Eberspacer - How long does it take to heat up Calorifier ?

Cashflow

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm going to install a Eberspacer this year and am thinking about replacing my leaking Calorifier at the same time. (I've an old air cooled engine so the Eberspacer will be the only way to heat the water.)

So using an Eberspacer how long does it take to heat up your Calorifier and what size is your Calorifier ?

I'll then have a better idea about what size I need.

If it only takes 10 mins or so to heat up a 40 litre calorifier - for showering why would I need anything bigger (I don't liveaboard) ?

Do people use anything smaller for 5 to 10 mins showers ?

Or have I got it all wrong and am living in dream world ?

Thanks

Andy

hi andy,

sorry i dont know what size my calorifier is,but i would be fairly sure it is probably what most folks would call about medium and i have the dw5sc eber.if i turn the rads off i could have a decent shower in about half an hour.45 will wash the dishes and have a shower and an hour will get two showers.i have read that it is best to let the eber run through its cycle for one hour.when i am on my own i will turn the rad in saloon off and the rest down low and have the shower and some nice heat all around the boat when i get out of the shower.hope this is of some help.

paul.

I have a 7DW & I allow 1/2 hour before I get decent hot water in my 55Ltr calorifier. Whether that helps or not, I'm not sure as I don't heat up a cold calorifier just to take a shower, I run mine in the early morning & late afternoon so by the time I want a shower it's been running for about an hour or two.

It's recommended that you run all diesel heating systems for at least an hour cycle, otherwise the glo-plugs foul-up.

And it won't take an hour to heat up a 55ltr calorifier.

Have you considered an instant (gas) water heater instead?

Just wondering where this recommendation is made as I can't find it in the manual for my D5 model. Is this newer advise from Eberspacer?

I have run my eberspacher for 30 minutes a day for hot water for the last 5 years except for when I am cruising. My glow plugs seem to be happy with this usage pattern.

I have one radiator (the bathroom one) turned 1/4 on otherwise the header tank starts to make funny noises!!

If it's just hot water you want invest in a good gas instant water heater , there's a Morco electronic ignition that's supposed to be good . My Eber sucks , 1.5 hours for hot water versus instant . The newer electronic ignition heaters are not nearly as dangerous as the old ones . Also with an Eber you have to let it dispel all the power it as so will need a radiator on full time .

i have never had any of the above problems with the eber.as far as i know a lot of the problems arise because of bad installation.if you do decide to go with the eber they have very concise instructions for installation on their web site but as folks have said before if it is just hot water you want you might be as well off with the gas instant heater.

paul

I have read this in this forum several times, Meggars, particularly in regard to peeps having problems with fouling glo-plugs

I have run my eberspacher for 30 minutes a day for hot water for the last 5 years except for when I am cruising. My glow plugs seem to be happy with this usage pattern.

I have one radiator (the bathroom one) turned 1/4 on otherwise the header tank starts to make funny noises!!

I think the discrepancy here is due to the time it takes to fully heat the circulating water. For a radiator circuit, it can take getting on for a hour for the whole circuit to heat up to max temperature such that the eber might be thinking of shutting down. But if you are just heating the calorifier circuit, the same happens much more quicky.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I take on the advice regarding instant gas heater but am trying to make the boat gas free. Electric fridge (& Solar Panels), Eberspacer & Deisel Wallas hob and oven will all allow me to eventually remove my gas locker.

I think I will just connect the Eberspacer to my slightly leaking Calorifier and see how it goes.

Cheers

Andy

With all the reported problems with Eberspachers running on red diesel I don't understand why anyone would consider installing one? While it's true that poor installation does account for some of these problems, in other cases it's simply the units themselves that just aren't suitable.

For non-liveaboards they're probably ok, but in my opinion liveaboards should probably steer clear. For a really comprehensive documented account of the problems one liveaboard forum member had with 2 eberspacher water heaters several years ago (DW10 and DW5), search for Roger Gunkel's posts.