coal. where is it mined?

magnetman

Featured Posts

If you consider all the foreign visitors who come to this country to view the Royal Palaces and Castles and spend their money in hotels,restaurants, and gift shops etc then I suspect we probably recover the cost of the Civil List in VAT receipts alone.

Then there are events such as Royal Ascot. Another big cash generator, and the greatest event in the racing calendar.

I think we would be a lot worse off, both finacially, and historically if ever the monarchy were to demise.

Or would you prefer our country to have a mad dictator,......Saddam ? Gadaffi ? Blair ?

• Greenie 1

EDIT: I think that one of the East Midlands opencast operations is on the site of the abandoned section of the Ashby Canal, and the ciontract calls for the mining company to rebuild the line of the canal once they have extracted the coal. But I may have to stand corrected on this point.

Yes - This is the old Menorca colliery at Measham - I worked there as a youth when they were washing the coal out of the old mine spoil tips (1988) The site closed as 'There was no more viable coal' in 1989.

We always said that the site would reopen in the future as extraction methods became more viable - Its a great score for the Ashby canal to get the x amount of puddling clay etc for the restoration - but we did :blush: dig the old bed of the cut up by accident whilst tip washing on night shift (I remember the washing plant running red from the clay !!!)

I believe the ashby is a long way off reaching Moira in my life time, I hope I'm wrong

Good info Benford, thanks.

Our boat was built by an ex-NCB man: Mel Davis. Had the pits not closed, he might never have discovered his considerable talents as a builder of fine boats. Every cloud, etc.

Apologies, completely :smiley_offtopic:

Hi Onion,

I think that your last sentence summed it up nicely. London and probably the Home Counties benefit most from the parasites. Conversely, northern parts appear less well off from the 'Royal novelty effect'.

With regard to the majority of people wanting them to be there, if a referendum had been taken shortly after they murdered Diana, it would have been interesting to see if this was actually the case. If nothing else, they and their lackies in the press, excel in covering up their excesses in moral and financial terms. For every decent one amongst them there are ten hangers-on leaching from the civil list.

The only ones benefiting from the Royals up north are the paint companies who supply the hundreds of litres of fresh paint to titivate the buildings that they visit, rarely. Buildings that until then, were left in a sorry state due to perceived lack of funds. It's a joke really.

With regard to them having zero effect on my life, that's not quite true when I consider that part of my excessive tax and vat payments that I slogged to afford over my working lifetime, went towards the civil list. If it was well spent on the NHS or looking after the true needy of this country then it wouldn't concern me too much. Seeing the likes of AIRMILES Andy splash our cash around the world on his many jaunts does bother me.

No, sorry, it infuriates me!

Mike

Uh Oh are you wearing a tin foil hat by any chance ?

Not the one begining with P by any chance, and if so how long ago?

The one beginning with B.

Uh Oh are you wearing a tin foil hat by any chance ?

:P

No, where can I get one though?

I'll bet they are more expensive than the republican alternative, especially if bought down sarf!

If you consider all the foreign visitors who come to this country to view the Royal Palaces and Castles and spend their money in hotels,restaurants, and gift shops etc then I suspect we probably recover the cost of the Civil List in VAT receipts alone.

Once again, statements such as these simply reinforce my concerns. Where are these hot spots of tourism mainly based? London and the Home Counties of course. It is only natural that the fairy tale story of queens, kings, princes and princesses are perpetuated when they are such a money spinner to all of the hangers-on who look to gain from their tourism popularity.

Keep the castles and palaces if that pleases you, just phase out the privileged whom occupy them at a cost (that us mere mortals shall never really get to know) that can hardly be justified to the whole of the population, not just the spivs down south.

Then there are events such as Royal Ascot. Another big cash generator, and the greatest event in the racing calendar.

Did you forget Aintree and the Grand National by any chance?

How on earth did the royal dictators of the past let that gem through their hands and allow it to be located amongst the peasants? I don't think that the real greatest event in the racing calendar relies upon toffs and glittering carriages to function successfully.

I think we would be a lot worse off, both finacially, and historically if ever the monarchy were to demise.

What, like poor Germany?

They really struggle on the breadline without the pomp and ceremony that we have to endure. If Kate Middleton passes wind the press want to know what colour it was.

With regard to the likes of Phoney Blair, from one extreme to another. At least we had the chance in the electoral process to oust this self serving, lying toad. With the monarchy, they remain in place through centuries of dictatorship without the population having any real recourse in how they misbehave.

'Above the law' comes to mind.

