State Pension

sal garfi

Featured Posts

As people say, it depends on your lifestyle .... I have been living on considerably less than that for some time, and stashing a bit for license etc,

I am never cold on the boat, and am often amazed to hear what some people spend on heating costs. I am fairly low maintenance, eat well and party fairly hearty (though I don't consume alcohol often ... tis the devils brew you know) ....... you pays your money and takes your choice

The situation is improving now with an ever increasing income from my business (gratuitous self promotion linky) (and no, haven't sorted website yet)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Herb-Boat/480568218650175?ref=hl

but I do wonder if I will ever get my pension .... as my retirement age seems to go up as often as diesel angry.png

and it has to be said, all that time I spent in the 70's and early 80's burning my undies and demanding equal rights and pay has backfired a bit on the pension front blush.png I was hoping chaps retirement age would come down rolleyes.gif ....... and I wouldn't mind so much if all of our lovely young people were in gainful employment and there were hundreds of vacancies smiley_offtopic.gif rant over

cheers.gif

Quite true Happy Bunnny, joblessness among the young is a tragedy. Not many firms want to employ a lot of the older workers either. A friend of mine wants a job and hates being on jobseekers . Large lumps of this country are employment deserts . Its not uncommon for applicants for jobs to run to thousands. Despite what the government and the media think most people want a job.

I clicked on the above link (Jonk 15th April) and just to support the idea of this pdf book I paid to download the pdf version offered. SO far I have not found out how to actually download it. Having paid with paypal the website sent me back to a members only section or the opportunity to buy it again!

I have sent the site owner a message and await a response.

I had an email back with the pdf attached. Clearly a lot of work has gone into the book but I have not had a chance to read it all yet.

First impression is that I am not quite sure I like the need to constantly link back to the host website for information which is not in the downloaded book. Although I appreciate this is a way of keeping the information in a modern electronic book, up to date, it would be better if the book actually contained the information as it stands on date of download plus the ability to update it over time. Also, I do not feel comfortable with the apparent need to register on the authors website for other information, and the advertisement promoting an additional product for yet more information, at yet more cost.

Kevin and HappyBunny: you're the first people to actually answer m'query - thanks! The two of us already live a very austere life, in terms of money that is. Like you HappyBunny, we've spent too many years doing the kinds of things that haven't caused us to look after our pensions, eg jobbing archaeology (very poorly paid but fun), travel and working hard at not becoming tied to the old 9 to 5 etc. We've actually succeeded, but our house is a tad dilapidated and we're cash poor. We may not go out often, but we do eat well and we live in a very pretty place. We even have a VW 'wedgie' campervan.

Kevin, your sums make sense, but I guess that more's got to be added for diesel (if CCing) and gas, and probably some coal. We already live in a cold house (it's in a frost pocket and relatively un-modernised), and we're dependent on a multifuel stove, so living in a smaller space with a stove might even be luxury! Of course there's repairs and money needed for a rainy day, but we think that should come out of whatever profit we make from selling our house. This has all been good food for thought. Thanks to you both again.

And CanalChef: you're right about that downloadable PDF. You'll also see that he's made some mistakes with his sums. Also there are no costings for diesel for travel.

Ta ra,

Sal

Thanks everyone for your responses. But what's really interesting is that no one who lives solely on a state pension has responded. Perhaps it means that it's not possible after all. But I will not be deterred from doing more research on the matter.

Upwards and onwards!!

ta ra,

Sal

It could be that people do live on the state pension but money is so tight that the internet would be an unjustifiable luxury.

I live on less than £125 pw but do earn through a summer job enough to pay licence and insurance. When I sold my house I kept the endownment policy going at £72 pm and still do, but I will probably only get out what I paid in though that is not to be sneezed at.

As far as your house goes are there not still government grants for things like loft insulation etc which would make your house more saleable if not higher priced. A few cans of paint will make a lot of difference to the look of the house for prospective buyers. If the house is in need of repair the buyer will not want to pay the local average if they are going to have to fork out for lots of work to be done. Here in Oxford we have a charity organisation where people take spare materials from their DIY projects which are then available for people on low incomes. It is surprising how many people over buy paint and paper There might be some similar scheme near you. Of course there are always freestuff sites

With regards to diesel for travel I travel until my batteries are charged and the washing done then stop. This makes the best use of my diesel. Were I to install autopilot I could do the hoovering as well.

I eat well and drink too much.

It is doable but it depends who you are. It is not easy.

Try to think about what you will do if one of you becomes seriously ill or god forbid disabled. Once you have sold your house and moved on to a boat it is not so easy to reverse the situation. Your boat will not appreciate in value.

