Name and Number

Featured Posts

What are the rules if any regarding the name and the name number of a boat. I know on canals there are no exceptions as to how many boats with the same name. Is it just the Thames where each boat must be unique. If you do have a number how do you know whether you are the first with that name or the thirty first.

If you search for a name on Jim Shead's site you can see how many boats have that name.

You can search by each individual licensing authority also if you wish or use 'All' to get the total number.

Also bear in mind the info. is updated only annually so may not be 100% accurate in regards to a particular name. It's also worth noting sometimes there may be anomalies - for example our boat does not come up using The Dog House, but it does if you just use Dog House.

Edited by The Dog House

If a boat has been registered with Thames only licencing but not C&RT will the boat be the first to register with C&RT. What happens if you visit the Thames.

I'm fairly sure you can keep whatever name the boat carries if it's just a visitor licence. When we bought ours (at a lock) there was no question of looking up names, and although our boat was built for the TC, the EA has a newer tug with the same name.

Tim

If a boat has been registered with Thames only licencing but not C&RT will the boat be the first to register with C&RT. What happens if you visit the Thames.

You buy a visitor license and get on with enjoying your trip.

Certainly no check is made on the name of your boat, or for any duplication with any other boat.

Our boat failed to have a name on the outside at all, and at no point was this ever objected to, although I'm sure technically it should of had, (as indeed itshould have according to CRT bye-laws....)

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Shead's boat registration site states that records are only updated once per year at the beginning. My own registration 520728 was obtained in advance in Feb 2012 but the completed boat was not registered until July 2012. Its name or number still doesn't appear on Jim's site though.

Later numbers do however, the latest presently being 520902. I note that the last two hundred or more all show the same last registration date of 20-Apr-2012.

Has someone forgotten to update this year or is it imminent?

Jim Shead's boat registration site states that records are only updated once per year at the beginning. My own registration 520728 was obtained in advance in Feb 2012 but the completed boat was not registered until July 2012. Its name or number still doesn't appear on Jim's site though.

Later numbers do however, the latest presently being 520902. I note that the last two hundred or more all show the same last registration date of 20-Apr-2012.

Has someone forgotten to update this year or is it imminent?

When I've had a similar query, I've emailed Jim Shead directly - and found him most helpful and responsive

Edited for spellling

Edited by Grace & Favour

When I've had a similar query, I've emailed Jim Shead directly - and found him most helpful and responsive

Edited for spellling

Thanks for suggestion. Just got reply from Jim indicating list will be updated within a month.