How Do I Get A Long Term Mooring????

clbrof

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am looking into possibly getting a long term mooring. I want one around the Uxbridge area. I have looked on CRT website (which doesnt seem to work half the time...)

Does anyone have one already? Are the costs usually £1200+ pa (my boat is 47 foot), are there any other options (other than continuous cruising) ?

Many thanks

Colin

Hi all,

I am looking into possibly getting a long term mooring. I want one around the Uxbridge area. I have looked on CRT website (which doesnt seem to work half the time...)

Does anyone have one already? Are the costs usually £1200+ pa (my boat is 47 foot), are there any other options (other than continuous cruising) ?

Many thanks

Colin

Because they are sold at auction, you only know what price they will make on the day, when bidding has ended.

It can be very variable.

Te last mooring to go at Uxbridge Towpath was 14 metres, (so strictly not enough for 47 feet) at £1,240 on 24th January, prior to that the last one before wsa 18 metres, which made £1,418 on 3rd Sept last year. Both these sold at "reserve" - so the least CRT will let them at, and only one person bid, or they would have been more, had multiple bidders got involved.

At nearby Cowley an offside 16 meter mooring made £1,696 in early January, (still the minimum CRT will sell for, but more expensive because "offside"), but recently a full length 22 metre offside mooring at Cowley has made a staggering £4,755 per year.

In the current climate of rising demand you are probably now going to pay well over £1,200 to secure a long enough CRT mooring in that area.

So moorings can only be bought from CRT? Are there no other private moorings?

Colin

I think the majority of online moorings, (i.e. those where you are moored on the canal itself) in areas around Uxbridge will be CRT owned and operated, although there are a few associated with companies and boat clubs on the off-side which I imagine are privately operated, (these will probably still have to collect money paid to CRT to, or you will be rquired to pay your own "end of garden" fee to CRT in some cases, possibly.

Once you are talking about "offline" moorings, (i.e. in basins adjoining the canal), many are privately owned. (Although ones like "Packet Boat" are operated by British Waterways Marina's Limited - an offshoot, but separately trading company of BW, which became CRT - a kind of half way, some would say!).

Off-line prices are generally going to be far higher than on-line, (justified by better facilities and security usually), and instead of your suggested £1,200 figure, you may sometimes easily be looking at 3 or even 4 times that amount.

There is a shortage of moorings in the area generally, and a view that prices have been pushed higher as demand mounts from those not currently having one, and feeling the heat of greater enforcement activity by CRT in that area.

Hi all,

Many thanks

Colin

You say long term, but what sort of use do you want? Prices and availability are affected by the supply, and there is a far more restricted supply of residential moorings in the area.

Do you intend to have 'high useage'/liveaboard?

You say long term, but what sort of use do you want? Prices and availability are affected by the supply, and there is a far more restricted supply of residential moorings in the area.

Do you intend to have 'high useage'/liveaboard?

Yep i live aboard

Local planning authorities are getting more proactive in enforcing residential/non-residential use - hence mooring owners will be more careful when letting that they etsablsh evidence that you intend to use the mooring considtent with its designation. In the current climate, this is likely, I susepct, to push up the price of those with official residential use permission.