I love being on my boat but the one thing which gnaws at me constantly is the dreams about sinking, this before health would get me off the boat. It is having a detrimental effect on my mental health. I know it sounds odd, but its the truth. In my dreams my boat has sunk completely after mooring up in 2 feet of water. Silly I know but nonetheless I wake up with a start and am afraid to put a foot on the floor lest it finds water. Is it just me? I dont know. Ho hum!

Edited by Maffi

. Like you HappyBunny, we've spent too many years doing the kinds of things that haven't caused us to look after our pensions, eg jobbing archaeology (very poorly paid but fun), travel and working hard at not becoming tied to the old 9 to 5 etc.

Ta ra,

Sal

Ooh .... where did you dig? .... i worked "the circuit" for years, it was such fun back in the day ..... Maffis advice on diesel use is good, and invest in solar panels and a chain saw if you have not got one, tree heating is free heating, and looking at what has happened to many of my friends pensions, I'm glad I didn't invest in anything other than my state pension ..... cool.png

I've been an archaeologist since 1974, and my other half and I met in a post-medieval cess pit in London. We started there (the DUA) but then worked in East Herts (where we milked our landlady's cow and goat for our rent), and then we worked in Egypt with a season in Iraq (back in the early 80s). Barbie became an archaeological illustrator, but she stopped that years ago. I then did archaeology for conservation architects and then went back to the M.E. I also did contract landscape surveys for the National Trust here in Wales. I'm now doing modern conflict archaeology in the former Spanish colony of Western Sahara. I'm even making a PhD out of it - finally, after 30 some odd years!

And yes, Maffi's idea about fuel use is a good one, and trees are free, we use as many of our own as we can right now. And you're right about pensions, we've heard some bad tales. We're lucky that we did invest in stone and mortar, however, the housing market for sales is very, very moribund in Mid-Wales!

Oh...,and yes, archaeology was fun way back then. Nowadays many archaeologists have just become quantity surveyors..., ho hum - change and decay!

I've been an archaeologist since 1974, and my other half and I met in a post-medieval cess pit in London. We started there (the DUA) but then worked in East Herts (where we milked our landlady's cow and goat for our rent), and then we worked in Egypt with a season in Iraq (back in the early 80s). Barbie became an archaeological illustrator, but she stopped that years ago. I then did archaeology for conservation architects and then went back to the M.E. I also did contract landscape surveys for the National Trust here in Wales. I'm now doing modern conflict archaeology in the former Spanish colony of Western Sahara. I'm even making a PhD out of it - finally, after 30 some odd years!

And yes, Maffi's idea about fuel use is a good one, and trees are free, we use as many of our own as we can right now. And you're right about pensions, we've heard some bad tales. We're lucky that we did invest in stone and mortar, however, the housing market for sales is very, very moribund in Mid-Wales!

Oh...,and yes, archaeology was fun way back then. Nowadays many archaeologists have just become quantity surveyors..., ho hum - change and decay!

Interesting PhD ..... and interesting lives .... hope to meet you out and about at some point cheers.gif

Not your typical pick up place, unless you want to pick up some horrible desease. Maffi can you hear someting dripping?

I've been an archaeologist since 1974, and my other half and I met in a post-medieval cess pit in London.

Hi Sal

If you're considering this it will be worth requesting a Pension Forecast from the Pensions Service 0845 6060265. The amount of State Retirement Pension payable to a couple is a very moveable feast and Kevin's figure above only reflects one of a very significant number of permutations.

When you hit State Retirement Age will also be material and there may yet be transitional protection to the likely imposition of a capital threshold to Pension Credit. You may qualify for moorings and licence to be paid via Pension Credit or even Housing Benefit if Graham's opinion of IDS is as flawed as I suspect.

We live in interesting times where welfare benefits are concerned; best you seek up to date advice from a local provider.

Hello Smelly,

Yes, benefits are undoubtedly in a state of flux right now, and I've still got a few years before hitting 65. In fact I'll just make it into the new 'universal' retirement/pension benefit by a few months, so things might be quite different by then. You're right in that I'd seek proper advice closer to the time, and yes, I believe that I can now get a pension forecast online. My other half and I don't want to give up on this as yet. We don't lead a life with many luxuries at present, so I think we should be able to pull this off, provided we've got a back-up stash for major repairs if and when they might occur.

By the way, you call your boat Sudan, do you have connections with Africa? I hitch hiked across the Sahara, both ways back in the 70s, and I'm still involved with deserts!

Sadly no connections with Africa. She was called Sue, I am called Dan.

As to entitlements; as you rightly say, there's barely more than a concept of how many chickens might come out of that basket..