloomin kids, just what we didn't want'. Ours are not noisy. They play well away from the boats (for safety and neighbourly consideration), and are in bed for 7.30, and not a peep is heard after that until the next morning, and most folk are up by 6am plus on weekdays for work.

I've also never seen my little ones more relaxed, which leads me to thinking we made the right choice.

The appeal for me and my missus was living close to nature and being self relient.

Plus most of the time the quiet the peace.

Over the years we have had some terrible experiences with neighbours.

I still can never forget the woman two floors down in the flats we used to live in where i used to have to go out armed with a rounders bat even when walking the dog for fear of being attacked by drunks crack heads, bums ect.

She would start singing everynight at midnight(not the missus the old girl down stairs).

At least with a boat you can just move.

I think the costs alone are worth the tranquility.

Edited by anthony

I quite agree with you Anthony. It's worth the money to me anyday.

I spent almost five years putting up with noise from next door. If it wasn't the booming music vibrating through the walls, it was them banging about building things at 3 am, and then just when you thought they would sleep it off all day, we had to endure the teenager from hell exercising her lungs on a karaoke machine all day.

It was hell, and no amount of talking made any difference. I can't hear a thing at night now (apart from the odd enthusiastic fisherman), and it's bliss. It's truly saved my sanity and my kids health and well being.

Being close to nature, being more self sufficient, all of those things are a real bonus for me. Couldn't imagine it any other way, and as you said, you can move a boat. Big bonus if you are really unhappy!

I'm glad to hear someone else doing the same thing. I often think people might resent us doing it, as a lot of the people round us have been there done that, usually in houses, then have the boats to 'retire' on or to move for a quieter life.

I often think they are sitting there thinking 'bloomin kids, just what we didn't want'. Ours are not noisy. They play well away from the boats (for safety and neighbourly consideration), and are in bed for 7.30, and not a peep is heard after that until the next morning, and most folk are up by 6am plus on weekdays for work.

I've also never seen my little ones more relaxed, which leads me to thinking we made the right choice.

We are another one 2 kids one is 11 other is 13 they both love it

Also think they have more interests now. When we were in the house if it didnt have a screen they wernt interested but now both are members of the local rspb and spend more time outside than in

Hello Malc

I can't agree with being a licence dodger but the true costs are shocking for many who foolishly haven't bothered to evaluate them in advance. Narrowboats cost more to run than a small house, especially for those in marinas, but there still appear to be many naive people around who think that it's a cheap way of life. There have been some recent threads on the cost of boating from potential liveaboards who at least are taking the precaution of asking first. What I found rather unhelpful was the counsel of some to "just do it", ie. regardless of cost. An extremely dumb piece of advice.

regards

Steve

Just Do It, I did, and its fine, in fact I have never ever been so content.

Alternatively you could - Just Do It - in a house, it still costs and its crap!!!!!!!!!!

Weigh up your argument, its not dumb, or are you just suggesting that I am?

• 2 weeks later...