Restoration Scheme doing well

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

The Loss of the Somerset Coal Canals Allen Scythe due to theft two years ago has not stopped our efforts at restoration, indeed, the society now have more Allen Scythes than we know what to do with, thanks to people hearing of the theft and donating machines.

Seriously though, I'm a bit cheesed off that some restorations only make it here when they hit trouble, so I thought I'd post the coal canal's progress, such as it is.

Since November 2011 we've had five WRG weekend work parties at Combe Hay and Timsbury Basins. Some of the pounds at Combe Hay will be re-watered and we are working on a plan to rewater the Bull's Nose, between locks ten and 11 where the canal does a 180 degree turn in not much more than a boat length. BW have offered second hand gates for cosmetic purposes, which we intend to use to make the Combe Hay Flight (or at least the publicly accessible bit) more authentic. Full restoration of the locks (22 in one flight) is a long way off and likely to be the last part of any long term restoration.

However restoration is starting in earnest at Timsbury and Paulton Basins. When I finally make it back to the South West next week I'm hoping to have a look at the work on the dry dock (necessary because it's one way we can drain the canal there!). The scheme here started when Paulton Parish Council approached the society about the basins, and then included the aim of regeneration in the community action plan. For the first time we were being asked to restore the canal, rather than us asking to be allowed to do so.

Land owner agreement is coming together to allow restoration of about 3/4 mile for boating. Political and practical problems are limited, and no supermarket has yet proposed to build over the line. They probably have noticed the poor road access, which is a headache for us too. Restoring canals in rural areas comes with a different set of issues.

So, it'll be a while before boats reach Paulton from Dundas, but it has at least reached the "plausible" stage of restoration

• Greenie 2

Not specifically a canal restoration, but the heritage boat Kennet has started a new season on the L&LC. On the 13/14 April we opened for the first time this year at the Saltaire World Heritage Weekend, with over 1000 visitors coming on board over the weekend. The next event is the Skipton Waterway Festival, 4-6 May which is usually our busiest weekend. We are always looking for new volunteers to help with moving ang staffing at events. Contact details are on the L&LC Society's webpages.

Kennet's subsequent movements so far arranged for this year are:

28th May – Skipton to Bingley 5 Rise Top Lock.

9th June - CRT Bingley Family Day.

10th – 13th June - CRT Bingley Schools Week.

27th-28th June – Move Kennet from Top of 5 Rise to Thwaites Mill Leeds

29th & 30th June - Leeds Waterfront festival & IWA Thwaites Mill Boat Gathering.

1st Week in July – Move Kennet from Leeds to Waterways Museum in Goole

27th -28th July – 40’s Week End at the Waterways Museum Goole

During August – Move Kennet from Goole to Bradley.

1st September - Bradley Family Day.

9th – 26th September - Craven Area Schools Weeks.

27th – 29th September - Skipton Puppet Festival

Ooooh, didn't realise any restoration of the somerset coal canal was taking place.

What length boats will it take when you're done? I have the impression in my head that it used very short boats during its working life? I could be completely wrong on this, I can't find a reference to this anywhere so maybe I made it up.

I'll keep my eye out for work parties near the junction with the KandA, I'd love to help some time.

Ooooh, didn't realise any restoration of the somerset coal canal was taking place.

What length boats will it take when you're done? I have the impression in my head that it used very short boats during its working life? I could be completely wrong on this, I can't find a reference to this anywhere so maybe I made it up.

I'll keep my eye out for work parties near the junction with the KandA, I'd love to help some time.

A new member for the coal canal - result!

Looks like you are onto something Patrick

It would be easier to find in a societies section...

Richard

Hi Sassan, the canal took 70 foot narrowboats, and the old locks are well worth a visit. The nearby Dorset and Somerset Canal did only take little boats, and was also never finished. We tend to look after that as well, although we aren't going to restore it.

I'll PM you my contact details. The website is www.coalcanal.org but like so many such sites it is run by a volunteer who also has other things to do.

You would be most welcome on a work party!

A new member for the coal canal - result!

Looks like you are onto something Patrick

It would be easier to find in a societies section...

Richard

How do we go about this Richard?