Punch Bowl Wharf

Featured Posts

Hello

Can anyone supply any information on Punch Bowl Wharf Nuneaton ?

I have this on a family Birth certificate = Canal Boatman of Punch Bowl Wharf Nuneaton U.D.

Was this a large wharf ? Did it have an area where a boat could tie up whilst the women dealt with the business of child birth ?

This address is given as place of birth & also under rank & profession of Father

,I am wondering if they tied up alongside a canal company office.

The Birth was however for some reason registered long after the legal time under declaration @ Southam Warwick.

This makes me think that they may have been back on the move very soon after the birth

Sorry forgot to mention the Birth took place in the beginning of 1930.

Jeannette

hi,

we moor in nueaton around this area , i am not 100% with this information , but hope this helps.

there is pub called the punch bowl on camp hill area tuttle hill with the large old quarry , working boats moved stone from here , there are two loading docks one near the anchor pub but i think it was at bridge 24 on the coventry behind the jurkin quarry ( waste area tip now) . there is a loading bay with moorings area with the lenghts man house with the old horse stabbles. ref canal farm!

its a mooring for around ten boats with a loading dock for the quarry, look after tby the lenghts man house facing - boats report to sutton stop .

this is only information which i hear over the 6 years moored here, so not 100%

cheers

ian

Many thanks Gentlemen for you help.

All records i have indicate him as always working the tar boats on the Oxford

so was a bit surprised to find him working out of a quarry.

As he had two other sons maybe they decided to continue working & the baby reg

when they had the time.

Jeannette

There were various wharves along the Coventry canal, where canal carriers called. near Punch Bowl Bridge were the Bar End wharves that at one time had the wharfingers Craddock and Bull. It was not just a group of wharves for quarry traffic.

Ray Shill