K&A Western End Report

dmr

Featured Posts

We try to get down the western end of the K&A every year. Here is my almost impartial report on the evils of this place!

Travelling from Devizes down to Bradford on Avon loads of space on ALL visitor moorings we passed.

Arrived Bradford on Avon day before yesterday. Visitor Moorings EMPTY except for one abandoned liveaboard boat that has been there for months (why has owner or CaRT not pulled it down to the 14 day moorings to be out of the way?).

Lots of space on the 14 day moorings. Quite a few "crusty" boats (and quite a few posh ones) between Bradford and Bath but well spaced out. EVERY liveaboard boater that was out smiled and said hello!.

Lots of space above Bath on the 14 day stretch, one space on Darlingtom wharf.

Sydney wharf is the main visitor hot spot with space for about seven boats. Two spaces taken up by local hire company storing/mooring hireboats on the visitor moorings, third hireboat stored in Bridge 'ole. Had to wait ages whilst this boat was moved to let a widebeam through. Hireboat returned to bridge 'ole even though we were waiting to pass, had to squash past.

Moored on Sydney wharf. Approached by team of CaRT "Chuggers" . I refused to give money and pointed out that CaRT are vandalising the canal...lovely historic cast iron standpipe at Bath replaced with ultra-modern stainless steel monstrosity,

Today......

About 10 hireboats came down.

Half were all male groups here for the Rugby, already well lubricated by 11am. One moored on waterpoint, we suggested they move..they reversed back to empty space (and very nicely too).

Another lads boat moored partly on lock landing: they had just left space for another boat but other boats did not realise this and had lots of navigational adventures.

Another boat came down with loud music and lots of girls dancing on roof, well lubricated (lager that is). One girl exposed chest to lads on rugby boat, Sadly her back was towards me.

Walked into Bath. Bath had won rugby by skin of teeth, all pubs packed. Walked to Widcombe pub. Lovely pub (as always) drank too much beer. Down to Bristol tomorrow.

Lots of diesel in canal near hirebase but no sh*t.

...........Dave .

• Greenie 1

third hireboat stored in Bridge 'ole. Had to wait ages whilst this boat was moved to let a widebeam through. Hireboat returned to bridge 'ole even though we were waiting to pass, had to squash past.

The guys at that boatyard are always so nice, but it really annoys me that they do that all the time.

I'll try and give you a wave as you go by tomorrow. (bright yellow NB on the left hand side between Kelston and Saltford locks)

Sounds like another day at the office.....

Folks having fun!!!

Too true and long may they continue to do so!!!..

I think the point he was trying to make was that the visitors moorings were in good supply at the western end ....as most people seem to say they are full of non moving liveaboards

Edited by Gillie

I must have passed you on route as I went fro Bath to BoA on Friday , nice run , but every VM at BoA bar 2 was taken , but generally not too busy below the lock . Not sure what the "evils" are as , as you said everyone was friendly , not too much traffic , met a boater I had met last year on the Worcester and Birmingham at one of the swing bridges ( was that you ? ) . It was crazy time at BoA with the hirer boats , but evryone having fun , and that's how it all starts isn't it , our desire to live on the cut .

Try the Apple Tree , The Bell and The Star in Bath , good pubs all round .

. (bright yellow NB on the left hand side between Kelston and Saltford locks)

Depends which side of the boat is facing the river ! About time you finished painting Doug ! biggrin.png

Hi Rick..yes that was us passing you at the swing bridge..after meeting you at the pub at Tiberton (is that right?) last year!

I think the evils are that a lot of folks seem to dislike the K&A a lot..I can see why though sometimes..especially those reduction gear paddles ..they are really sapping!

We went to The Ram at Widcombe...very nice pub and good beer!

