MSW inverter question

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I have a cheapo MSW inverter what has always looked after me well, running everything except the microwave. Now though I'm having trouble charging my laptop (macbook). The laptop simply wont charge off the inverter and I suspect it's the dirty power from the MSW which is the culprit. I'm confused because this hasn't happened before. What would make this become a problem where it wasn't before?

I can still charge my laptop via a 12v adaptor so all is not lost...

I have a cheapo MSW inverter what has always looked after me well, running everything except the microwave. Now though I'm having trouble charging my laptop (macbook). The laptop simply wont charge off the inverter and I suspect it's the dirty power from the MSW which is the culprit. I'm confused because this hasn't happened before. What would make this become a problem where it wasn't before?

I can still charge my laptop via a 12v adaptor so all is not lost...

Some adapters are more sensitive that others I believe.

12v is much easier anyway, the times I've tripped on that fffffing brick :lol:

Some adapters are more sensitive that others I believe.

12v is much easier anyway, the times I've tripped on that fffffing brick :lol:

Quite. I may need to install a couple more cigarette lighters...

sorry I'm not quite clear on the question - was the inverter charging the laptop before and now isn't or has it never charged the laptop ?

It used to charge the laptop. Now it doesn't. I don't think it's the lead.

So I can be as clear as possible: (I thought I had been :wacko: )

The inverter used to run everything except the microwave.

Now it runs everything except the microwave and the laptop.

The laptop charges fine on land.

So the lead is fine, the laptop is fine and the inverter still works (albeit with dirty modified sine waves).

It seems clear to me that the combination of the inverter and the laptop is causing a problem.

My question is what would cause this issue to develop when it was fine previously?

I do have a vague memory of this happening once before when my batteries were low but it sorted itself out after charging. This time charging the batteries hasn't cured it.

To me it seems like the laptop is just getting fussy in its old age and being all precious about the quality of the leccy it's getting.

So I can be as clear as possible: (I thought I had been :wacko: )

The inverter used to run everything except the microwave.

Now it runs everything except the microwave and the laptop.

The laptop charges fine on land.

So the lead is fine, the laptop is fine and the inverter still works (albeit with dirty modified sine waves).

It seems clear to me that the combination of the inverter and the laptop is causing a problem.

My question is what would cause this issue to develop when it was fine previously?

I do have a vague memory of this happening once before when my batteries were low but it sorted itself out after charging. This time charging the batteries hasn't cured it.

To me it seems like the laptop is just getting fussy in its old age and being all precious about the quality of the leccy it's getting.

quite mysterious - you've eliminated the lead as you say it charges fine off proper mains

so

two suggstions - try running the engine or using the inverter whilst the batteries are on charge (maybe the batteries aren't as good as they were or theres more volt drop in the supply to the inverter)

or could the laptop battery be getting on a bit and maybe its taking a bit more current than it used to (plus running the laptop itself)

what is the inverter by the way ?

quite mysterious - you've eliminated the lead as you say it charges fine off proper mains

so

two suggstions - try running the engine or using the inverter whilst the batteries are on charge (maybe the batteries aren't as good as they were or theres more volt drop in the supply to the inverter)

or could the laptop battery be getting on a bit and maybe its taking a bit more current than it used to (plus running the laptop itself)

what is the inverter by the way ?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd already tried running the engine.