Engine mounts - Fixed v flexible

Featured Posts

The reason I say I do not think its a Velevetdrive is that I do not remember them having what looks like a brake-band adjuster (top centre) and that pipe connector thing that is just below it. I also can not remember any part of the case casting that would allow the foot/bracket to be fitted to it.

Just been looking at Velvetdrive images and indeed, some models do have provision for fixing engine feet as shown. However I could not see the "brake-band" thing, but then most images showed the other side of the box.

Edited by Tony Brooks

It's an awful pic Tony, I am sitting above ours at the moment and can only just make out some similarities!

Ours does indeed have two tapped holes in the casing where the mounts in the photo appear to be. I think I can just make out the ID plate on the right of the photo but can't see the shift lever which should be visible with the rating plate.

No adjusters, nuts bolts etc on the top of our box either!

I wonder if the op can get details off ID plate on next visit?

That's a crude set up!

Your brackets are bolted to the casing using a single bolt, the side we can see is mounted infront of the optional neutral inhibitor switch cover (3 bolt cover) the opposite side is just infront of the dipstick/filler, the rating plate will be above the bracket correct?

You may be able to get the mounts from rs components or similar.

Our setup is mounted from the sae adaptor plate, which was what I was expecting to see on yours. The mounts tony is talking about are nothing like yours.

I've very limited experience with velvet drive boxes, but..

Looking on the web, lots of Velvet drive boxes have pads for mounting feet, mostly two pads one above the other. Those feet could well have a second, lower, bolt.

Tim

I've very limited experience with velvet drive boxes, but..

Looking on the web, lots of Velvet drive boxes have pads for mounting feet, mostly two pads one above the other. Those feet could well have a second, lower, bolt.

Tim

I agree and I think I can just about make out a shadow that may be the gap between the two pads but its that think that looks like an adjuster that confuses me. I have seen some photos of what Gazza says is an inhibitor switch but it was was not square.

I think we wait for more information otherwise I will only go on confusing people.

Here some photos of the drive I took yesterday. There is a 'Velvet Drive' label on the gearbox. There appears to be a 'D-17-0' as the model but can't find any information for it.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/Graham_Jackman/Velvet1_zps2571900e.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/Graham_Jackman/Velvet3_zpsdb4d1a4a.jpg

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w542/Graham_Jackman/Velvet2_zps3bff3bbe.jpg

thats better!

cant make out if those brackets use both mounting holes on the side of the casing or just the one.

intrigued how the mount is attached to the bearers, again its not clear from the pics.

no doubting its a borg warner velvet drive now!

Edited by gazza

thats better!

cant make out if those brackets use both mounting holes on the side of the casing or just the one.

intrigued how the mount is attached to the bearers, again its not clear from the pics.

no doubting its a borg warner velvet drive now!

Looks almost as if its sat on an old (ball) bearing as a spacer. If so it is rigidly mounted but I would have preferred a length of hard wood.

Looks to me like bits of steel tube, welded to the main bearers and with welded steel caps. A reasonable method if done properly, if there's room for final alignment with shims. Hard to be sure from the pics, though.

Tim

The tube section is welded to the base with shims underneath the support.

I'm going down to the boat later so will try and delve a bit further to take a closer photo.

It's 32 year old David Piper boat, would these have been the original engine mounts ?

With such a short shaft and that not very flexible shaft coupling my advice would be to forget flexible mounts because they are likely to case more noise and vibration that the present setup as the shaft is banged about in the stern gear.

It would be interesting to see the front mounting system because it could have the vehicle rubber blocks connected to a cross member which in turn is rigidly mounted to the beds.

Without a shadow of doubt an aquadrive or similar and soft engine mounts is the way to go if you can.

We can sit in the cratch with the engine running and not hear it or feel any vibration.

431779_167729603396014_1782682505_n.jpg

With such a short shaft and that not very flexible shaft coupling my advice would be to forget flexible mounts because they are likely to case more noise and vibration that the present setup as the shaft is banged about in the stern gear.

It would be interesting to see the front mounting system because it could have the vehicle rubber blocks connected to a cross member which in turn is rigidly mounted to the beds.

Tony,

I think the front mounts are similar to the gearbox mounts with supporting legs off the engine sitting on tubular section welded to the base although can't be too certain.

I'm next back on the boat on Monday so will take some photos then. I did mean to take some photos of the gearbox mounts today but I'm afraid it slipped my mind.

To be honest the boat is only a 40ft and I usually take it out on my own so the noise & vibration aren't much of an issue anyway.

Ken - Thats an impressive engine layout. I think it's a long time since my engine bay looked that clean !

Without a shadow of doubt an aquadrive or similar and soft engine mounts is the way to go if you can.

We can sit in the cratch with the engine running and not hear it or feel any vibration.

Agreed for engines that in other applications use flexible mounts but there is no way the OP will be able to fit an Aquadrive unless he can move the engine forward by a foot or so - which I doubt.

I think the on;y practical thing to do is to stick with what he has, although in view of what he said about the front mounts I may be thinking about some hard wood bearers between bed and foot rather than the steel things.

Photo shows the front mounts of my BMC 1.5 engine fixed onto support welded to the base.

The bracket on the velvet drive gearbox is fixed by 2 bolts , the bottom bolt cannot be seen in the photo (at post 33) as it is underneath the horizontal support leg.

Thanks for the information and comments on this post.

Graham.

VELVET4_zps150364e9.jpg

Edited by Bloomsberry