Transport from Yorkshire

rbateman

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've just bought a boat and am planning on living (and working) on it for the next few years. The boat itself is up in Mirfield in Yorkshire right now, having just been re-blacked, and I'm hoping to get it brought down to London, where I'm planning on mooring it (at least initially).

Transport is proving to be a problem though. I was hoping to use a transport company (someone recommended ABTuckey) to bring the boat down to Sheperton on a truck. The nearest crane to where the boat is currently dry-docked only operates on Saturdays, unfortunately, and both ABTuckey and Sheperton marina charge more to transport/crane on the weekends (which is understandable.)

So I was wondering: does anyone know of any cranes near Mirfield that don't operate only on weekends (or where to even start looking for them? Alternatively, does anyone know of a better transport company or place to get the boat dropped near London?

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all,

Ryan

Hi all,

I've just bought a boat and am planning on living (and working) on it for the next few years. The boat itself is up in Mirfield in Yorkshire right now, having just been re-blacked, and I'm hoping to get it brought down to London, where I'm planning on mooring it (at least initially).

Transport is proving to be a problem though. I was hoping to use a transport company (someone recommended ABTuckey) to bring the boat down to Sheperton on a truck. The nearest crane to where the boat is currently dry-docked only operates on Saturdays, unfortunately, and both ABTuckey and Sheperton marina charge more to transport/crane on the weekends (which is understandable.)

So I was wondering: does anyone know of any cranes near Mirfield that don't operate only on weekends (or where to even start looking for them? Alternatively, does anyone know of a better transport company or place to get the boat dropped near London?

thanks all,

Ryan

Why not pay some one like forum member Nigel Carton to move it for you?? You may find it is cheaper

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showuser=35

Edited by The Dog House

This may sound like an obvious question but why are you moving it by road at all? It's not a caravan! Fortunately for you there's an alternative using the fabulous inland waterways network. It would be a lot cheaper to move by water and, even better, you'll have a fantastic adventure!

If I had the time myself, I'd move it down there for you personally for half the price of your best quote!

Or is it a widebeam? In which case you'll have to get it out, but only for a small section of the route.

Hi all,

thanks all,

Ryan

Have you considered having it moved on the water?

Edit: need to type faster.

Edited by PiRSqwared

It's a widebeam, yes - sorry, should have mentioned. I'd take the time to move it at least part of the way myself but unfortunately I can't take the time off work right now.

Ah - then it cannot be moved all the way to London by Inland waterway.

It will at least need to be moved by road past the wide-beam pinch point between Foxton and Norton Junction.

Ah - then it cannot be moved all the way to London by Inland waterway

Yeah, that's what I'd been told/read. Ah well, I'll keep looking for places where it can be craned out.

Thanks for the replies so far, all - much appreciated.

Where is the boatyard with the weekend only crane? Have you tried Shire Cruisers in Sowerby Bridge. Only a day from Mirfield.

It's the Navigation Garage - an old boatyard that's now apparently a garage. Recommended to me by the local marina.

I wasn't aware of Shire Cruisers - I'll give them an email. Thanks, Dave.

Some years ago I had a boat moved from London to Yorkshire by a firm called Cramscene, based in Morley, on the recommendation of Shire Cruisers. Cramscene sorted the crane at the Yorkshire end, at the London end I used a crane hire firm which conveniently had premises alongside the backwater at Brentford, now redeveloped. I have had no contact with them since, but I think this is probably them. May be worth giving them a call.