Try the Apple Tree

Do you mean The Green Tree or does this place have a bar?

http://www.appletreeguesthouse.com/

Depends which side of the boat is facing the river ! About time you finished painting Doug ! biggrin.png

Shiny side to the river, of course! It is getting to that time of year, though. If only we'd have a day or two without any of those tiny showers, nothing like a little spatter of rain at the wrong moment to waste a mornings work and 20 quids worth of paint..

Hi Rick..yes that was us passing you at the swing bridge..after meeting you at the pub at Tiberton (is that right?) last year!

I think the evils are that a lot of folks seem to dislike the K&A a lot..I can see why though sometimes..especially those reduction gear paddles ..they are really sapping!

We went to The Ram at Widcombe...very nice pub and good beer!

Yes it was Tibberton , hhope to see you again soon !

We try to get down the western end of the K&A every year. Here is my almost impartial report on the evils of this place!

Travelling from Devizes down to Bradford on Avon loads of space on ALL visitor moorings we passed.

Arrived Bradford on Avon day before yesterday. Visitor Moorings EMPTY except for one abandoned liveaboard boat that has been there for months (why has owner or CaRT not pulled it down to the 14 day moorings to be out of the way?).

Lots of space on the 14 day moorings. Quite a few "crusty" boats (and quite a few posh ones) between Bradford and Bath but well spaced out. EVERY liveaboard boater that was out smiled and said hello!.

Lots of space above Bath on the 14 day stretch, one space on Darlingtom wharf.

Sydney wharf is the main visitor hot spot with space for about seven boats. Two spaces taken up by local hire company storing/mooring hireboats on the visitor moorings, third hireboat stored in Bridge 'ole. Had to wait ages whilst this boat was moved to let a widebeam through. Hireboat returned to bridge 'ole even though we were waiting to pass, had to squash past.

Moored on Sydney wharf. Approached by team of CaRT "Chuggers" . I refused to give money and pointed out that CaRT are vandalising the canal...lovely historic cast iron standpipe at Bath replaced with ultra-modern stainless steel monstrosity,

Today......

About 10 hireboats came down.

Half were all male groups here for the Rugby, already well lubricated by 11am. One moored on waterpoint, we suggested they move..they reversed back to empty space (and very nicely too).

Another lads boat moored partly on lock landing: they had just left space for another boat but other boats did not realise this and had lots of navigational adventures.

Another boat came down with loud music and lots of girls dancing on roof, well lubricated (lager that is). One girl exposed chest to lads on rugby boat, Sadly her back was towards me.

Walked into Bath. Bath had won rugby by skin of teeth, all pubs packed. Walked to Widcombe pub. Lovely pub (as always) drank too much beer. Down to Bristol tomorrow.

Lots of diesel in canal near hirebase but no sh*t.

...........Dave .

Hire boaters are really not given enough training on the etiquette expected on the waterways and probably do not bother to do much research before they go on a week or two's holiday. Mooring on lock waiting areas is an obvious no-no to us but maybe for non-boaters this is not so obvious. I find if we explain these sorts of things, politely, to people, the information is generally well received. You get exactly the same thing with travellers in Asia where people do not bother to learn local customs and give offence to the indigenous population with their behaviour. Sadly this is a reflection of our modern self-centered culture where people are increasingly uninterested and unconcerned about anyone else except themselves. This myopic world-view looks set to deepen. The irony is that the last two generations have been able to see the world, even the remotest parts, like never before and yet people seem to learn less and less about local cultures. This same ignorance prevails on our inland waterways. Has anyone noticed, in London especially, how there are two sets of prices for 2nd hand narrowboats : the proper price which boaters pay and double that for those who see a boat as cheap housing and make no effort to learn about boats! The say ignorance is bliss? Not so, it can be very expensive and culturally divisive.

• Greenie 1

More sweeping generalisation anti hire boater stuff, please at least insert some at the start of all that.

Edited by The Dog House

More sweeping generalisation anti hire boater stuff, please at least insert some at the start of all that.

