width issues

simon&jan

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Being that little bit closer to finally buying our first NB we are paying a lot closer attention to different hull shapes and the extra width at floor level some seem to give with straighter sides, so my question is this just the moor expensive hulls manufacturers that do this ???

I would say how vertical the sides are is not particularly related to the initial cost or quality of the hull.

Some do it one way, others another. As I understand it the trend to leisure narrow boats came from builders based around Birmingham, and the more vertically sided style is often called "Birmingham Square", although that would imply truly vertical hull-sides, which leisure boats rarely do have.

There is a potential downside that offsets any mall increase in interior space near floor level, though. Unlike working boats nearly all leisure boats are built by standing the hull sides on top of the base plate, and welding them on, but leaving a protruding rubbing edge of up to (say) 1". The idea is this is sacrificial, and if anything wears away, it will be that lip, not the actual join between sides and base. If the sides are too vertical, that can make the base plate wider than most of the hull. If the boat it being worked through a tight lock, and tilts slightly, there is a risk that the base plate can get caught up on a lock side, and (for example) "hang" the boat on its descent. (Don't ask me how I know this!).

The baseplate needs to be significantly narrower than the hull at gunwale level, to minimise such risks. Not all are.

Straighter cabin sides are not always a good thing on a narrow boat,

I may have misread it, but thugh the question being asked is about hull-sides, not cabin sides?

For cabinsides I can only agree!

No bang on there Alan was hull sides i was on about and thanks for the in depth reply

Its probably more a psycological? thing seeing a wider floor maybe ?? On one i was looking at the sideboard units where nearly half the depth at floor level than worktop height and on others radiators are almost verticle !!

In tunnels and under bridges?

Indeed - this was highlighted to me on here when I was looking for a boat and asked about the East/West Chinese boats on here.

However it looks like I am talking about the wrong bit of the hull the OP was asking about.rolleyes.gif

Indeed - this was highlighted to me on here when I was looking for a boat and asked about the East/West Chinese boats on here.

However it looks like I am talking about the wrong bit of the hull the OP was asking about.rolleyes.gif

Talking about cabin rather than hull sides a greater tumblehome looks more pleasing to the eye and square cabins look pretty awful. Most builders try to get a compromise on space at shoulder/.head height and appearance.

Tim

Hi on the width issues topic.

I have a 1986 Springer that has been fully over plated with 6mm steel making her wider than before. I cannot enter the Llangollan canal as Hurleston lock is very narrow and the exit from the newly reopened Droitwich top lock onto the Worcs and Birmingham is a bit of a squeeze but passable.

Are there any other tight spots that I should be aware of or avoid particularly on the Oxford south of Cropready and the Huddersfield Narrow?

Thanks

Brian

A modern boat built to 6'10" with vertical sides will have no problems at all assuming that they're built straight! That's how we build them.

Most canals were built to accommodate boats that are over 7' wide and there are many working boats at this width that have no problem whatsoever.

Hi on the width issues topic.

I have a 1986 Springer that has been fully over plated with 6mm steel making her wider than before. I cannot enter the Llangollan canal as Hurleston lock is very narrow and the exit from the newly reopened Droitwich top lock onto the Worcs and Birmingham is a bit of a squeeze but passable.

Are there any other tight spots that I should be aware of or avoid particularly on the Oxford south of Cropready and the Huddersfield Narrow?

Thanks

Brian

http://hnbc.org.uk/navigation-issues

It's probably worth buying a Tirfor winch or similar and learning how to flush out in case you get stuck.

You could also try going up backwards, as believe it or not this works sometimes!