Weedy Witham?

Unmani

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Since the stoppage at Cromwell has dashed our plans for this week we're looking for alternatives.

We fancy a trip up the Navigable Drains and wondered if anyone could advise on the current weed growth levels.

Thanks.

Unmani.

Crossed the Witham today at Tattershall twice

No weed. There is a bit of crud floating about but it looks the stuff that comes up from the bottom when the water warms up a bit

If you want to do the WND, now's the time! There's hardly any weed down here (yet!)

PF (moored at Chapel Hill on the Witham)

Edited to add - do check your airdraught. There was a map available from IWA with all the details, if you can't locate it then the best person to ask is Allan (keeping up) cos he's organised and will know exactly where it is! ;-)

Edited by Purple Fairie

After Lincoln there is the White Horse at Dunstan and opposite it the Riverside Inn at Southery. There is a pub on each side of the bridge at Kirkstead Bridge (Woodhall Spa). There's the Packet Inn at Dogdyke

Those are the ones I know but Rachael (Naughty Cal) knows the route from Lincoln to Boston thoroughly as, I should think, do Purple Fairy and Smudge

What about the Sleaford Navigation? I gave up on that a few years ago due to the physical impossibility of getting through the solid weed, but was hoping an earlier start would let me do better. Unfortunately still held up by the stoppage at Shepley Bridge (C&H).

Our web page includes a link to the map.

There aren't many pubs on the WNDs themselves. The one at Bolingbroke was about the only one outside Boston - unless the one at Bunkers Hill has reopened?

Brilliant, thank you.

I like pictures 24 & 25 and the whole thing looks like great fun.

Best stock up on lots of beer then, if only to lower our air draught.

Pubs on the Witham

Fiskerton Fen - The Tyrwhitt Arms a short walk from along the road or accessible by boat of you head through Bardney Lock and turn left up the old course of the Witham

Bardney - The Nags Head at the top of the hill

Dunston Fen - The White Horse,

Southery - The Riverside Inn

Kirkstead - Take your pick at Woodhall Spa lots of chose plus the Railway adjacent the moorings

Langrick Bridge - Witham and Blues American Diner if you are lucky enough to be able to get a table.

Dog Dyke - The Packet Inn

Antons Gowt - Malcolm Arms (Opposite side of the drain to the lock entry onto the navigable drains)

Boston - Take your pick but we usually end up in The Little Peacock.

Good shops avaliable in Bardney, Woodhall Spa and Boston. Diesel at Geordies at Langrick Bridge.

As for weed well there isnt really any about at the moment. Some of last years dead stuff has come off the bottom but no new growth as of yet. Hopefully it will stay that way this year.

Brilliant, thank you.

I like pictures 24 & 25 and the whole thing looks like great fun.

Best stock up on lots of beer then, if only to lower our air draught.

Yes. beer makes an excellent way of lowering the air draught - but don't drink it all before you've got back under the bridges!