water pump advice

petalponk

Featured Posts

so i've got a shurflo 2095 which recently started leaking round the edges, so following advice on here I got a replacement valve kit.

Set up -> water tank - stop cock - water pump - pressure tank thing - another stop cock - outlets.

I'm going to have to remove the pump from the system cos there is no room to work on it where it is and obviously I'm going to close the 2 stop cocks but my question is about the pressure tank thing - is there going to be a lot of water and is it going to go everywhere??

Any advice appreciated :)

Turn the power off first then turn the taps at the sink on - this will relieve the stored pressure in the

accumulator. Then you can close the pump isolators and disconnect. Some water will remain in the

pipes - worth trying to catch in a shallow tray, but not a vast amount,

springy

• Greenie 1

Cheers springy,

just on a side note we've now developed a leak, under the kitchen sink is this tap thing with 2 bar written on it and an anti-clockwise arrow, it's on the pipes that go on into the bathroom, it has (what i'm guessing is) an overflow pipe which goes into the washing machines outlet pipe and the water is steadily flowing out of the side of the boat.

Anyone know what it is?

Should I replace it?

I love these times when I need a crash course in things I know nowt about!!

Cheers springy,

just on a side note we've now developed a leak, under the kitchen sink is this tap thing with 2 bar written on it and an anti-clockwise arrow, it's on the pipes that go on into the bathroom, it has (what i'm guessing is) an overflow pipe which goes into the washing machines outlet pipe and the water is steadily flowing out of the side of the boat.

Anyone know what it is?

Should I replace it?

I love these times when I need a crash course in things I know nowt about!!

Is it connected to your hot water tank? it sounds like a pressure relief valve

Certainly does sound like a pressure relief valve - notorious for getting clag on the

seat and then dribbling, which only leads to more clag on the seat ...

If you turn the knob in the direction of the arrow - you will feel some resistance

as you open the valve against a spring, it will then click and close again - this MAY

clear the seat & re seal, if it doesnt work first time it may be worth another couple

of tries - if it still refuses to seal then its b******d and you'll need a new one.

best done with the pump turned off, though some flow through the PRV may help

to flush it.

springy

right i replaced the valve kit and put it all back together hooked it all up and turned it on and it just ran and ran and no water is coming out of the taps.

things i've done -

opened all stop cocks and checked them twice

opened the taps

closed the taps

pressed in the pressure release on the accumulator ( i guessed it was like bleeding a radiator? )

i even tried banging the pipes ( and my head against the wall! )

I unscrewed the outlet from the pump, nowt coming thru

I've turned it off now

I guess i could have done something wrong putting it back together which i'll check tomorrow but any other suggestions?

things i've done -

opened all stop cocks and checked them twice

opened the taps

closed the taps

pressed in the pressure release on the accumulator ( i guessed it was like bleeding a radiator? )

i even tried banging the pipes ( and my head against the wall! )

I unscrewed the outlet from the pump, nowt coming thru

I've turned it off now

I guess i could have done something wrong putting it back together which i'll check tomorrow but any other suggestions?

Sometimes the pump has trouble priming itself, or there's a blockage upstream, I'd try the following:

Fill tank FULL

Open all taps

Put tray under pump

Loosed of INLET connection carefully until a good trickly of water comes out.

Tighten inlet connection

Switch pump on

Twist little red pressure relief thing on top of calorifer, sometimes helps

Cross fingers... wait... wait

Get ready to cheer or curse

Celebrate with by filling kettle from working tap to make tea...

OR scream and curse water pump, fill kettle from somewhere, cry into tea.

Hope this helps :)

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Does the accumulator not have to be pressurised?

yes but we can save that for later, first check for flow into the pump - with the

stop cocks off, disconnect pump inlet, then slowly open the valve on the fitting which

went on the inlet - this should be connected to the tank and water should flow so

turn it off again quick ! - No flow - blocked tank outlet may be possible to clear by

blowing back down the pipe - again be ready to turn the valve off quick.

Good flow - pump problem -

-- fitted backwards ?

-- I dont know these pumps - is it possible to assemble the valves wrong so

that you have two outlets ?

re accumulator pressure - you will need to re presurise the accumulator though

it can wait till you've got the pump working. There's a thread somewhere on here

about what pressure it should be - i'll see if i can find it

springy