BCN Experts : S&L Colour Scheme

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm in the fortunate position of perhaps being able to get BCN 18686 (our old BCN day boat) repainted.

However, given that she was an OI or open iron day boat originally, and it seems Alfred Hickman didn't have a particular paint scheme for his fleet, I'm considering using a variation of S&L colours given they took over the company in the 20s.

I think I've read somewhere that S&L colours were Bright Red, Grass Green and Ivory. Would anyone be able to confirm? How were the colours most often deployed, eg. Green panels and red border, or red panels with green border??? What's a good boat to have a look at in terms of accurate colours/design (Bittel?).

Anyone know where I might get the most accurate reproduction of the colours?

Also any advice on 'standard' BCN day boat colours if there were such a thing. I know a number of companies had unique colour schemes (Matty's boats come to mind) but is a variation of red and grass green generally thought to be the 'standard' colours on the cabin day boats?

Any advice would be gratefully received

Regards

Nick

I too am looking at this, I'll race you, although I don't think that there is much to go on, one day we should bash our heads together over a pint. .. ....

Dan

ETA

there are some great photos around some colour but plenty of B&W ones, there is a great one of Bittell nicely written but no colour.

Edited by stagedamager

I too am looking at this, I'll race you, although I don't think that there is much to go on, one day we should bash our heads together over a pint. .. ....

Dan

ETA

there are some great photos around some colour but plenty of B&W ones, there is a great one of Bittell nicely written but no colour.

Sounds a plan. I wonder if any of the tugs will be attending Braunston?

Red panel surrounded by Green lined in white on cabin boats and tugs. Wooden day boats had "common blue" sheering with a red oxide top inner plank, stretchers were unpainted. Bow red flas surrounded by white with BCN number.

If Dan would fix this site I could post a colour picture!!

Hi

Just a couple of images found whilst web-browsing today to illustrate this thread. Day boats carrying exactly the colour scheme described by Laurence in his post above.

img_15431.jpg

gallery_5000_522_49531.jpg

bcn-2369.jpg

bcn02c1.jpg

Nick

Hi

Just a couple of images found whilst web-browsing today to illustrate this thread. Day boats carrying exactly the colour scheme described by Laurence in his post above.

img_15431.jpg

gallery_5000_522_49531.jpg

bcn-2369.jpg

bcn02c1.jpg

Nick

Nick I would be interested to know where the second picture came from as its one of my personal slides and I am not aware of it being in the public domain other than possibly on CWDF (if we could access the photos!). This is precisly why I will not use photobucket in a lot of instances because of copyright infringment.

Nick I would be interested to know where the second picture came from as its one of my personal slides and I am not aware of it being in the public domain other than possibly on CWDF (if we could access the photos!). This is precisly why I will not use photobucket in a lot of instances because of copyright infringment.

Laurence,

Google image search shows three results:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52823

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewkw/8124402075/

The first two were posted here by you, the second link on 25 October 2012. Andrew Watts uploaded it to Flickr the following day.

So I think you have your answer!

Laurence,

Google image search shows three results:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52823

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51513

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewkw/8124402075/

The first two were posted here by you, the second link on 25 October 2012. Andrew Watts uploaded it to Flickr the following day.

So I think you have your answer!

David,

thanks for that but in Nicks blog are more of my pictures which are used without credit or source noted. I amongst others are sick and fed up of this misuse of copyrighted material. In the case of the E W Reed boat the photo was took on my honeymoon and is certainly not for use by anyone who choose to pinch it. The photos on this forum are posted in my album and recently so as not to spoil the viewing I have omitted the visible watermark. these waterway images are part of my business which I do not intend to make available for everyone and is dog to use for their own ends. The inability to post on here at the moment ias a nuisance as I would have liked to have answered recent questions with pictures. I will not use photobucket or similar as access is to easy..

I think this is the problem with photobucket and the like, it allows copyrightable material into the public domain where people can use it without necessarily realising the copyright implications. I have had photos published on a blog without my permission, however, once the individual was made aware, many apologies were passed, and photos were suitably credited, and interesting conversation struck up afterwards. I'm sure in this instance Nick would be more than happy to credit once made aware of the situation.

Regards

Dan

Dear All

I have been in touch with Laurence via a private e-mail to apologise for my utterly unintentional copyright infringement, and have committed with him that I will certainly record all information about where any image was sourced where I use images either here or on my website. I really am sorry to have caused offence and upset in my enthusiasm to share images found.

I hope the fascinating threads continue, and that images are shared in the future.

Best wishes to all

Nick