I don't see that it is anti hire boaters,Martin.The point about hirers needing tuition is valid.However you need to moor in an area with a multitude of hire boat companies to fully understand the stress created by some hirers.Most of these type of hirers are never going to be future boat owners,they are just out fer the crack.

yes sorry. Many hire boaters DO learn the ropes properly. We only notice the one's that don't. I work on the railways as a driver and found myself getting sick of "everyone" complaining "all the time". Of course thats generalisations for you, I only notice the whingers because they are in my face....whingeing!

I don't see that it is anti hire boaters,Martin.The point about hirers needing tuition is valid.However you need to moor in an area with a multitude of hire boat companies to fully understand the stress created by some hirers.Most of these type of hirers are never going to be future boat owners,they are just out fer the crack.

Key thing there is the word 'some' I have no doubt that there are 'some' - I've met some of them myself.

yes sorry. Many hire boaters DO learn the ropes properly. We only notice the one's that don't. I work on the railways as a driver and found myself getting sick of "everyone" complaining "all the time". Of course thats generalisations for you, I only notice the whingers because they are in my face....whingeing!

Fairynuff you understood the point I was making and having dealt with many wingers in my job too I can empathise.

Lies...all lies.. The K&A is a feaces strewn backwater overpopulated by bridgehopping hippies. And rumours that the water levels are full up are not true either.

The canals up North are much nicer..

So true, the northern bit I mean, but sadly not that many people drag themselves away from the narrow ditches to see for themselves.

You should try to live on a 9 mile stretch of canal (albeit a horrible canal), with in excess of 50 hireboats, a large number of which are hired out to 'booze cruises' of some sort. Having a sober inexperienced hirer (or new boat owner) bump into you, appologise, and take on board any help and advice you give them is one thing. Being smashed into by a 70foot boat crewed by drunken bafoons, who will only laugh, or hurl insults, is a different matter.

I sometimes don't know why the K&A is so highly regarded.

The point is made and explained above luc ~ try reading it, I really tire of the tarring of all hire boaters that goes on on this forum we were serial hire boaters once and were never ever drunk in charge of our hire boats.

Edited by The Dog House

Let's not revisit hirers bashing , there are good ones and there are bad ones . I helped a guy out at Bath that didn't know how to reverse , he had his nose on the wall and was trying to turn out in forward gear , he took the advice and was happy for the help . At BoA later there were 5 boats unable to grasp that you should go into a lock in two's . I nearly collided with one boat that tried to pass me on my right and this is all within 24 hours that I witnessed . As Luctor works the canal , and his boat is far from shiny ( sorry Henk , you're a diamond geezer though ! ) I'm sure he has had more than his fair share of numpties to put up with .

I think alot (not all, but alot) of the problems people face with hireboats is really the fault of the hire companies. I can't count the number of hirers I've met whose training has consited of "that's forward, that's reverse, push this right to go left and left to go right, seeya later", they can't really be blamed for a lack of boat handling skill or knowledge of waterways etiquette. Two examples that spring to mind are the honeymooning couple I met at Bradford Lock who hadn't even been told to expect locks on their journey, let alone how to operate one, and a stag-do (some drunk, but a fairly sober steerer and a couple of sober-ish crew) I met in Bath Locks who were heading down onto the river unaware that they were heading onto river and the different challenges they were going to face when they got there. I don't think it's unreasonable for them to expect a fairly decent bit of training before they're sent out on their own, it's marketed as a relaxing holiday for all the family, after all.

There are better and worse hire companies for this, I know for a fact that Moonbeam (I think that's the name, Moon something) take their training pretty seriously, and I've never encountered a Foxhangers boat that wasn't confidently crewed, but some round here are truly awful, which leads to this anti-hirer sentiment among boat owners which only exhaserbates the stress the hirers find themselves under on what should be a relaxing holiday.

Up until the time that all hire companies start training their customers properly the best we boaters can do is provide that training as and when we encounter them out and about.