fuel

minddrifter

Featured Posts

Hello everyone me and two others are setting out next September for a year long live aboard experience, we are trying to cost the entire thing up as much as possible but need a little help.

how much do you think a 62 foot narrow would consume per mile in fuel ? just so we can try and cost it.

also while being on a cruise for the year how much does it cost to moor normally just little things like that.

thank you so much

VERY roughly 1/3 litre.

If you're genuinely cruising all year then you could pay nothing for mooring - by declaring yourself as a boat without a home mooring (ie continuous cruiser) on your licence application. Do a bit of research into the criteria you'd need to meet, though, to see if this is right for you.

Usually narrow boat fuel consumption is not measured in "miles per gallon" or "kilometers per litre", but in "litres per hour".

It is a surprisingly constant figure whether you are tackling lots of locks, (and hence not moving very far in an hour), or on a lock free streth.

For a typical modern engine in a typical modern boat, you can reckon on consumption being somewhere in the range from 1.0 to 1.5 litres per hour, unless you are trying to work hard against river currents, which might easily double the rate of consumption.

We use about 1.3 litres an hour in our more conventional leisure boat, whos engine date from the 1970s, and we are not famed for hanging about.

Hello everyone me and two others are setting out next September for a year long live aboard experience, we are trying to cost the entire thing up as much as possible but need a little help.

how much do you think a 62 foot narrow would consume per mile in fuel ? just so we can try and cost it.

also while being on a cruise for the year how much does it cost to moor normally just little things like that.

thank you so much

I estimate my Beta 43 engine at about a litre an hour...but then you will have to run it if stationery to charge batteries and heat water (or run heating to do that)

If you are cruising canals..most are under the one license...so no extra mooring costs.

Rivers entail extra license...so maybe look at Environment Agency site for costs...

If you put into a marina...a bit variable..but maybe £50-£60 a week ...

If out for a year...factor servicing....dependant on engine.

Mine needs servicing every 200-250 hours, filters/oil/fuel and 10 litrees of oil (how long is this bit of string..?)...maybe...£50 ??

Edited by Bobbybass

My 70 fter does approx 15 miles/ gallon... Surprisingly good really! that was over a 200 mile trip. 42hp Perkins engine. I'd suspect most nbs would be about that.. Cost of diesel around 1-1.25/litre. It won't be your major cost..

My 70 fter does approx 15 miles/ gallon... Surprisingly good really! that was over a 200 mile trip. 42hp Perkins engine. I'd suspect most nbs would be about that.. Cost of diesel around 1-1.25/litre. It won't be your major cost..

Most diesel for propulsion I have seen is about £1.40 lt