Story Of My Carp on the Middlwich Branch Canal

Featured Posts

:) I just thought I should share with you my quest to catch the fish that kept snapping my lines....

3 weeks ago I was doing a spot of fishing of the back of my boat, I was using the top 3 sections of my fishing pole and caught a lot of small roach & a few skimmer bream, my float dissapeared and i hooked in to a much bigger fish, the fish took off, the elastic in the pole extended to the other side of the canal and then my hook length line snapped.

A week later I decided to step up my tackle just in case I hooked the monster again, sure enough my float dipped and the monster was on, I played it for around 15mins (It seemed much longer than that though), Eventually the hook pulled out - I never even saw the fish!,

This week end I was on a mission, I decided to target the fish and stepped up my tackle once again, again my float dipped, I lifted into the fish and played it for around an hour before I even saw it, My wife had the net and this time I managed to land it, a lovely 17lb Common carp! :rolleyes:

:)

This week end I was on a mission, I decided to target the fish and stepped up my tackle once again, again my float dipped, I lifted into the fish and played it for around an hour before I even saw it, My wife had the net and this time I managed to land it, a lovely 17lb Common carp! :rolleyes:

Cook it with dil weed, super!!!

The fishy forum probably told my carp friends in the marina, as try as they might, the fishermen who fish opposite don't seem to be able to catch the big devils.

Mind you, if you were getting a variety of lush leftovers for tea, you wouldn't bother swimming over for maggots either would you?

fromoldcom021.jpgfromoldcom010.jpg

one of these is 17 pound the other 14 pound leeds and liverpool near to slipway,right by the liveaboards who throw out the food scraps.

Wow, well maybe we have strange fish then, either that or they get so high on the washing detergent some people use, they are all tiddly and can't swim straight (they certainly make themsevlves known when they are bashing under our boats at night to savour the delights of the left over rice (it seems to be a favourite)).

The old saying 'why go out for burgers when you can stay home and have steak' springs to mind (although used in it's literal context. Maybe in your case, your fish like to eat out a lot!

I would like to taste carp, so what is the way to cook them?

I seem to recall seeing that Hugh Fearnley Whatsisface (River Cottage bloke) cook some canal or river fish that you wouldn't normally have thought edible, and I think he kept it alive for a week or so in an outside bathtub with a constant flow of fresh water

I seem to recall seeing that Hugh Fearnley Whatsisface (River Cottage bloke) cook some canal or river fish that you wouldn't normally have thought edible, and I think he kept it alive for a week or so in an outside bathtub with a constant flow of fresh water

The French eat carp, pike, in fact almost anything, usually whilst swigging pastis and going 'hehaw, hehaw, hehaw' and wearing Breton shirts with matching onions. :lol::lol:

Treat as any other white fish, be warned the flesh can taste quite 'muddy'

Treat as any other white fish, be warned the flesh can taste quite 'muddy'

I think that was the point of rinsing through for a week.

Otherwise, enough Pastis can disguise pretty-much anything :lol:

I think that was the point of rinsing through for a week.

Otherwise, enough Pastis can disguise pretty-much anything :lol:

Like most things they taste of what they eat but carp tend to be a bit muddy.

Wash the carp well and gut it. Put dil weed inside, a bit of salt and some butter on the outside and wrap in foil to steam it for about 15 minutes per pound. You need to use a fair bit of dil weed herb. It is cooked when the meat leaves the bone easily. Pike can be done the same way.

Serve with a tomato sauce with herbs or how you like it.

Thats a lovely looking common carp there..

At my marina, i have only landed a few bream.. and nice 4 pound tench and thats it. but im only fishing with a float and some sweetcorn.

i know theres some big carp in there, i got talking to a chap whos part of the fishing club there, theres been a 32 pound carp out of there and a 27 pound pike :lol:

aparently its swarming with pike, its no wonder some of the bream i pulled out were a bit scar'ed.. The dont fight or anything such a lazy fish (and slimey )

• 1 year later...
:rolleyes: I just thought I should share with you my quest to catch the fish that kept snapping my lines....

3 weeks ago I was doing a spot of fishing of the back of my boat, I was using the top 3 sections of my fishing pole and caught a lot of small roach & a few skimmer bream, my float dissapeared and i hooked in to a much bigger fish, the fish took off, the elastic in the pole extended to the other side of the canal and then my hook length line snapped.

A week later I decided to step up my tackle just in case I hooked the monster again, sure enough my float dipped and the monster was on, I played it for around 15mins (It seemed much longer than that though), Eventually the hook pulled out - I never even saw the fish!,

This week end I was on a mission, I decided to target the fish and stepped up my tackle once again, again my float dipped, I lifted into the fish and played it for around an hour before I even saw it, My wife had the net and this time I managed to land it, a lovely 17lb Common carp! :D

good on ya thats beeter than i ve had this year well done .....do you get a lot of carp in the canals i have been carp fishing for well quite a while now amonst other things i sell pva bags on ebay at present good luck to ya mate