I can't believe some of the crap I'm reading here. Even the anti Royal campaign group Republic only put the total cost of the monarchy at £200m, around £12m per head for the 16 working royals which is not a massive amount when you consider the trade benefits for the country as well as localised tourism. Now, the government rakes in £10bn on cigarette duty alone - when you look at it in perspective £200m is nothing - I wouldn't imagine they get much change out of that to run a republic but then you need to rely on other forms of tourism - more theme parks perhaps in our lovely climate? Royals are popular come rain or shine.

Edited by Psycloud

You obviously have something of a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the Monarchy or the South.

The landscape and demographic of the country has evolved over many hundreds of years. It just so happens that London, the capital is in the south.

Geography is hardly a reason to declare a class war.

As for Germany. The country which allowed a mass murderer and racist to rise to power and kill millions of innocent men women and children.

Not exactly a shining example of equality and humanity.

• Greenie 1

Royals are popular come rain or shine.

That's the insanity of it all. Even after the Diana debacle where the grand old Duchess of York, Fergie, came on TV apologising for all of her transgressions, just in case she got popped off too!

The fact that they are still popular -for some- after all that went on, defies belief!

You obviously have something of a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the Monarchy or the South.

The landscape and demographic of the country has evolved over many hundreds of years. It just so happens that London, the capital is in the south.

Geography is hardly a reason to declare a class war.

As for Germany. The country which allowed a mass murderer and racist to rise to power and kill millions of innocent men women and children.

Not exactly a shining example of equality and humanity.

No, in reality, I have many friends from down South, some of whom admit that there is a bias towards the royal family, simply because of the fringe benefits that they bring to that area of the country.

With regard to Germany and its infamous past, at no time did I refer to Germans as being the epitome of equality or humanity, just the fact that they are a republic and are not on the brink of financial collapse through the lack of a monarch.

One of the facts that I should really appreciate though, is that I can speak my mind without fear of being clapped in irons and hung, drawn and quartered. Whereas in by-gone days, if anyone had the temerity to voice their disdain at the unfair taxation of the poor, simply to swell the coffers of the rich, whom after all, through inter-breeding, were all connected to royalty in some form or another, they would have suffered such a fate.

.....and to think, all this started by someone asking where his coal came from....

taslim.

I do apologise Taslim.

This, it appears is the foible of forums. Where the subject matter strays from the original theme from time to time.

I promise that I'll bring it back on topic as soon as possible. Unless that is, I'm beheaded in the Tower before I get a chance. :P

Edited by Doorman

'Above the law' comes to mind.

King Cnut laid down in common law the principle that even the king is not above the law it was again reinforced in Magna Carta and also we cut off the head of one king who refused to acknowledge this fact.

also as head of state the monarch has no power the cost of maintain the monarch comes out of the revenue of the crown lands and not tax.

In the United Kingdom, the Crown Estate is a property portfolio owned by the Crown. Although still belonging to the monarch and inherent with the accession of the throne, it is no longer the private property of the reigning monarch and cannot be sold by him/her, nor do the revenues from it belong to the monarch personally (as each monarch, upon accession, surrenders the surplus revenues in return for an annual grant known as the Civil List). It is managed by an independent organisation headed by the Crown Estate Commissioners. The surplus revenue from the Estate is paid each year to HM Treasury. The Crown Estate is formally accountable to Parliament, to which it makes an annual report.

Unquote

and if we did do away with the monarch who would we replace her with president Thatcher,Blair or god forbid Mr Clegg and do you think there would be happy with no power. And you can bet there would cost alot more.

King Cnut laid down in common law the principle that even the king is not above the law it was again reinforced in Magna Carta and also we cut off the head of one king who refused to acknowledge this fact.

Did they include Henry Vlll ?

Now there was an example of a paragon of virtue whom also ensured the timely deaths of spouses to allow him to marry again. Funny how history repeats itself don't you agree?

Did they include Henry Vlll ?

Now there was an example of a paragon of virtue whom also ensured the timely deaths of spouses to allow him to marry again. Funny how history repeats itself don't you agree?

But the queens which did lose their heads Had trials under the law were found guilty of treason then where sentenced according to the law.

Might have been a sham but again by the law.

Might be a moot point but Henry did not pass a sentence on them just signed the death warrant.

Bringing us back on topic.

Yesterday, I didn't particularly mind where the coal was mined as our top up 'winter' supply came around the corner by virtue of John & Jenny Jackson on board nb Roach. They also had the butty nb Gosport in tow 'just for the ride'.

Watching them bow haul the butty through the locks was amazing and reinforced my belief about how tough it must have been operating these working boats during the heyday years, as it still is now may I add.

Edited by Doorman