Alternator Belt Labelling

Featured Posts

I'm looking to get a few spares to carry on my recently acquired narrowboat. It has a Barrus Shire 45 and I'm looking at the alternator belts, puzzling over the markings. the two belts are both labelled 11,9 x 950 and I am assuming these are the dimensions. I suspect 950 is the length in mm but what does 11,9 mean. Width and thickness perhaps???

They are also labelled 25052009C and 20052009C. Are these simply date codes - made on 25th and 20th May 2009 respectively or do they indicate a subtle difference in construction?

The barrus manual specifies part RDG 5757 but I cannot find the dimensions for that belt and there is no RDG5757 labelling on my belts.

Can anyone help me understand the belt markings?

I'm looking to get a few spares to carry on my recently acquired narrowboat. It has a Barrus Shire 45 and I'm looking at the alternator belts, puzzling over the markings. the two belts are both labelled 11,9 x 950 and I am assuming these are the dimensions. I suspect 950 is the length in mm but what does 11,9 mean. Width and thickness perhaps???

They are also labelled 25052009C and 20052009C. Are these simply date codes - made on 25th and 20th May 2009 respectively or do they indicate a subtle difference in construction?

The barrus manual specifies part RDG 5757 but I cannot find the dimensions for that belt and there is no RDG5757 labelling on my belts.

cannot help out with the long number but you are quite right to assume that 950 is the length and 11.5 is the width. I suspect that the reason your belt does not carry the Barrus number is because it has been replaced at sometime with "another" make. I get belts from my local garage they are usually "Gates" belts who seem to produce a huge range of belts. Hope this helps.

Phil

It will pay you to research for the best prices I suspect

I bought my spare belts from http://www.europarts-motorfactors.com

(I have no commercial connection with this business - just a satisfied customer)

I don't think that I have ever used the same item twice but have had no trouble for all that. Bought from independents is much less expensive than "Barrus badged" consumables. I have a spreadsheet of codes for the different consumables used over the years on my Barrus 45. Doubtless not the same configuration/model/series as yours; that would be just too easy.

Bob.

Hi

I have the same engine and both belts are the same size ie - 950mm long by 11.9 section available from all motor factors.

I like to use 'Gates' belts as they do last longer (but are a bit more expensive) and they come as 13 section - Gates No- 6468MC.

Fitting the inside belt is a pain, After taking of the outside belt, you have to remove the water pump pulley to get it to fit. - 4 x allen screws.

The alternator wont go far enough forward because it fouls on the water cooled manifold!!

Alex

Hi

I have the same engine and both belts are the same size ie - 950mm long by 11.9 section available from all motor factors.

I like to use 'Gates' belts as they do last longer (but are a bit more expensive) and they come as 13 section - Gates No- 6468MC.

Fitting the inside belt is a pain, After taking of the outside belt, you have to remove the water pump pulley to get it to fit. - 4 x allen screws.

The alternator wont go far enough forward because it fouls on the water cooled manifold!!

Alex

listen to alex and don't buy cheapest

Hi

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for the response. What is the advantage of using a 13 section belt as opposed to the 11.9 section? Isn't the section matched to the pulley profiles?

Richard

Alex,

Thanks for the response. What is the advantage of using a 13 section belt as opposed to the 11.9 section? Isn't the section matched to the pulley profiles?

Richard

Hi

I know what you are saying but the belt simply sits slightly higher in the pulley and slowly sinks as it wears. Never been a problem.

All belts seem to sink into the pulley as they wear.

Alex