2 bits of advice on CS2 lubrication

Nev

Featured Posts

Hi,

Excuse my simple questions but I am new to older engines (having has a Beta 1505 in my last boat) but very keen to be able to maintain the engine and understand it. I don't do learning by books, I try but I learn best when shown or when doing it myself, I think it is called trial and error !

I have a CS2 in my boat and will be doing an oil change before I go off for a couple of weeks to the Shroppie. Above the oil pump there is what looks like a bleed screw that connect to a pipe with a sight glass. Best I can assume is that this is a way of checking the oil pump is pumping rather than a pressure gauge (I understand this engine uses a simple splash method of lubrication rather than a pressurised system.)

http://flic.kr/p/ee23m4

My question is do I undertake the oil change (it has a pump connected to the sump plug) take out the strainer and clean it with paraffin then refit add new oil and restart, opening the screw to check if the pump is pumping correctly... not sure why it would not unless it needs priming and I have no idea how that would be done.

My other question is on the lubrication in the recess around the two valve springs. I have read elsewhere on the internet this mini sump needs oil all the time.... can someone confirm this as I don't recall reading it in the very simple Lister maintainance book... or if I did I missed it??

My final question is the fuel filter I understand is a simple wick...as this

http://www.stationaryengineparts.com/fuel-filter-wick-2232-0.html

Not having time to get to the boat before I do the work just checking this is the element for the fuel filter? (it is the cast iron type )

Many thanks in advance,

Nev

That is definitely a fuel filter

How well it filters is a bit of a mystery

Personally, I'd rather have a standard cartridge filter somewhere up the line and leave the sock filter out

Richard

Thanks Gents for the replies, yes it is (was) Tony's boat. I was trying to answer my questions without taking up his time as time is money for him. I will of course ask if I cannot resolve my few queries by this forum.

Thanks

Nev

Thanks Gents for the replies, yes it is (was) Tony's boat. I was trying to answer my questions without taking up his time as time is money for him. I will of course ask if I cannot resolve my few queries by this forum.

Thanks

Nev

Time is money for a lot of us, & we didn't sell the thing ;)

Tim

Hi Nev

Whilst genuine Lister CS engines do exist on canal boats yours is a hybrid from an Indian clone so you may not get in depth answers. The originals and clones are very popular in the USA driving alternators to provide off grid AC power. The Lister Engine Forum caters for both original and (Listeroid) clone versions, so you may find it provides some answers.

I believe there is a low pressure pump feeding the main bearings with splash lubrication to the bottom end via a "dipper" on the end of the big end caps.

Edited by by'eck

Hi Nev

Whilst genuine Lister CS engines do exist on canal boats yours is a hybrid from an Indian clone so you may not get in depth answers. The originals and clones are very popular in the USA driving alternators to provide off grid AC power. The Lister Engine Forum caters for both original and (Listeroid) clone versions, so you may find it provides some answers.

I believe there is a low pressure pump feeding the main bearings with splash lubrication to the bottom end via a "dipper" on the end of the big end caps.

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I have spent many hours reading through the US forums as you say they use the CS originals as well as the Indian clones for their gen sets. I did my research on Tony's import and what he did to it to marinise it, just wondered if there were others out there with either the original or a clone in their boats. I enjoy the learning and this forum in the main has been very helpful. Just had a look at your build blog, a very nice boat indeed. Having a small saloon and no dinette on Percy I was particularly interested in the drop down table, a good space saving option and one we may have to consider ourselves.

Regards

Nev

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I have spent many hours reading through the US forums as you say they use the CS originals as well as the Indian clones for their gen sets. I did my research on Tony's import and what he did to it to marinise it, just wondered if there were others out there with either the original or a clone in their boats. I enjoy the learning and this forum in the main has been very helpful. Just had a look at your build blog, a very nice boat indeed. Having a small saloon and no dinette on Percy I was particularly interested in the drop down table, a good space saving option and one we may have to consider ourselves.

Regards

Nev

Thanks for comments on my boat. Its the semi-circular collapsible breakfast table in galley (and stools) that I have found the most useful.

