Temperature Monitor for stove installation

The Construct

Featured Posts

I've just prototyped a temperature monitor for a solid fuel stove installation & thought I would share it here.

I found some tiny temperature sensors, so controlling the sensors and LCD using an arduino (open source controller).

I have published my findings on my blog http://www.mysilverbullet.org & I hope some of you folks may find it interesting and useful, theres a pdf on my blog you can download.

I must admit I am not an expert with the arduino, I have just researched a few ideas on the web and utilised some stuff I found, I suppose thats the great thing about an open-source controller & this democratic world wide web.

Hope you enjoy

Such projects may be seen as "overkill" but nevertheless it will be interesting. I note that your diagram on your blog shows all 3 wires to the sensor connected (making the statement that it is "1 wire" rather false IMO!) however if you read the data sheet on the sensor you will see that it can be powered from the data line, so in fact it only needs 2 wires (still more than 1 though!).

It might be easier to programme using just a thermistor as the sensor, and an A/D converter in the likes of a PIC microcontroller (which are still my favourites being cheap and requiring minimal external components) although I suppose there is library software these days for I2C protocols etc (I had to write my own when I did such a project years ago!).

Other manufacturers are available such as Ecofan (which rattles frantically and the draft from which can almost be detected when the stove is getting too hot) or a mechanical stove thermometer for about £8. But that would be SO dull!

Great idea however the silicon and package of the DS1820 are not rated to the temperature the stove can get to. Also adding a micro means that you've got some interesting issues with code validation etc.

I looked at doing something like this a few years ago and found some bi-metalic strip thermostats with ceramic cases that could cope with the temperature. I was going to wire it up using Raychem 77 cable to cope with the temperature however I eventually abandoned the project.

My brief intro does not explain the ins and outs, you can find more detail in the PDF but I'm not trying to measure the temperature of the stove, I'm interested in the fabric around it, Ive seen some images where the hull lining & fire board is badly charred, so I am trying to measure that temperature, I expect it to be less than 60degC. I will embed my sensors probably between the tiles (just leave a bit of grout out) and also measure the temperature of the air space behind.

I agree with nicknorman, 'one-wire' is a little misleading but its what they call it, I just went along with it, I suppose its one cable and I use a 3 core. The smart thing is each sensor has a unique address, so they can be connected to the same wire. I could have used one sensor on different inputs but that would have meant 5 cables