Measuring Roof Curve?

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions,

The boxes don't have a base to them, the idea is that the contents sits directly onto the steel, as mentioned for ventilation, so I didn't want to have an extra bit of wood for the base, which will both put the price up, and mean that less can be stored since the wood will bend (Unless I use 25mm ply in which case its going to cost an extra £50.

The boxes should fit the roof curve as well as possible, so although maybe small feet that can just raise the boxes by a cm or two may be a good idea, any more and, because the boxes have no bottom it will look wrong.

I could fold the template and send it as a large letter, but is there any guarantee that they will cut it correctly?

And if they aren't able to measure it themselves then will they be able to cut a template out?

Also - I would cut the curve to give a 1cm gap at the very top of the arch, which should allow for any errors. They are 110 by 120ish cm so the tiny errors in the boats build shouldn't be a problem

1/2" weldmesh is pretty strong but offers good ventilation, a curved bit can be fixed to lengthwise treated battens which in turn sit on rubber feet on the roof to support it, maybe offer it as an option?

With a template if it's printed with 1cm squares most customers might prefer to take a piccie or two and email it back to you, then design it so it sits say 1/2" or 1/4" above the roof to disguise any minor variation.

But also offer a premium service where you get paid to travel within reason and do a bespoke fitting for those who would prefer it just so and be prepared to pay accordingly.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

1/2" weldmesh is pretty strong but offers good ventilation, a curved bit can be fixed to lengthwise treated battens which in turn sit on rubber feet on the roof to support it, maybe offer it as an option?

With a template if it's printed with 1cm squares most customers might prefer to take a piccie or two and email it back to you, then design it so it sits say 1/2" or 1/4" above the roof to disguise any minor variation.

But also offer a premium service where you get paid to travel within reason and do a bespoke fitting for those who would prefer it just so and be prepared to pay accordingly.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Thats not a bad idea, I will have an experiment and see what I can find.

The point I was making about having things off the roof wasn't about directly damaging the paint, it's more about trapping water unnecessarily, a mat will only add to that in my opinion. I like smiley pete's idea of weldmesh though.

Someone above mentioned using trusted agents to go and mesure the jobs for you if you are unable to do so, for me this would be the more favorable option..

I am feeling a little guilty because it may come across as me rubbishing your idea's, I promise my thoughts are just that and i really hope you do well.

Rob

No no its a good point with measuring the curve myself, I would be quite happy to do that, I just figured it would put it out of price range.

I will add it to the FAQ

As for the water and the paint issue, the boxes are pretty much water tight, and having had someone ask about this, I am quite happy to extend the canvas over the hinge joint to make them totally waterproof. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Doodlebug

As for the water and the paint issue, the boxes are pretty much water tight, and having had someone ask about this, I am quite happy to extend the canvas over the hinge joint to make them totally waterproof. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Doodlebug

I think "wanted" was referring to water creeping under the box by capillary action & pooling there.

Edited by Spuds

Get a 6 feet long, straight piece of wood.

Mark off from centre every 3" (75mm).

Lay wood on roof ie touching in middle.

Measure distance below each mark from bottom edge of wood to roof (middle mark will be zero)

Text/email measurements to builder.

Voila!

Isn't a section through a boat roof close enough to a circular segment for it to make no significant difference? All you need is the length of arc, the height difference between the ends and the middle, and the length of the chord, and the shape is fully defined.

He knew a thing or two, that Euclid geezer.

This is a great idea and I hope Doodlebug will give it consideration. I would suggest that the piece of wood was supported at each end with wooden blocks so that it sits correctly across the curve.

As I said, that Greek was a clever bloke.