K&A closed from Kintbury to Reading

arpeeuk

Featured Posts

There have been 2 announcements today that basically close the K&A from Kintbury to Reading until further notice.

-----------

County Lock 106 to Copse Lock 80

Tuesday 15 January 2013 until further notice

UPDATE (15 January 2013): County Lock 106 remains impassable and likely to remain so until the end of January 2013, possibly throughout February depending on weather conditions. The whole stretch, including the River Kennet, is in a dangerous state with flood water, and boaters are advised to stay put.

------------

Dreweatts Lock

Tuesday 15 January 2013 until further notice

Due to excessive water levels, Dreweatts Lock has been closed to boat traffic.

Craft wishing to navigate through this lock should call 03030404040 and ask for the Kennet & Avon Waterway office, where you can book an assisted passage through the lock.

A minimum of 24 hours notice is required to book a passage.

This restriction will remain in place until the current high levels subside, and work is completed on the Adjacent flood relief weir.

-------------

For those who are unsure Dreweatts is the lock between Kintbury Lock and Copse Lock east of Kintbury

Anyone heading east there are currently one or two spaces on the 48hr moorings at Kintbury

Rik

we are heading that way have been waiting for lock 65 to open , they opened it saturday , i was at work, so on monday my first day off they shut it again so we are stuck in bedwyn for two more weeks. The notification went on the web site just after i called to ask why it was closed ummm . So in reverse AGAIN back to the bridge and on 48 hour mooring for two weeks , in fairness they said that will be ok as i cant move . Its a real pain for me as i have to commute to london everyday and its really hitting hard financially.

Its a shame about dreweatts lock but not surprising, the weir above that lock is in place to handle excess water from the upper kennet, has been in a state of disrepair for some years, due to comparative drought conditions in the past few years i'd guess they spent money elsewhere.

The rest of the kennett is in a real state levels wise, i've not seen it so stubbornly high for many years, boats around here are trapped between two river sections and any movement is minimal, cart have not managed to get the waterpoint at the k&a trusts cafe operational yet, which means people are either using the elsan point tap or the standpipes at ABC neither ideal really.

They are currently completely rebuilding the weir above Dreweatt's lock. It's currently dammed off which is what is causing the problem.

There is another weir on this pound, just below Kintbury lock but there is so much water about the levels either side of it are almost the same and they can't get any more water over it.

I walked down to Dreweatt's a few days ago and in places the water is flowing over the towpath. Not just flooding the path but flowing over it like a weir, several inches deep in places. It going to cause damage to the towpath but there's not much that can be done to prevent it I'm afraid.l

Rik

That weir has been in a terrible state for years, when it was working, that whole pound would flow for months most winters, then they altered the weir above kintbury (opposite the rectory through the channel under the footbridge) alegedly to prevent any chance of water being diverted from the kennet and its fisheries, along the canal, unless levels were very high. A few years back the rebuilt the 1st weir below kintbury lock, it appeared to be built narrower than the old weir, perhaps we are now paying the price for their penny pinching.

When i had a mooring on the 'island' as water levels rose you could see water leaking through the bank into the weir stream behind, i wonder when that will give way?

When i had a mooring on the 'island' as water levels rose you could see water leaking through the bank into the weir stream behind, i wonder when that will give way?

That's interesting, I'm moored on the 'island' and don't fancy being cut off because the banks been washed into the weir stream. I'll have a good look tomorrow as I wander that way

Rik

Edited by arpeeuk

Really??

I thought that was merely a rumour started by folks that lived there..........

Well we have constant cruising, constant moorers, & constant moaners. " glass houses"

"keep up the good work" :clapping: Get all the boaters you dont like off the cut.

But then the canals may go. :banghead:

Then you could put wheels on the bottom and call it a caravan.

And have a whole new group to whinge about. " :cheers:"

• Greenie 1