Not sure if Tony built and sold any more CS engines other than the one in your boat.

Whilst there are others this genuine CS is the only one I have seen fitted in a Hudson shell fitted out by Edgehill.

128329.jpg

IMG_1514-1.jpg

Although it retains twin flywheels, note the steady bar that was found necessary due to the low mounting feet on this model.

Edited by by'eck

Thanks for comments on my boat. Its the semi-circular collapsible breakfast table in galley (and stools) that I have found the most useful.

Not sure if Tony built and sold any more CS engines other than the one in your boat.

Whilst there are others this genuine CS is the only one I have seen fitted in a Hudson shell fitted out by Edgehill.

128329.jpg

IMG_1514-1.jpg

Although it retains twin flywheels, note the steady bar that was found necessary due to the low mounting feet on this model.

Tony had one more in his workshop when I brought Percy. I was under the impression he could not figure why there was not more interest. Whilst not original the work I know Tony did and the look in the boat was a big decision for me, plus the history and the engineering of the boat. Interesting that the one above seems to have an oil pressure gauge, still unsure why on a splash system, unless it gives a low pressure reading to show the pump is still pumping?

Next time you head towards Fradley let me know if I am about I'll look out for the boat, we are on Hunts moorings.

Nev

Edited to say the tension bar reminds me of the one we had on our old Mini... that snapped and I had to get re-welded !

Edited by Nev

Tony had one more in his workshop when I brought Percy. I was under the impression he could not figure why there was not more interest. Whilst not original the work I know Tony did and the look in the boat was a big decision for me, plus the history and the engineering of the boat. Interesting that the one above seems to have an oil pressure gauge, still unsure why on a splash system, unless it gives a low pressure reading to show the pump is still pumping?

Next time you head towards Fradley let me know if I am about I'll look out for the boat, we are on Hunts moorings.

Nev

Edited to say the tension bar reminds me of the one we had on our old Mini... that snapped and I had to get re-welded !

Because part of the lubrication system is (low) pressure fed as mentioned above. That's why you have an oil pump.

Or is it a thermometer?

Richard

No its a pressure gauge. The water temp gauge is at the top.

BTW there are full flow oil filter kits available for the CS and Listeroids allowing the use of modern detergent multi-grade oils.

CS_oilfilter-01.JPG

Ahhh, this gauge...:

128329.jpg

I was looking at the wrong photo

That is an ugly installation

Richard

Agreed, although I'm most offended by the head stay. Not much power left to push the boat along after driving the 4kW AC alternator and two DC ones with only 16 bhp to start with.

Not surprisingly It was for sale for a long time - a great shame as the rest of the fit out was beautiful.

I'm very surprised by that head stay. Is this engine on flexible mounts? Or does it twist the engine bearers?

Richard

Although it retains twin flywheels, the low mounting feet that CS engines have rather than the higher crankcase mounts on JP's, must have created a need for this stay. I know this one is mounted on belting though which is not recommended even with JP's.

I guess with careful balancing and maybe alternate mounts you can manage without stay and only one flywheel as Tony Redshaw has done with his CS clone.

Although it retains twin flywheels, the low mounting feet that CS engines have rather than the higher crankcase mounts on JP's, must have created a need for this stay. I know this one is mounted on belting though which is not recommended even with JP's.

I guess with careful balancing and maybe alternate mounts you can manage without stay and only one flywheel as Tony Redshaw has done with his CS clone.

There is little or no movement on the engine in Percy. Tony supplies the engine on its own frame so I have to presume it has revised mounts.

The link to the alternate fuel filter... allowing use of modern oils is interesting. I will investigative the oil flows on Percy to see if one could be retrofitted, I understand the way the old and new oils work by the latter holding the particulate in suspension to be filtered via the oil filter.

Nev

Edited by Nev

Well all done... no real drama. I have done some background internetting and now understand all the relevant lubrication areas, including the valve stems. I have checked and the pump is pumping well. The engine certainly sounds even better now it has new oil.

Thank you for your replies to my post. Next big job will be head off to see if it needs a decoke in a few more hundred hours.

Edited by Nev