pump out toilet smells

fastcars

Featured Posts

hi we have bought a new boat with a pump out toilet which smells bad I am replacing the seals but have noticed that where the pipe work comes from the toilet to the tank it has to go up to the top side of the tank .I was told this should be straight or some will stay in the pipe and cause the smell . so should I lift the toilet so that the pipe work out of the toilet is at the same level as the pie work in to the holding tank .also is it worth fitting a carbon filter between tank & vent ,would appreciate any help thanks

I can't comment on your toilet installation, but I'd suggest that you try "Biomagic". It's the most affective anti-pong additive that I've found so far.

http://www.biomagicuk.com/

If you've had "Blue" in your tank or any other of the formaldehyde based additives, you will need to give your tank a good cleanout before using "Biomagic".

hi we have bought a new boat with a pump out toilet which smells bad I am replacing the seals but have noticed that where the pipe work comes from the toilet to the tank it has to go up to the top side of the tank .I was told this should be straight or some will stay in the pipe and cause the smell . so should I lift the toilet so that the pipe work out of the toilet is at the same level as the pie work in to the holding tank .also is it worth fitting a carbon filter between tank & vent ,would appreciate any help thanks

If your toilet is a macerator toilet (such as Vetus or Lee San) they are more than capable of 'lifting' the waste slurry over 500cm - - (and all waste into the storage tank MUST be entered from above)

IF you are using standard 'Elsan-type' Blue (or Green) - that may be your problem -

what you should be using is a completely 'bio' based solution - (Biomagic; Odorloss; yeast (I've even heard that some folks use bio washing powder - but I've never tried it)

It depends if the smell is coming from the tank or from the pipework between the toilet and the tank. If its flexible pipe with liquid laying in it, then eventually the pipe will smell.How long before it does is the only debatable point.

THANKS BOAT NOT NEW JUST NEW TO US I WILL TRY BIO MAGIC THANKS

If you do use any of the 'bio' methods you will have to make sure all previous treatments (if blue) are thoroughly cleaned from the whole system.

Not doing so will kill the 'bio' and render it totally ineffective.

Even better to have it run downhill to the tank. wink.png

Our macerator pumps up to gunnel (spelling ?) level and then the pipe runs just under the gunnel and down into the tank.

It runs for nearly half the length of the boat in solid pipework with welded joints and only flexible where absolutely needed.

Make sure you buy the correct flexible pipe suitable for black waste.

I had much the same problem and stopped using Blue , and the smell has gone . The easy answer for a pipe was waste in it is to flush water through . You will obviously fill your tank faster but it will stop the pipe ffrom smelling .

At Stretford Marine we pump out loads of tanks. Smells seem more prolific if the tank has been stood with no treatment in it, the more you turn the tank over the less it smells. It helps when pumping out to flush the tank by backfilling with water and rocking the boat, this dilutes the slurry in the bottom of the tank. Just sticking the machine on till nothing more comes out is not the answer.

Several boaters refuse any tank treatment claiming they eat a lot of plain yoghurt !!!

I would agree with earlier comments if it is a new boat take it back and have it checked out.

Our pump out toilet smells too ,so we are trying out some of the suggestions mentioned here. When we flush ours a gush of air comes out so it looks as if we have and air-lock maybe?? If so how do we solve the problem and could this be the cause of the smell?

How big is the breather pipe, and is it blocked?

We had the same problem when ours was new, because the builder had used only half-inch pipe for the breather. We had the pipe and fittings changed to be the same size as the pumpout, and the problem completely disappeared.